Author Topic: Roche abbey South Yorkshire  (Read 1290 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Roche abbey South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: 10:38:37, 06/12/19 »
Wednesday was a free and dry day so I went to follow another walk idea, 8 miles from Roche abbey, South Yorks, not far from the Derbyshire border. After leaving the abbey ruins area twas along the watercourse, through the hamlet of Stone, through turnip fields and some impressive mud, coming to the site of an old RAF base which is just a patch of concrete now.
Theres a pic of Firbeck church...........leaving Firbeck I made a pigs ear of it, walked past a woman sweeping leaves on a quiet lane out of the village..........thought this cant be right........went back, past the sweeper............before realising had been correct first time! Couldnt face going past the sweeper a 3rd time, was only a small quiet village and I had been getting a few looks! Found a path on map going south, thought that will do, can loop round on B road......crossing the long field was a trial, had to shake mud of my boots every min or so, never known such clingy mud, no way to escape it, was weighing me down twas so heavy. After lots of mud and road walk, got back on the route..............came into Laughton en le Morthern and skipped a bit of the route to cut a corner off as was maybe half past two and wanted to be back before dusk as was parked in a very quiet out the way car park.....ended up on a minor road not the path I wanted going East...cut over a field n got on the correct path...puff pant, time knocking on............found a bench with a nice view over fields....too wet to sit on...hurry on, down into kings wood, back to Roche abbey , over stepping stones, back to car, was only 3.15pm, job done.
A fairly average walk, but a few bits of interest.  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:12:37, 06/12/19 »
That is serious mud  :D  Pumpkin heed doesn't like bacon  ::)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:37:03, 06/12/19 »
That is serious mud  :D  Pumpkin heed doesn't like bacon  ::)
Beefy doesn’t like it either  :D
If you put your hand in your pocket more often you wouldn’t sink so far in the mud  ;D
Great pics pleb O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:13:03, 06/12/19 »
That's serious mud.
Laughton-en-le-Morthern - what a great name, wondering how the locals pronounce it.
Good pics especially the 'sunlight through the arches of the abbey'
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:50:50, 06/12/19 »
Beefy doesn’t like it either  :D
If you put your hand in your pocket more often you wouldn’t sink so far in the mud  ;D
Great pics pleb O0
Whats this, the food police?  ;D
Nowt in my pocket but holes.................. :(

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:52:34, 06/12/19 »
That's serious mud.
Laughton-en-le-Morthern - what a great name, wondering how the locals pronounce it.
Good pics especially the 'sunlight through the arches of the abbey'
Its said "lofften" in le morthern, brampton in le morthern is another village not too far away. Dunno what morthern means though.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:28:40, 06/12/19 »
Its said "lofften" in le morthern, brampton in le morthern is another village not too far away. Dunno what morthern means though.
One pronunciation I'd not thought of! Morthern - wiki - seems to be of Norse derivation meaning 'moor assembly'. Maybe gathering or settlement would be more a appropriate but which had ceased to have functional use by the Norman conquest.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:12:29, 06/12/19 »
Splendid mud shot  O0   :D

I like the misty church but wouldn't dare cross those stepping stones!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:45:11, 10/12/19 »
Some nice photos there pleb O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy