Author Topic: New Boots  (Read 7800 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
New Boots
« on: 06:45:01, 28/09/07 »
I've left this too late to ask .. but what the hell, might as well try  :(

This weekend I intend to buy some new boots, no more than £85.00.  I've been hoping to spot a bargain set somewhere, but haven't really seen any.  Hull has most of the big outdoor shops: MIllets, Blacks, etc, so will probably be checking there.

Can anyone reccomend something to me.  I was looking at the Berghaus, and they seem decent enough, but there were a lot of other boots, cheaper as well, that seemed as good.

What do you think? Come on Snowman, you must be able to suggest something  ;)

Cheers

peter60

Re: New Boots
« Reply #1 on: 09:51:42, 28/09/07 »
You don't say what sort of boots you're looking for Mr B. 3 season, 4 season, full grain leather, fabric, GTX or non-GTX?

Frankly, I think your budget is too low. It's worth spending £110 on a pair of Scarpa Rangers in my opinion. An excellent 3 season boot, full grain leather, Vibram sole: totally waterproof.

My friends have had some bad words to say about Berghaus boots. The soles have fallen off or worn out prematurely. They don't always use a Vibram sole either. Millets do some fairly decent stuff on a budget with the all important Vibram sole in their Peter Storm label. You could check them out here.
« Last Edit: 09:54:46, 28/09/07 by peter60 »

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:01:49, 28/09/07 »
Hi Pete,

You're right, I didn't specify.  Looking for 3-4 seasons, have mostly been using leather boots so far but interested in changing, preferably with GT.

I just did a recon to Millets and Blacks, I thought the Peter Storm looked good, cheap as well (which to me is always a bonus).  I've read somewhere before that Berghaus boots wear down pretty fast, but they seem to be really decent.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's so good about Vibram souls? I noticed the Peter Storm carried them

Cheers

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 15:58:51, 28/09/07 »
Hi MB,

I suppose I'd better say something then.   If you're shopping on a budget I've heard that Contour are a very good buy.   No direct experience though.

However I have to agree with Peter60 to a great extent, for good boots you do need money.    Last time I bought cheap boots many years ago, the leather split, mud got inside and made a horrible lump that dried out and dug into my feet.    They did the job while they lasted, trouble is they didn't last long.

Having said that I sometimes wonder how much we pay for a name?

Vibram - that and similar soles are grippier.    You know what it's like, you're up a mountain and it's been raining, and you're traversing a lot of rock slabs lying at a steep angle and very wet?    Well Vibram and other good sole materials will keep you on your feet rather than sliding on your bum.

S.

peter60

« Reply #4 on: 16:01:35, 28/09/07 »
Vibram have been making boot soles for over 60 years. They are the de facto standard for boot soles. The yellow block in the middle of a boot sole is a dead give-away and the sign of a Vibram sole. They're hard wearing and reliable.

If you're in the price bracket you specified, then the Millets boots look good. A friend of mine has them (Peter Storm) and threw out a pair of Berghaus when the soles wore out. He loves the Peter Storm boots!

Scarpa do a Ranger GTX for about £110 (full grain leather), they also do a lighter ZG65 GTX (XCR) boot for £100.

The only reason for buying a 4 season boot that I would entertain is if I wanted to fit crampons. If you don't, most 3 season boots are just fine, even for scrambling and rock hopping.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:57:56, 29/09/07 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies .. I'm going to buy the boots today, still not sure which yet, though Vibram souls are a must.

I'm not particularly limited to the price range I mentioned, but don't want to get swallowed into the buying the best equipment which I'll hardly use.  My main terrain is fields, woods and country lanes.  I need a boot that is going to cope with distances.  Trust me, though, when I do start to climb and scramble, this site will be the first place I come to ask advice  ;)

Also, if I go for the Peter Storm I can also pick up a couple of Sigg bottles that I have my eye on.  Standard 1lr for around £13.00 each.

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it <<Blister nods to Snowman and Peter60>>

Will let you know what I go for   8)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:53:02, 29/09/07 »
OK, so I changed my mind about the Peter Storm  ::)

Instead I went for a Johnscliffe Highlander II:

http://www.jacksandjills.co.uk/acatalog/info_12.html

Ok for what I need, and I made sure that Vibram souls were there as well.  One curious thing though, I'm a size 9 usually, but the size 9 was simply too big. I laced them up pretty tight but still my foot slipping about inside, and so went for a size 8 instead.

I bought them for £54.95, which I was quite pleased with but only a casual five min Google search found them near enough fifteen quid cheaper.  Lesson to be learned there somewhere, me thinks.  I also picked up a couple of Sigg bottles for £11.00 each, and a map cover.  I'm dubious about this last item, as it seems a little bulky, but it was a bargain at only £3.00.

Thanks for your help again guy.  ;)

Snowman

« Reply #7 on: 10:41:57, 01/10/07 »
Good luck with the new boots MB.

The only thing I would add is that in my opinion one shouldn't get too carried away with Vibram as an essential.    While it may be the yardstick by which others are measured, that doesn't mean it is, or will always be the best.    A yardstick is just that, a measure not an ideal.

Relying on just one brand can result in that brand achieving monopoly status and therefore dictating price.    I believe this has happened with Goretex, which while obviously good, hasn't always been the only good product of it's type.   However good marketing and unfortunately mediums such as this forum have wiped out some excellent competition.    The result - you'll pay more for Goretex because there's no alternative.

S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:08:06, 01/10/07 »
Good luck with the new boots MB.

The only thing I would add is that in my opinion one shouldn't get too carried away with Vibram as an essential.    While it may be the yardstick by which others are measured, that doesn't mean it is, or will always be the best.    A yardstick is just that, a measure not an ideal.

Mm, true, I'll bare it mind ..

I'm out tomorrow on a fifteen mile jaunt (maybe a bit much for a new boot), so I'll let you know how the Johnscliffe fare - I'm wearing them as I type this, trying to soften them a little.

si

« Reply #9 on: 14:53:53, 01/10/07 »
A bit late i know but we have found an outdoors shop in loughborough (a few others around the country) called go out doors(www.gooutdoors.co.uk [nofollow]) they have loads of bargains and a massive selection may be worth a look for future refference ;)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 05:46:14, 02/10/07 »
A bit late i know but we have found an outdoors shop in loughborough (a few others around the country) called go out doors(www.gooutdoors.co.uk) they have loads of bargains and a massive selection may be worth a look for future refference ;)

Hi Si,

Thanks for the comment, just checked the site, seems the closest store to me is Sheffield (I'm in Hull).  Seems like a good site, though, certainly something to keep an eye on.

Cheers  ;)

si

« Reply #11 on: 20:16:11, 02/10/07 »
 O0

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:23:53, 03/10/07 »
Mr B

I know everybody has their own ideas and preferences but have you tried assent shoes, it seems that most people want 3/4 season boots but wont really get to use 4 season as intended ?

I am not for one minute stating that you dont or wont but for day and weekend walks their are some really great offers around at this time of year for the likes of N/F hedgehogs and the like.

Also i realise you have now got your boots but good for future 'ref'. sorry i was late in posting. :-[
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:24:43, 04/10/07 »
I know everybody has their own ideas and preferences but have you tried assent shoes, it seems that most people want 3/4 season boots but wont really get to use 4 season as intended ?

Also i realise you have now got your boots but good for future 'ref'. sorry i was late in posting. :-[

Worry not about the late post, all advise is good, if not for me then for someone else who may be reading this, besides, you're a busy man  ;)

Not come across assent shoes before, I'll check them out.  :)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:25:14, 05/10/07 »
A sort of cross between a walking shoe and a training shoe. lightweight and very comfortable but no ankle support. But you can really make time up by wearing them  O0

Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy