Author Topic: Viewranger/OS maps  (Read 2535 times)

Warbler

Viewranger/OS maps
« on: 21:43:12, 23/06/19 »

Help please.

I have the Viewranger app on my phone. I also have a subscription to OS mapping. How do I synchronise the two to enable me to view OS maps through the Viewranger app, assuming this is possible to do?

When I try to select OS mapping in Viewranger, it prompts me to buy a subscription to OS, which I already have.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger/OS maps
« Reply #1 on: 21:56:14, 23/06/19 »
OS maps have a subscription facility  which you use on the OS app.
Viewranger also have the facility for you to take out an OS subscription to use on their app.
However, confusingly,   the subscriptions do not pass from one platform  to the other. So your subscription can only be used on the OS app.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 22:04:05, 23/06/19 »

How strange and very annoying.
Thanks jimbob.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:43:54, 23/06/19 »
How strange and very annoying.
Thanks jimbob.
Annoying or irritating yes.  Strange no.  OS makes money from selling you their mapping.  VR makes money from selling you OS mapping.  If you could use your OS subscription on VR, what would be in it for VR?

I am curious  to see how the competition between the 2 apps goes.  OS routes are free whereas VR routes can cost credits.  As a route consumer I prefer OS, as a route creator I prefer VR because I can earn credits to subsidise my trips.  For example, I used my credits to buy a subscription to maps of NZ.  As a route contributor VR recognises my contribution, on OS I am anonymous.VR is worldwide, OS isn't.   VR offers a range of maps, OS doesn't but its maps are superior in some ways but less so in others.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:47:37, 23/06/19 »
Ninthace O0
Also Viewranger customer service is really good. I am still waiting for OS to respond to a question from over a year ago.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:00:16, 23/06/19 »
Ninthace O0
Also Viewranger customer service is really good. I am still waiting for OS to respond to a question from over a year ago.
  Surprising.  I agree about VR customer service but equally when I had a Q for OS I rang them and they answered it then and there.  VR are a bit slow to add credits and their maths don't make sense.  My routes cost 33 credits to download but my credits don't grow by multiples of 33.  I asked VR why - didn't get an answer other than "don't know".
Solvitur Ambulando

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:04:58, 24/06/19 »
   My routes cost 33 credits to download but my credits don't grow by multiples of 33.  I asked VR why - didn't get an answer other than "don't know".

Could it be because they are working on a model similar to most businesses where if you 'buy' something at (say) £100 you need to sell it at £125.

They 'buy' your route and give credits of (say) 25, but 'sell' them at 33 credits per route.
Maybe they can then do something with the balance of credits ('pay' for more routes) ?

Just a thought as to why.

maxmarengo

« Reply #7 on: 13:38:49, 27/06/19 »
ViewRanger have to pay VAT and a share of sales to the platform (Google/Apple). They usually also get a share of the sale, so if you sell for 33, you will likely get credited with 50% or less of that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy