Author Topic: Bank Holiday Saturday in Snowdonia  (Read 3048 times)

Jonmelson

Bank Holiday Saturday in Snowdonia
« on: 17:39:32, 23/08/17 »
Hi Guys,
I'll apologise immediately as I understand many of you may consider this a little cheeky as this could be considered 'your home' and I'm a random stranger who's barged into your living room, but....

..I'm driving to Snowdonia Friday afternoon, camping at Idwal and planning on going up Tryfan on the Saturday morning before heading to Pen Y Pass and going up Snowdon via Crib Gogh, then back down the Miners Path.

I didn't know if any of you regular guys & girls were doing something similar?

I'm not hugely experienced when it comes to varied walking/hiking but have put in plenty of miles with significant weight on my back and tend to move fairly quickly.

If anybody out there is doing similar, or would just like to be around to laugh when I have a panic attach on Crib Gogh, please let me know.
Cheers!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Bank Holiday Saturday in Snowdonia
« Reply #1 on: 10:33:19, 25/08/17 »
Currently the weather forecast is very changeable, its actually drizzling here in Dyffryn at the moment, and Snowdon was enveloped in cloud yesterday, and this morning, with afternoon rain.
Having rigidly set two routes for your Snowdonia visit, is not advisable, what if the weather does not improve.

An ascent of Snowdon is fine, but you need fine settled weather for an attempt on Crib Goch, and currently the weather is not in a settled frame of mind.

Not that an ascent of Crib Goch is not possible in poor weather, as many walkers cross its narrow ridge in all kinds of weather conditions, but its better to travers it in dry clear conditions.

Tryfan is not a personal favourite of mine, so i cannot advise you on the merits of the mountain.

Just check out the weather forecast for the National Park, before you set off, and have a couple of alternative walks in mind, if the weather remains poor.

MikeW

« Reply #2 on: 10:59:41, 25/08/17 »
Just wondering are you planning on 'going over the top' to get from Tryfan to Snowdon or back down to your car and drive around to the base of Snowdon to join the bank holiday weekend parking gauntlet? Pity your not doing 2 days then you could do a circuit of Tryfan and the Glydders one day and the full Snowdon horse shoe the next.

Jonmelson

« Reply #3 on: 11:31:13, 25/08/17 »
Hi Guys, thank you both for your replies.

I know weather can be changeable and ultimately affect plans, but I'm nothing without a plan in place! I'm looking to do specific things rather than walk freely so have planned timings and route to best accomplish these things.

I was also looking for some company so thought it best to outline plans!

Mike, whist I had planned a roundtrip to do it in one expedition I had the distance at 20 miles & would necessitate an overnight camp and I thought wild camping this weekend would be asking for trouble. :)
I have wild camped on Snowdon before but didn't fancy carrying a large pack over Crib Gogh, instead favouring an 18l day sack.

So yes, leaving the car at Idwal and then picking it up to drive to Pen Y Pass.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:49:17, 25/08/17 »
My plans for the bank holiday, weather permitting, is a complete traverse of the Rhinog ridge, but in an anti clockwise direction.

I cannot think of anything worse, than fighting my way past the crowds on top of Snowdon, when i have equally fine mountains at home.

I have yet to approach Diffwys from Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, so i will walk up towards Llety Lloeger and Pont Fadog, and walk along the Diffwys, llether, and Moelfre great wall of Wales ridge.

It will take me at least four to five hours, so i am looking forward to it, as long as the visibility is fine, if its not, i will choose another opening in the weather, as September can be a nice month.

The whole of this week, the mountains above Dyffryn have been shrouded in mist, so i have only been doing low level walking, but fingers crossed, tomorrow may prove a weather opening, and i can do my traverse.

Where is the joy in the absolute noise and mayhem, of Snowdon, when one can explore other equally fine locations in Snowdonia.

Parking will be at a premium anywhere near the central mountains, choose somewhere where one has never visited, and there are lots of them i bet.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:44:17, 25/08/17 »
 I have yet to approach Diffwys from Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, so i will walk up towards Llety Lloeger and Pont Fadog, and walk along the Diffwys, llether, and Moelfre great wall of Wales ridge.  

Knowing that you like ancient monuments can I suggest that along your route you look at the two huge long barrows known as Carneddau Hengwm. They're impressive. Unusual to find long barrows in Meironnydd

Easy way to find them is - as you walk from Pont Fadog towards Bwlch y Rhiwgyr you will come to a point where the track starts to rise to ByR. Look right and you will see a wicket gate some 200 yards away at a higher level. Go through the gate and then look carefully at the OS to locate them. Surprisingly despite their size they do not immediately stand out.

There is also the remains of a stone circle alongside the track halfway between PF and ByR (alongside a wire fence) but it is degraded and only the top of a couple of stones are visible.

« Last Edit: 15:48:41, 25/08/17 by Penygadair »

Jonmelson

« Reply #6 on: 16:58:24, 25/08/17 »
Sadly I live in Essex so am not fortunate enough to have beautiful and rugged mountains within 50 miles of me; you're a lucky man.
I agree the timing is poor but personal circumstances meant this weekend worked for me- actually nothing to do with the weekend.

There are many hills I'd like to explore but Crib Gogh and Tryfan have caught my attention for some time so are high on my list!
(And to be fair, I'm only another home counties tourist!!  ::)  )

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:04:58, 25/08/17 »
I hope you enjoy your weekend it will be busy but there'll be plenty of company for you  O0 O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:09:34, 25/08/17 »
Thank You Penygadair, ive been exploring the various paths in the Rhinogs for quite a while now, but until purchasing Tom Prevetts, "Roads and Trackways of North wales" i did not think about exploring the Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr side of the hills.
Last week i unwisely took my car way beyond Pont Fadog, and just managed to find a turn around spot, but it was touch and go.

The reason i did not want to walk this section, was because earlier, a large herd of cows with several small calves, became extremely agitated when i was walking down the hill  towards Llety lloeger, you could tell by their attitude, that had they been a lot closer to me, then I do not know what would have happened.

I ran back to my car further up the road, and drove drown towards Pont Fadog.

The weather looks decent tomorrow, and if the cloud has lifted, i will follow the famous wall from a totally different side of the mountains.

I found my recently purchased Explorer map, dead exciting, as it has pinpointed several ancient reamains, that are not visible on the ground.

I will certainly have a look out for those Long Barrows, and as you have said, its very rare for them to be in this part of Wales.

Bryn Celli Ddu and Barclodiad Y Gawres on Anglesey, are round barrows, which are quite a bit different.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but if the weather is not that decent, there's always another day, and i am extremely fortunate, with Pont Fadog being just over two miles up the road from me.

Its not often i get excited about a walk, but i am anticipating something special along this walk, especially when there are so many ancient monuments to explore.

Thanks again

Dyffryn

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:34:14, 25/08/17 »
You should make a trip to the Bronze Age cairn of Bryn Cader Faner that lies at SH647354 to the west of Moel Ysgyfarnogod in the north of the Rhinogs. It is so stunning I cried with joy when I reached it during a trek last year.
There's plenty of information about it to be found on the web, and Richard Sale describes a walk to it in the commonly available Collins Ramblers Guide: North Wales.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:48:03, 25/08/17 »
I think its easier to reach this ancient gem, from the Trawsfynnydd side, but annoyingly ive wasted an entire summer, by ignoring walks in the Rhinogs.
At times, the weather has been so warm in Dyffryn ( HONEST) , that walking the Rhinogs would have been unpleasant, but here comes  S  E  P  T  E  M  B  E   R,  a month usually blessed with some cracking early autumn sunshine.

Bryn Cader Faner will now be on my list, of must do walk.

Many thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Living smack bang under the Rhinogs, one becomes more selective with the weather.

The other day, it was blowing a gale, and i thought, hang on a minute, this feels more like autumn than the last throws of summer.

When its too hot , there's no where to shelter, and the midges i think live in the village near the caravan park.

This year, they were a damn nuisance, and became a problem at times.

Bryn Cader Faner is in one very remote spot, in the badlands of the Rhinogs, a walk to build up to, and visit when one is ready, and the weather is spot on.

It will certainly be on my list, and many thanks for the mention, i had forgotten about it, until you jogged my memory.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:04:54, 26/08/17 »
I think its easier to reach this ancient gem, from the Trawsfynnydd side, but annoyingly ive wasted an entire summer, by ignoring walks in the Rhinogs.

No, it's a booger from the Trawsfynydd side. Easy route: Drive to Llandecwyn and park alongside Llyn Tecwyn isaf. Continue walking along the road and turn left through the gates of Caerwych. Continue past riding stab;es, a massive waterwheel housing for the defunct copper mine until you reach the two historic houses at Nant Pasgarn Take the track leading uphill in a Souherly direction. This becomes a bit trackless but look for a large stone shaped like a sharks fin. Turn right on the track, ignore a track leading off to left. You are now on the Bronze Age track from Llandanwg to Maentwrog. Continue south and you will see Bryn Cader Faner on a hill to your left.
Return by taking the track opposite BCF in a West/NW direction. Go south of the small hill Y Gyrn and then turn north to reach the riding stables.
You can extend this by continuing along the bronze Age track to Llynau Eiddew (the Ivy lakes) where there are hut circle remains alhough I've never found them.

This is a cracking walk on a fine day - a lot of reward for moderate effort.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:41:25, 26/08/17 »
You should make a trip to the Bronze Age cairn of Bryn Cader Faner that lies at SH647354 to the west of Moel Ysgyfarnogod in the north of the Rhinogs. It is so stunning I cried with joy when I reached it during a trek last year.

I'm not surprised by your reaction. A lot of people react in different ways to it.
First time i went there I was feeling low, generally aches and pains etc. I touched the upright stones one by one and felt a tingling sensation. I came away feeling ten  years younger. It's all psychosomatic I guess, but I go back every couple of years for a recharge.
A sense of communing with something but what it is I don't know.
I took Mrs P there and without any bidding something told her to slip between two upright stones and sit in the centre. She told me that there was an amazing sense of peace and tranquility there.

It's a strange place altogether.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:57:11, 26/08/17 »
One heck of a jaunt this afternoon, walked from Dyffryn, and traversed the Rhinogs, but approaching from the Pont Fadog, and on to Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr.
Quite a bit of mist as well, but continuing alongside the famous wall, all the way to Diffwys.
I had intended doing Yr Llether as well, but for some reason took a wrong turn ascending the wall from Diffwy, over some impossibly difficult ground.

A walk that should have taken four to five hours, lasted over six, as i had to navigate through very tall grass, that was saturated with rain.

The various streams flowing down into the reservoir, made foot placement very difficult, and it took me well over an hour to traverse less than two miles.

Ive just discovered, that this is really a June, July walk, because even though the distance was not great, the terrain, was slow going.

Next time i attempt the walk, i am taking my GoPro, because some of the photograph opportunities were magnificent.

Today was just a discovery walk, to see what was going on, the next time i will do it from the opposite direction.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:00:50, 27/08/17 »
I thought you were being over optimistic in your initial time estimate.

I had the binos on Diffwys and the Llawllech ridge yesterday to see if a head was bobbing along on the other side of the wall. Missed you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy