Author Topic: Baggage Transfer - Positives and Negatives  (Read 7985 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Baggage Transfer - Positives and Negatives
« Reply #15 on: 20:44:11, 28/09/19 »
I walked both the WHW and the GGW in May 2008.  I didn't use any spray or netting but I didn't get bitten by any midges however I guess that they don't fancy me - or anything/anyone else for that matter! ;D ;D ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:49:39, 28/09/19 »
My hopes are to do it end of April/beginning of May for the very reason of midge-avoidance (they LOVE me  :(  )

Really sorry about the thread hijack Deolman  :-[

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:58:30, 28/09/19 »
Like Harland I used a service on a part of the Camino Frances when I wanted to cover distance. I never had any problems there, I arranged the company daily, there were many to choose from, usually the staff at the albergues (hostals) recommended one company over another and made the arrangements. The fact that my bag was ahead of me certainly kept me walking a few extra miles daily.

I think if I had knowledge of a similar ad hoc type transfer infrastructure I might have been tempted to use it when I abandoned the GGW due to hurting myself earlier this year.
Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:28:03, 29/09/19 »
We have used baggage transfer services on all our LDW’s, having not started multiday walks until into our 50’s and me with an already dodgy shoulder. So we’ve had lots of experience of different services.  I can understand the preference for carrying everything yourself, but for us it seemed like the best option, like some have said if its that or not do the walk, there’s no choice! I daren’t think about how much we have paid for this service over the years, but its a lot! We always book up the accommodation ourselves as using a “package holiday” company is very expensive, and they often use one of the baggage transfer companies anyway. A solo walker we often met up with while doing the Pennine Way had paid more than both of us put together! (And he got no choice of where to stay and often a not so nice single room). We did once use Sherpas accommodation booking service when we did the C2C as we were both still working and didn’t have the time. Thats a good compromise, as you just pay them an admin fee. Below is a list of the ones we have used:-

Dales Way - Brigantes
Coast to Coast - Sherpa Van
Cotswold Way - Carryabag (part of Compass Holidays)
Hadrian’s Wall - Walkers Bags ( seem to no longer be operating)
Pennine Way - Brigantes
Offas Dyke - no service available, B&Bs or taxis transferred bags
Two Moors Way - Luggage Transfer Services

There’s more choice of companies on the more popular walks. Sometimes we have used a service because they offered car parking and/or people transfer to/from start or end. We were a bit concerned when booking up Offas Dyke but it worked really well, they seem to have it off to a fine art and theres obviously no need for a transfer service. The cost has varied greatly. I think we have paid as little as £6 and as much as £20 per bag per day! (The £20 was on the longest leg of the Two Moors Way this year, and this has probably been the most expensive trip but they are the only company operating there). Something to bear in mind is the fact that they often charge for a minimum of 2 bags so it can work out very expensive for a solo walker.

The services on all of the walks have gone well. The bags have always arrived before us even when we’ve had a short day. The only exception was in Bath at the end of the Cotswold Way when they had got stuck in traffic jams (though it was their last drop off and it was only 20 mins after the deadline so we forgave them!) We nearly had an issue this year on the Two Moors Way when the B&B said they would only be there in the afternoon and I knew they would probably drop off in the morning. In the end the landlady decided she could be there after all. It was off route a bit and the baggage company had not been there before. Usually the B&Bs and baggage companies are familiar with each other so know roughly drop off times or have somewhere safe to leave bags.

Sorry for the long post, hope theres some useful info!  ;D

Deolman

« Reply #19 on: 17:58:34, 29/09/19 »
You make some good points. The debate that is sometimes had on the merits of camping as against the use of B&B’s I have never really understood. At the end of the day it is just a personal choice. Personally I can’t see any joy in either camping or caravanning and much prefer the home comforts of a B&B. With regards to baggage transfers I have never found them over-expensive but maybe that’s me.
Walkers Baggage on the HWT have ceased trading. Brigantes I have used them once on the Dales Way and will not use them again. I object to a courier storming into the breakfast room whilst eating my breakfast at 08:15 and demanding my baggage as he has a busy day and even more so when Brigantes can’t  even be bothered to reply to my emailed complaint.
« Last Edit: 18:02:27, 29/09/19 by Deolman »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:49:34, 29/09/19 »
Reading this thread with interest.
All my multi-day expeds have been in the wild, so no chance of B&B or baggage transfer. If I were to do a long-distance walk where such a thing was possible, I'd definitely consider it. Whilst I enjoy camping, I don't see the point when down low. If I was in a B&B or hostel overnight I could have a laptop and get some writing done after each stretch of walking - a bit like I do when I move into a hostel for a week and do 5hr walks in the morning up into the mountains and then write all afternoon.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:18:50, 29/09/19 »
Really interesting topic.  I am another who tends to B&B or pub stay.  When I was cycle touring I got used to carrying minimal extra gear, so I am used to carrying everything I need, though I don't need much.  When I cycled LEJOG one of my younger colleagues said my entire luggage for 10 days was less than her make-up bag for a weekend away! And I found that I took a couple of things I didn't use!  Now I quite like being self-sufficient but I also see the advantage of these services.  Indeed on my C2C earlier this year, one of the guys asked why we had to carry everything when there was an alternative.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:11:09, 01/10/19 »
Deolman - sorry to hear of your experience with Brigantes. It’s when something goes wrong that you know how good a company is.

Pdstsp - the alternative does cost though! You could look at it the other way and say why pay someone to carry your stuff when you can carry it yourself! To start with we sort of resented paying out but now we just accept that it’s that or probably not do the walk!

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:17:02, 01/10/19 »
I camp and carry all my own gear for the flexibility that permits. Using B&Bs and baggage services (even if they exist on the more obscure routes I prefer to walk) would mean a rigid schedule that destroys much of the pleasure for me.

I like to vary the distance covered each day depending on the weather, my mood, and what's around me. Visits to points of interest along the way are part of the routine as is changing the route! :)
One exception that I ponder is to walk the SWCP staying in the grand 4* hotels along the way. But that calls for serious money!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:50:20, 05/10/19 »
Baggage carrying services, they should all be banned! Then the trails would be the domain of serious long distance walkers and not all these casuals who would never be able set foot on a trail if they had to carry their own gear like us dedicated lot. The trails would be less crowded, like they used to be, more peaceful and not as worn, and accomodation if you needed it would be cheaper. Ban the lot that's what I say! :o

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:59:10, 05/10/19 »
Just in case my post above has upset anyone, it was a joke. I feel that I may be coming to that time shortly where if i want to carry on doing long distance trails I may have to stop carrying my own gear and use such a service. It will of course cost much more than wild camping with the odd b&b. These services have indeed opened up the trails to people who for one reason or another wouldn't do the routes if they had to carry everything, but there is more than one way to follow a route and these services facilitate that.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 12:09:45, 05/10/19 »
Just in case my post above has upset anyone, it was a joke. I feel that I may be coming to that time shortly where if i want to carry on doing long distance trails I may have to stop carrying my own gear and use such a service. It will of course cost much more than wild camping with the odd b&b. These services have indeed opened up the trails to people who for one reason or another wouldn't do the routes if they had to carry everything, but there is more than one way to follow a route and these services facilitate that.

Oh - shame - I was looking forward to the responses - you should have left at least a couple of hours for people to 'bite' :)

but hopefully it will be sometime before you have need of a baggage service.
« Last Edit: 12:21:51, 05/10/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:12:11, 05/10/19 »
How about being borne aloft by bearers and save all that walking altogether Slogger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsdaWEYHw4
« Last Edit: 12:15:16, 05/10/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Deolman

« Reply #28 on: 17:20:02, 05/10/19 »

As well as benefits for the walker there are also benefits for the many small, often isolated, village communities.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:07:12, 07/10/19 »
How about being borne aloft by bearers and save all that walking altogether Slogger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZsdaWEYHw4
Ha,ha, now that would be something!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy