Author Topic: Finally starting SWCP Sun am-Fuel for Stove?  (Read 1936 times)

Douger

Finally starting SWCP Sun am-Fuel for Stove?
« on: 15:49:33, 05/12/19 »
Making my way to start at Newquay-in Sat night.  Need to buy some camp stove gas for my jet boil.  Get in around 730pm Sat night and I think all the camping stores are closed in NQ on Sat night and Sunday.  Anyone know where I can find some fuel before I set out?  Do grocery stores have it in NQ?  Also-any advice on the Path this time of year would be great.  Maybe doing 7-10 days.  Camp half the time hotel half the time-or maybe not at all.

davengf

Re: Finally starting SWCP Sun am-Fuel for Stove?
« Reply #1 on: 17:18:41, 05/12/19 »
Not been there for ages but I had a quick look on the interweb.
Try these, worth ringing ahead to make sure they have stock etc

Millets Newquay - 01637 808971
12-14 Bank Street TR7 1JF
Mon-Sat - 0900 - 1730
Sunday  - 1000 - 1600

Newquay Caming & Leisure - 01637877619
11 Cliff Road TR7 2NE
Nothing on website regarding opening hours.

Would be worth ringing round local petrol stations

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:05:06, 05/12/19 »
Making my way to start at Newquay-in Sat night.  Need to buy some camp stove gas for my jet boil.  Get in around 730pm Sat night and I think all the camping stores are closed in NQ on Sat night and Sunday.  Anyone know where I can find some fuel before I set out?  Do grocery stores have it in NQ?  Also-any advice on the Path this time of year would be great.  Maybe doing 7-10 days.  Camp half the time hotel half the time-or maybe not at all.

Can you not buy a cartridge before you leave, or whilst on-the-way >

Douger

« Reply #3 on: 22:37:09, 05/12/19 »
Unfortunately I cannot buy one before I leave as I am flying from the US and you cannot pack fuel.  I should have been more clear as to the specifics.  I will look around paddington before I get on the train-I have an hour or so.  Sometimes small grocery stores closer to the coast may stock them.  I thought maybe a Tesco or the like may have them. 

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:55:40, 06/12/19 »
Understandable then.

Doddy

« Reply #5 on: 11:10:52, 11/12/19 »
Before my hikes I Google search for shops in my first village/town and phone to ask what if they stock meths or white gas; maybe even try a contact in the local Chamber of Trade for advice. After flying I have the similar issue sourcing Methylated spirits for my alky stove. I don't do gas stoves on long hikes because of the availability of canisters. Meths can be a problem but I can use twigs at a pinch.

However it can go awry in Castlebay, Hebrides I rocked up to a Co-op to get some only to be told they hadn't any; I said you told me you had two weeks ago; lady said we did two weeks ago, doh. A local opened up a shop nearby to get me some - just when I thought about getting some twigs.

In Montreaux I walked off the train straight into supermarket who had meths.

The other issue with Meths is disposal of some at the hike start as it may come in a heavy one litre bottle; looks very suspicious ditching some at an airport. In a rushed airport departure in Stornaway the check in desk told me to flush it down the toilet.

Douger

« Reply #6 on: 08:58:20, 12/12/19 »
Thank you all.  Ended up getting some fuel in St Ives at hardware store.  Outstanding advice.  For a us person not knowing the ins and outs of this hike, most helpful.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:07:36, 12/12/19 »
Good Luck with the walk - and apologies for the British weather, at least the wind should be blowing you on shore :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy