Author Topic: Golfers Vasculitis,red rash in sock area  (Read 816 times)

Doddy

Golfers Vasculitis,red rash in sock area
« on: 12:22:48, 18/07/18 »

Any tips to try on avoiding the rash would be helpful; though the condition is understood prevention is a bit of a mystery to Physicians and Google info. I think temperature is involved and possibly grass. Long pants seems to work and I have mentioned wearing different socks works for a while.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Golfers Vasculitis,red rash in sock area
« Reply #1 on: 18:23:33, 18/07/18 »

I've only had it a few times, usually around my ankles and occasionally round my knee in association with a knee brace I sometimes wear. The only common factor was sustained strenuous walking in hot humid weather but it happens rarely even then. Fortunately, I have found it fades within 24-48hrs if I rest or walk less vigorously the next day.  The only advice I can give is don't push too hard, especially when it is hot. Make sure the affected areas can "breathe" - easy with a knee brace, just go without; harder round the ankle area, can't go without footwear!
As regards grass - although I have a grass allergy, this seems to have no bearing on the occurrence of the condition. Similarly, I only ever walk in long trousers so I don't think that is a causal factor.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:30:17, 18/07/18 »
Don’t get me started on this, I’ve suffered with it for years!  >:(  It’s also known as Hikers Rash. I’ve been to the doctors with it a couple of times and you’re right, there’s no cure and nothing seems to work that will prevent it completely. It also apparently affects more women of shall we say mature age  ;D

I have worked out over the years that for me, although heat is a factor, sun isn’t, but humidity definitely is and worse than just heat. I have had it with long trousers and shorts, and have tried different socks. I think like you mention, the terrain is also a factor.  We have walked in Snowdonia and the Lakes this year and although fairly hot and I might have expected to get it, I only really got a few spots around the sock line, but when I have had it really bad, it’s been very red and painful and almost up to my knee.  The ground was mostly rocky, and I seem to get it most of all when humid and grassy. It’s ok if only walking one or two days but we have done quite a few long distance walks and if it builds up, it can really be quite painful. The worst time was on the Cotswold way, whereas the Pennine way it barely occurred at all.  

So what helps? Nothing works completely but several things seem to ease it.  I rub nappy rash cream into my legs before starting the walk.  If you start to get it during the day, dipping your legs in a cool stream is a good idea. After the walk aloe vera gel seems to sooth it most. I also got some antihistamine tablets (fexofenadine) from the GP which if I start to get the rash, I will take one before heading out. That’s all I can think of for now, if I can remember anything else I do I’ll come back to you. Good luck!  O0

Doddy

« Reply #3 on: 10:35:27, 19/07/18 »
Thank you for tips. The rash does go away quickly. It is strange, I did three weeklong walks last year and never suffered, don't think I wore shorts at all. It recently occurred after a three day outing - in shorts part of the day. The present temperatures seem to have brought it on. On long walks I sometimes take 200mg Ibroprufen at night to stop any stiffness the next day and I noticed that reduces any redness, presumably reducing inflammation.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy