Author Topic: General Gear - Please Help  (Read 1199 times)

peter670

General Gear - Please Help
« on: 17:16:45, 10/06/19 »
Hi guys,

As a project, I am redesigning one piece of hiking gear. If you feel that one piece of your kit does not perform as well as you would like, please let me know along with the issue. I will be happy to share the results once it is finished.

Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: 17:21:18, 10/06/19 by peter670 »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: General Gear - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: 17:36:52, 10/06/19 »
Hi Peter,
The clear plastic window of the leatherette case for my Garmin Etrex gps goes yellow and harder to see through with time and I have to replace it every 2 years.  It could fit better and be more weatherproof too.  https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/94379
Welcome to the forum btw
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:59:29, 10/06/19 »
HI Peter, Welcome to the forum.   What sort of walking do you mainly do.

I would think that in this day and age the fitting of boots should be simple, so a digital foot measuring device that matches feet to the actual boots in stock in any store would be not only fantastic for the consumer but time saving and thus cost effective for the retailer.
Custom insoles are currently made using digital foot measuring equipment it would only be a small technical step to go one step further and match feet to boots.

« Last Edit: 20:41:15, 10/06/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:42:43, 10/06/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth.

peter670

« Reply #4 on: 23:22:00, 10/06/19 »
Thanks everyone for your help, keep the suggestions coming!  O0

strawy

« Reply #5 on: 22:16:03, 11/06/19 »
An affordable daypack/backpack/rucksack/potatosack that keeps your back sweat free,good luck with that one  :D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:48:39, 12/06/19 »
My two Lowe Alpine packs do that  O0
Where there's a will ...

Patrick1

« Reply #7 on: 08:02:51, 12/06/19 »
An affordable daypack/backpack/rucksack/potatosack that keeps your back sweat free

The Osprey packs with the "trampoline" style backs are also worth a look with that objective in mind. My Osprey Exos was just under £100, not sure if that comes in your "affordable" bracket or not, but for me its been worth the money...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:50:47, 12/06/19 »
I too have a 'trampoline' type back on my Osprey Exos 48L. It works very well. What I would like designed is 'snap on' waterproof gaiters, faffing about with hooks, press studs and zips is a chore and I'd like it designed with soft material at the knee end! I mostly wear my gaiters under my hiking trousers as I find they keep me dryer this way. I also use a Rain Skirt, a pleated design would be very useful so that I can jump across rocks more easily than I can do at the moment and to use a better secure method at the waist rather than relying on velcro. I've made my own hand 'sleeves' to cover my fingers to keep them dry when it rains a lot. I've just cut the sleeves of an old Goretex jacket at the elbow and secure them around my wrists, under my jacket sleeves. They work very well but look a bit 'Heath Robinson' though, a neater design wouldn't come amiss. Perhaps some kind of magnifying, snap-on and flip-over screen to make my phone maps easier to see. I think my other idea has been made already, but if it hasn't, to utilize my walking stick tubes to become a container for brandy, I can then leave my hip flask at home. Last but not least, cheap re-usable razor blades to stop the price tyranny of Gillette blades!  There you are, that'll keep you busy for a while.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:38:53, 13/06/19 »
My two Lowe Alpine packs do that  O0
Completely agree and they are pretty affordable O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy