Author Topic: Nuttalls Chapter 12 with children  (Read 1772 times)

Donpeblo

Nuttalls Chapter 12 with children
« on: 09:30:18, 24/09/18 »
Hi All,

Will be in area next weekend for Yarndale (Saturday) but have organised with the wife and kids to go walking on the Sunday :)

We will be based in Giggleswick which means the following hills are on my immediate radar:

Group 1
Pen-y-gent
Plover Hill

Group 2
Darnbrook Fell (+South top)
Fountains Fell

I am not overly familair with the area but am working my way through the Nuttalls. Does anyone know if are any good routes that would suit kids (9 & 7yrs old) and still getting into Hill Walking for these hills? GR for a start point & rough route should do. Of course any tips are very welcome.

Thanks
Donpeblo

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Nuttalls Chapter 12 with children
« Reply #1 on: 14:37:17, 24/09/18 »
My route for group 1

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2505

A bit of supervision will be required for the ascent of Pen-y-Gent and the final drop off drop off Plover Hill. The route as shown would be a long day for 7-9 year olds but if you park on Silverdale Road by the Cattle Grid at Dale Head you can shorten it by cutting out the climb from Horton following the PW instead.  The section halfway between the two peaks can be boggy, I strayed away from the wall line to avoid them.
Solvitur Ambulando

Donpeblo

« Reply #2 on: 11:43:01, 25/09/18 »
Thanks very much, the forecast looks good so we will be out on the hills having a good time!

Donpeblo

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:38:49, 26/09/18 »
As Ninthace implies the descent from Plover is 'tricky'.
It is very steep in places and crumbling. Makes sure the kids are not ahead at this point. They will probably cope better than adults, but be safe.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Donpeblo

« Reply #4 on: 13:28:21, 27/09/18 »
Hi Peter,

Point noted.

Although an experienced & generally sensible walker I did end up once with the kids on a route we really shouldn't have been on. Too demanding and too exposed. Luckily the weather was kind and the worst that happened was we were exhausted and a little traumatised by the end of it. However the lesson was learnt. In a funny way the kids also learnt you can't underestimate mountains -  so maybe some good came of it?

So I will tell them what I have learnt here and we'll tackle it safely together.

Thanks
Donpeblo

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy