Author Topic: Newlands round  (Read 1663 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Newlands round
« on: 12:50:01, 03/09/17 »
Yesterday was my first time on the Newlands fells and the weather and route combined to make this one of my favourite walking days of the year - a massive difference to the six hours of clag of the previous Sunday in the Haweswater fells.

I parked up at the small car park at Gutherscale so was straight into the climb onto Catbells and, right from the off the views started opening out;

View over Derwent Water as I worked round the ridge leading to Catbells

As the climb went on the views just got better and better;

View back over Skiddaw and Blencathra ranges

Bumped into a young dad and his son on Catbells - it was wonderful to see the enthusiasm of the youngster who was very keen to point out that this was not his first peak and that he wanted to do all the Wainwrights as fast as possible!

We kept walking and the views kept getting better and better -

View from Maiden Moor back towards Catbells

I normally walk solo but a young Polish colleague had asked me to take him with me yesterday so I was really pleased that he was getting to see the fells in their true glory - however despite giving him 25 years he was struggling with the amount of climbing, so I realised on the climb to Dale Head that we should shorten the planned route and omit Robinson - so that's another straggler I've left to climb another day!

On the route up to Dale Head we bumped into a group of 4 young girls doing the DoE gold weekend - they looked well knackered after the climb from Buttermere up to Robinson carrying full kit!  But they also looked like they were having a great time.  We then bumped into the boys from their group as they were approaching Dale Head - really good to see young people getting a kick out of the Lakes - clearly not all of them spend all day on their phones (though one of mine does!).

Peak of Dale Head - that's some drag up from Dalehead Tarn.

I'm afraid that was it for piccies - my colleague was beginning to suffer so I spent a fair amount of the walk to Hindscarth and then down the ridge and back to the car in encouraging him and the camera stayed locked away.

The fells were wonderful yesterday - early morning sun and the heather in bloom were some combination.  I have not walked the North Western fells and the views of them has got me very excited for a four day break in early October.

Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Newlands round
« Reply #1 on: 13:46:16, 03/09/17 »
Great photos and report 

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:52, 03/09/17 »
Lovely clear piccies O0
I hope your mate wasn't put off and returns to the Lakes again ;)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:30:50, 03/09/17 »
Great report and photos O0  Newlands is my third favourite round after Great Langdale and Coniston :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:09:07, 03/09/17 »
Thanks everyone - really enjoyed the day.  My colleague wasn't put off - he was buzzing - he's trying to persuade his wife to do some walking and we both reckoned a wander up Catbells followed by lunch would be a good way to get her interested!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:43:47, 05/09/17 »
Lovely shots, you had great weather for it  O0
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:51:40, 05/09/17 »
Thanks Paul for the report and the pictures  O0

Good on you encouraging your colleague to try rambling, you've got fantastic scenery to tempt him to continue.

I think one of the great achievements of the Duke of Edinburgh was encouraging youngsters to fend for themselves outdoors. I was lucky that the Scout Association did the same for me.

Regards Keith

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:03:16, 06/09/17 »
Cheers Keith - it was quite funny as I am someone who often walks alone so I was a bit taken aback when he asked to come with me.  However we had a good day and it was nice to see someone's reaction who had never been on the fells properly before.  I've promised to take him again in October.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:33:54, 06/09/17 »
Great TR. Great that you were able to share your enthusiasm with someone newer to walking.
Fave photo - the one from Maiden Moor back to Catbells and Skiddaw/Blecathra is a cracker.  O0  Mine rarely turn out that well... :o

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:20:52, 06/09/17 »
Cheers Sarah - I think the quality of the view and of the morning light may have helped! 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy