Author Topic: Newbie sends greetings  (Read 2433 times)

JenKW

Newbie sends greetings
« on: 13:03:09, 03/04/19 »
Hi WalkingForum.  Here I am, sitting at home nursing bruising and muscle damage after losing it on a slippery path, tumbling head over heels down a steep, rocky, heathery slope then ricocheting off a ledge to land smack on my back in a stream a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, I was wearing a padded daypack which absorbed the impact across my spine otherwise I would not have walked off the hill.  I was coming down the path above the stream that flows from Moel Siabod lake/tarn down to the forestry tracks to Dolwyddelan and Capel Curig in Snowdonia.  Lesson learned - remember to use poles for every greasy, wet walk!  Best bit, I've signed up to WalkingForum and hope to be able to share more successful outings in future  :) .

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie sends greetings
« Reply #1 on: 13:09:09, 03/04/19 »
Hi Jen and welcome to the Walking Forum.

Is Snowdonia your usual walking area?

Ridge

JenKW

« Reply #2 on: 14:10:25, 03/04/19 »
Not until a fortnight ago  :) .  Actually, I was born in Snowdonia and this was the first visit back after a too-long absence of many years. Hope to return more often in-between more frequent visits to Borrowdale in the Lakes, which is our primary walking area.  Everyday walking is across the fields and through the woods of East Leicestershire where I live when not in the Lakes.  The dogs and I got to know our local area really well last year as we did one of the Viewranger walking challenges, which became a bit obsessive in terms of clocking up a certain number of miles each day.  Happy to be taking it more easily this year and just enjoying walking for its own sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:38:12, 03/04/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. Falling down, tell me about it! The most embarrassing one was falling into a stream overloaded with cow droppings!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:31:43, 03/04/19 »
Welcome from Aberdeenshire. We have all probably had embarrassing falls. I too have been protected by a rucksack when inadvertently attempting a (failed) somersault when descending a Munro at Glenshee. It was hilarious to my walking companions.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:43:36, 04/04/19 »

Hi WalkingForum.  Here I am, sitting at home nursing bruising and muscle damage after losing it on a slippery path, tumbling head over heels down a steep, rocky, heathery slope then ricocheting off a ledge to land smack on my back in a stream a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, I was wearing a padded daypack which absorbed the impact across my spine otherwise I would not have walked off the hill.  I was coming down the path above the stream that flows from Moel Siabod lake/tarn down to the forestry tracks to Dolwyddelan and Capel Curig in Snowdonia.  Lesson learned - remember to use poles for every greasy, wet walk!  Best bit, I've signed up to WalkingForum and hope to be able to share more successful outings in future  :) .

Welcome from Devon.
Trust you'll be back to full health soon. Meantime, enjoy the forum

Welcome from Portsmouth. Falling down, tell me about it! The most embarrassing one was falling into a stream overloaded with cow droppings!

Why were you carrying cow droppings?
« Last Edit: 09:15:19, 04/04/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:02:54, 04/04/19 »
Welcome from Liverpool - and from someone else who is prone to the occasional slip from vertical to horizontal.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:00:50, 04/04/19 »
Hi Jen, a welcome from Shropshire from one of the old 1960's crag rats, who probably too much of his youth in Snowdonia.
Tumbles on the end of a rope have now been replaced by such, as so aptly described by yourself. A particular one was after successfully descending a little known waterfall in mid-Wales on the end of a whippy sapling. A successful action that was marred by slipping on a rock trying to cross the stream below. My rucksack saved me, much as yours did, though it did not stop my Nikon bridge camera from a total immersion. The rest of my X Wales walk went unrecorded, but the happy outcome was the 3yr old Nikon was just in the insurance that I thought I had been oversold by the camera salesman, and I got a brand new Canon as it was the nearest replacement they could offer.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:20:52, 04/04/19 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

That must have been a nerve wracking tumble, hope your recovery goes well.
We know that path well in ascent, an excellent approach as a precursor to the Daear Ddu ridge with Llyn y Foel dramatically appearing at the head of the outflow. I notice that an awful lot of people carry poles, we've never used them.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:40:58, 04/04/19 »

Welcome to the forum from Orkney, Jen - I was lucky enough to live in Dolwyddelan for 10 years, and I know Moel Siabod well, a fine mountain.

I find that most of my tumbles happen on the way down, when I think that the difficulties are over and I lose concentration - ended up on my backside in the Lake District a few weeks ago. Hope that you mend soon and get out on the hill again.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

JenKW

« Reply #10 on: 14:49:27, 10/04/19 »
Thanks to all of you who have posted such friendly and welcoming messages, especially those who have experienced similar mishaps and survived to tell the tale with humour.  I think poles are brilliant - two extra legs for support - but I got out of the habit of using them when I spent a few weeks in the Lake District last year with our two dogs and found large dogs + two leads + two poles a bit too challenging.  Going back to poles now though with the dogs attached to a waist belt.  Anyway, aches and pains much improved and my new camera has arrived to replace the one that ended up more damaged than me so I'm looking to trying it out on the stunning UK landscape very soon.  Cheers all, Jen - ps - Richardh I grew up in Dolwyddelan and loved Moel Siabod - my first real mountain.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:07:56, 10/04/19 »
Thanks to all of you who have posted such friendly and welcoming messages, especially those who have experienced similar mishaps and survived to tell the tale with humour.  I think poles are brilliant - two extra legs for support - but I got out of the habit of using them when I spent a few weeks in the Lake District last year with our two dogs and found large dogs + two leads + two poles a bit too challenging.  Going back to poles now though with the dogs attached to a waist belt.  Anyway, aches and pains much improved and my new camera has arrived to replace the one that ended up more damaged than me so I'm looking to trying it out on the stunning UK landscape very soon.  Cheers all, Jen - ps - Richardh I grew up in Dolwyddelan and loved Moel Siabod - my first real mountain.

Waist belts are the way to go with dogs, but you must use a shock absorbing lead. I tether my energetic spaniel to me using 10mm bungee cord, doubled over for half it's length, and secured with karabiners. Works a treat!
« Last Edit: 20:06:17, 10/04/19 by richardh1905 »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:08:01, 11/04/19 »
Hi Jen and welcome from the Peak District O0

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:50:27, 11/04/19 »
Two large dogs might be a bit much on a waist tether, though!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy