Author Topic: LDNPA complicit in the despoilation of the Lake District - again  (Read 1635 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: 15:07:29, 07/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
How can you ban them, unless there is someone there 24/7 ensuring the ban is enforced.
Like my post on the nuisance of 4x4s, there was a desire by Gwynedd Council and Welsh Water to prevent 4x4 vehicles who were intent on despoiling the Drovers road above Dyffryn.

Banning a group of vehicles is one thing, enforcing it is another.

Even the best will in the world, cannot prevent off road vehicles from venturing off road, and causing untold damage to the footpaths and bridleways.

If they are banned from one area, they will only find another location to pursue their activity.

I certainly hope something can be done, but the so called Green Lobby in Parliament is composed of the very people who own these 4x4s, and see nothing wrong with carving up the rights of way, that by law, they have the right to use.

Its certainly not an easy situation, as 4x4 vehicles, other than local farmers have been using bridleways and ancient footpaths for decades.

Maybe charging them a levy to use these right of way, so when damage is caused, the revenue collected can be used to employ staff specifically to repair the damage.

I suggest few of these vehicle owners purposely go out of their way to cause severe erosion from their large tyres.

If a small toll could be collected granting these vehicles access to the hills, the money long term, could be used to repair the inevitable damage.

Banning the vehicles simply will not work, controlling them, by making them pay for the long term damage they cause, seems a better solution.

If vehicle owners refuse to pay this nominal charge, then access will be automatically denied them.

As we all know, repair of our National Parks costs millions every year, so to go on enjoying their recreation of driving off road, those responsible can help pay towards their pastime.
« Last Edit: 14:46:28, 13/09/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

taxino8

How can you ban them, unless there is someone there 24/7 ensuring the ban is enforced.
Like my post on the nuisance of 4x4s, there was a desire by Gwynedd Council and Welsh Water to prevent 4x4 vehicles who were intent on despoiling the Drovers road above Dyffryn.

Banning a group of vehicles is one thing, enforcing it is another.

Even the best will in the world, cannot prevent off road vehicles from venturing off road, and causing untold damage to the footpaths and bridleways.

If they are banned from one area, they will only find another location to pursue their activity.

I certainly hope something can be done, but the so called Green Lobby in Parliament is composed of the very people who own these 4x4s, and see nothing wrong with carving up the rights of way, that by law, they have the right to use.

Its certainly not an easy situation, as 4x4 vehicles, other than local farmers have been using bridleways and ancient footpaths for decades.

Maybe charging them a levy to use these right of way, so when damage is caused, the revenue collected can be used to employ staff specifically to repair the damage.

I suggest few of these vehicle owners purposely go out of their way to cause severe erosion from their large tyres.

If a small toll could be collected granting these vehicles access to the hills, the money long term, could be used to repair the inevitable damage.

Banning the vehicles simply will not work, controlling them, by making them pay for the long term damage they cause, seems a better solution.

If vehicle owners refuse to pay this nominal charge, then access will be automatically denied them.

As we all know, repair of our National Parks costs millions every year, so to go on enjoying their recreation of driving off road, those responsible can help pay towards their pastime.
I think you’re spot on.
I’ve owned a Defender for more than twenty years, I love them but I’d never drive it on one of these tracks just because I could.
A permit system seems an obvious solution and the funds could go towards repairing any damage.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy