Author Topic: Circular routes in Manchester?  (Read 1844 times)

Obinice

Circular routes in Manchester?
« on: 03:20:26, 07/01/17 »
Hey there guys and gals, new chap reporting in!

I'm going along on a multi day hike in 6 months up in Scotland, and need to prepare. I'm used to walking a few miles to work a few days a week, but I'm not used to carrying any weight like a pack, tackling inclines, or walking on ground that isn't paved! Good legs, but the rest of me not so good :P

So, I want to get started on prep asap. I'd like to get out into nature more anyway, partly why I'm so excited about this trip! So right now I'm hoping to find a couple of circular routes that I can pick from depending on what I feel like that day, that would also range from a few hours to most of a day to complete so that I can work up to the longer/more strenuous routes. I'd slowly be building up the weight in my pack over the weeks and months, and allow myself to become comfortable using the gear I'll be bringing along for the main event.

I'll probably do a route twice a week on my days off, eventually on back to back days when I feel capable. I want to know I won't get 3 days into this hike and be unable to do day 4! I want to be well prepared :)

I live near Manchester Airport and while I don't drive, I can very easily hop on a train at the airport and go wherever. So I'm looking for routes that start near train stations that's not a crazy far distance. I was thinking of Glossop? Thing is, I don't know what the best routes would be this time of year, I don't want to head out onto what like like a great route only to find winter weather has made the terrain impassable. For example, this route looks great and includes a GPX file for me to use, which starting out I'm a big fan of:

(I tried to post the link here but the forum wouldn't let me sorry, just Google "Bleaklow Circuit from Old Glossop Peak District Walk", it's the mudandroutes.com result)

But only you folks who've done these routes and have experience will be able to tell me where to go and where not to go, etc. I know I'm a newbie but I'm eager to get out there and learn. I put myself in your hands! Oh, I'm a male in his 20s btw :)

And if you're wondering no, this isn't a sudden new year's resolution thing haha. This trip's been on the drawing board for a few years but only just came together concrete recently, so now I'm switching into training mode, only coincidentally in January :P

Thank you for the help!

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Circular routes in Manchester?
« Reply #1 on: 09:21:57, 07/01/17 »
Hi Obinice,
First of all well done to you, for deciding to get out and prepare for an adventure like you are O0

My first piece of advice would be to stay away from the Bleaklow area. I have walked the route you mention many times and it's not a walk you want to start training on.
The terrain is very tough to cross, with very few path, and some of those can just disappear in front of you. Your navigation skills with map and compass need to be good, and especially in winter. Maybe at the end of your preparation, when you have picked up some experience?  O0

I would suggest catching the train to Edale from Piccadilly, with your O/S map (OL1) and compass and head up onto the ridge of Mam Tor or heading north up Kinder Scout by way of Grindsbrook, but keeping to the paths on the rim of Kinder, as again like Bleaklow, navigation becomes tricky.
The Vale of Edale is a good training ground, plenty of good paths, lots of hills easy to navigate, you can plan a walk from 2 miles to 20 miles and you can change your route anytime, heading down into the valley when you've had enough. It's also a busy area, so you can always ask someone for advise should you need it O0

Hope this helps, and good luck ;)
« Last Edit: 17:32:05, 07/01/17 by jontea »
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:45:23, 07/01/17 »
A nice walk from Edale is to ascend ringing Roger from Edale then along the edge of Kinder to Grindslow clough; Then either return by the clough or carry on through the woolpacks (fascinating spot) to Noe Stool. The pick up the Pennine way and return  via Jacob's ladder, and upper booth etc..

Hopefully, GPX attached. :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:05:01, 07/01/17 »
You'll find your legs use some very different muscles when walking up hills and "off road" if all you're used to is flat pavements, so bear that in mind for your first few training sessions  O0   

Found this walk from Glossop Station - 5 miles moderate ascent:

http://www.hvhptp.org.uk/walks/glossop%20line%20walks/walk3.html

I'd echo what jontea says about brushing up on your map and compass skills.

Edit:  There's actually a couple of short walks to/from train stations on the site I got that ^^^ link from :

http://www.walkinginderbyshire.co.uk/glossop.php

« Last Edit: 21:25:48, 07/01/17 by Mel »

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:01:38, 08/01/17 »
« Last Edit: 09:05:43, 08/01/17 by redeye »

Obinice

« Reply #5 on: 16:06:37, 08/01/17 »
Thank you for the wonderfully warm welcome, was worried I might be shunned for being a newbie :P I just wanted to pop I and say I didn't just make a post then run away, I've come down with the flu and my heads a mess but I'll come reply properly when I'm better  :)

Obinice

« Reply #6 on: 23:50:15, 09/01/17 »

Well, feeling somewhat better this evening! Could be because I managed to sleep most of the day... :P

My first piece of advice would be to stay away from the Bleaklow area. I have walked the route you mention many times and it's not a walk you want to start training on.
Gotchya! Thanks, I wouldn't have known :)

The Vale of Edale is a good training ground, plenty of good paths, lots of hills easy to navigate, you can plan a walk from 2 miles to 20 miles and you can change your route anytime, heading down into the valley when you've had enough. It's also a busy area, so you can always ask someone for advise should you need it

Edale seems lovely, I had never even heard of it! I found this route which seems to follow your suggestion and sticks to the paths on the map, in fact it's almost identical to Hillhiker1's suggestion, only this one follows Grinds Brook (good to have alternatives to keep things interesting!):

Still can't post links here, top result Googling "kinder scout walking route gps routes"

Hopefully, GPX attached.

Thank you! I'll definitely use this route, it's almost identical to the one I found above, and different enough to be a breath of fresh air :)

One walk we did a couple of years back is Peel tower that starts from Ramsbottom station
That does look lovely, thanks for thinking ahead and screenshotting a map on the blog! The PDF map sucks and the original route you link to is dead, god even knows what visitmanchester.com did with that stuff ha.

Also Stanage Edge from Hathersage station
I thought Hathersage looked a bit far, but compared to Edale it's practically next door. Hah. I'll check it out :)

I'm not clued up enough to have anything useful to say in most of the conversations that go on here I'll bet, but I'm gonna try to stick around, read, and ask questions here and there. I have a couple of questions on clothing brewing in my head...(I'm clued up on layering, just not so much on what are good brands/specific items/affordability, etc, will make a thread at some point)..:P

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy