Author Topic: Best boots for wet grass?  (Read 6939 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Best boots for wet grass?
« Reply #15 on: 14:32:22, 15/06/19 »

I also have mixed feelings about Altbergs, I've had 2 pairs and don't think I'd buy them again.
I know a lot of people praise them for being long lasting, but a friend I walk with regularly must have an anti-Altberg gait or something, as hers fall to bits after a couple of years just like any other boot.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:41:45, 15/06/19 »
I know a lot of people praise them for being long lasting, but a friend I walk with regularly must have an anti-Altberg gait or something, as hers fall to bits after a couple of years just like any other boot.
Despite what she might be telling you I think you'll probably find that the truth is that she just isn't putting enough effort into cleaning and maintaining them properly.  ;D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:45:54, 15/06/19 »
On the contrary, I have watched them doing the maintenance over many years and I can assure you it is meticulous.  Much more so than mine.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:04:25, 15/06/19 »
Whalley Warm & Dry's boot care advice posted here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38457.msg547101#msg547101 might be worth reading and passing on to her.

I've owned and used a number of different of Altberg models (Fremington, Malham, Tethera, Nordkapp and Mallerstang) and followed that advice and never had a single problem. Obviously the soles don't last forever and do eventually wear out depending on mileage and the terrain but the leather should still be in good condition.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:26:44, 15/06/19 »
There are other quality leather boots that are every bit as good as Altberg's it really depends which fit your feet the best. There seems to be something of an obsession with this brand boot at the moment, they won't fit everyone feet no matter how good they are and fit is the most important factor when buying new boots. I personally prefer Zanbamlain Trail-lite's even though they are quite difficult to find these days. They just fit me so well.   

My last 2 pairs of boots have been Zamberlan Ultra-lites. Not really ultra lite! But in every other respect..comfort, grip, longevity, waterproof.....I’ve been really pleased with them.

Vendee

« Reply #20 on: 15:29:15, 15/06/19 »
Thanks to everyone for their replies. My current boots are definitely leaking through the forward flex points and not just running down my legs. You can clearly see from the damp patches when i take my boots off. I do have gaiters but don't often need to wear them. Regarding wearing wellies, I used to wear them years ago when my walks were shorter and more leisurely but these days I walk for fitness and I feel I need the support of a proper boot.

I had a look at the Oboz boots.I'm not that keen on a nubuck finish. My current boots are nubuck but because I didn't find the spray proofers any good, I resorted to traditional wax so the nubuck finish is wasted really. The Altbergs seem a touch pricey for me. What about Berghaus, are they a well respect brand? The Berghaus Supalite II are within budget as are the Scarpa Ranger II. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:45:33, 15/06/19 »
Thanks to everyone for their replies. My current boots are definitely leaking through the forward flex points and not just running down my legs. You can clearly see from the damp patches when i take my boots off. I do have gaiters but don't often need to wear them. Regarding wearing wellies, I used to wear them years ago when my walks were shorter and more leisurely but these days I walk for fitness and I feel I need the support of a proper boot.

I had a look at the Oboz boots.I'm not that keen on a nubuck finish. My current boots are nubuck but because I didn't find the spray proofers any good, I resorted to traditional wax so the nubuck finish is wasted really. The Altbergs seem a touch pricey for me. What about Berghaus, are they a well respect brand? The Berghaus Supalite II are within budget as are the Scarpa Ranger II. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

About a dozen years ago first boot I used when I started doing a fair bit of walking again was Brasher Supalite...which was “ancestor” of Berghaus Supalite (Berghaus took over Brasher).

Found it a really comfortable boot, stayed very water-proof over a fair number of years (one of the few boots I bothered to have re-soled). Only relative “weakness” was that grip on wet rock left a fair bit to be desired.

Looking at design..Berghaus don’t seem to have altered much..a leather boot without much stitching, be surprised if it didn’t give a good quality of water-proofing.

However, I’ve got a feeling it was Gunwharfman’s choice of boot for several years but he was slightly disappointed with last pair he bought. But given my memory..I might well be wrong on that!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:55:19, 15/06/19 »
What about Berghaus, are they a well respect brand? The Berghaus Supalite II are within budget as are the Scarpa Ranger II. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

Berghaus can be a bit hit and miss, they do some good kit but also some cheap stuff. Scarpa are very good as long as their comfortable, as with all boots. Really don't get hung up on brands try on lots of different boots, comfort is everything.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:02:28, 15/06/19 »
What about Berghaus, are they a well respect brand? The Berghaus Supalite II are within budget as are the Scarpa Ranger II. Anyone have experience with these? Thanks.

Both Berghaus and Brasher used to be the market leaders back in the 80's and were both very well respected brands.

Since then I believe Berghaus have been bought out by the same group which also owns Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors and Go Outdoors and as usual in these cases the quality has taken a nosedive together with any respect they once had.

Prior to being bought out Berghaus bought the Brasher brand as they too went to the wall. At that time believe it or not the Brasher HillMaster was the best selling boot in the country and probably the main reason Berghaus bought Brasher. The Berghaus Supalite II is basically the Brasher Supalite with a slighly different design and sole unit stuck on it. In today's market it's a sub £100 boot with a build quality to match.

The bottom line with boots is that you really do get what you pay for in terms of build quality and expected life. In my opinion there really is a reason for the old saying "buy cheap, buy twice"  ;)

Assuming both boots fit your feet my personal choice between the Berghaus Supalite II and the Scarpa Ranger II would be the  Scarpa Ranger II - it's a better quality boot.

As a guide to prices and what is possible I recently bought a pair of Altberg Malham for £130 and a pair of Altberg Nordkapp for £157 from Gaynor Sports in their 30% Off RRP Easter Offer. If you are not in a mad rush to buy it might be worth going somewhere to get measured and try some on and then wait patiently for the right online offer to come along. Once you know your size it's also worth keeping your eyes on eBay and Gumtree for second hand bargains.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:29:10, 15/06/19 »

Kinkyboots, I'm sorry you find any criticism of Altberg boots so upsetting that you have to imply that anyone who has a different experience to yours must be incapable of reading and following simple instructions.  Is that not a tad patronising?
Are they so much  more complicated and time-consuming to maintain than other boots? If so, it's not the best advertisement.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:19:50, 15/06/19 »
Kinkyboots, I'm sorry you find any criticism of Altberg boots so upsetting that you have to imply that anyone who has a different experience to yours must be incapable of reading and following simple instructions.  Is that not a tad patronising?
Are they so much  more complicated and time-consuming to maintain than other boots? If so, it's not the best advertisement.

I don't find it "upsetting" at all but I think you would have to agree that there must be an underlying reason and explanation for that different experience?

I'm sorry that you find my genuine attempt to provide a possible explanation and offer help and advice to try and resolve the issue patronising.

If the problem is not down to care and maintenance other possible causes could possibly be where and how the boots are being dried after walks or even where they are being stored between walks.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:52:47, 15/06/19 »
I used to have a pair of Scarpas that never leaked. They were well treated with Nikwax after every excursion and that seemed to work. The uppers were scratched to pieces from scrambling and the soles eventually wore down from many miles, plus much scrambling. They never gave me blisters, they didn’t have a Goretex lining ((I am not sure Goretex existed then). However, I can’t wear a current Scarpa as they are too narrow. You need to try many boots to see what suits your feet. If you get good leather boots with minimal seams the will stay waterproof with good care. To me the waterproof liner is an unnecessary gimmick. I now have Altberg Tetheras that have yet to be fully tested, but also have fabric boots (Merrell MOAB) and these have been very comfortable but not really tested in wet weather. Horses for courses 🐴🐴

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:59:39, 15/06/19 »
There is nothing worse than when you have to replace a much loved pair of boots and they have gone and changed them so the new kind don't fit.  I had a  pair of Raichle boots, the most comfortable I have ever had, they lasted years, and when I went to look for another pair Raichle had gone, and the firm that took them over had changed the style of the boots, and it took years to find anything as good.

Vendee

« Reply #28 on: 10:15:10, 25/06/19 »
So having decided on buying a pair of Scarpas, I was checking out stockists and reading reviews when one reviewer mentioned using goretex socks in conjunction with leaky leather boots. This never occurred to me and given that my current boots aren't worn out, just leaky at the flex point, is using goretex socks rather than splashing out on new boots a feasible solution? Thanks.

Pitboot

« Reply #29 on: 11:15:41, 25/06/19 »
Goretex socks will eventually fail, in my experience. Good for a short term fix if you can get a comfortable combination.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy