Author Topic: Snowdonia Way  (Read 1123 times)

Kukkudrill

Snowdonia Way
« on: 21:53:10, 05/06/18 »
I'm thinking about what LDW to do next year and the Snowdonia Way looks interesting. Has anybody walked it? Would you recommend it? If I've understood right it's not waymarked, so I'm wondering how easy it is to follow. If I decided to do it I'd probably use the Cicerone Press guidebook, which has OS map extracts as an insert.
Make the most of the available light

PeteL

Re: Snowdonia Way
« Reply #1 on: 12:59:17, 09/06/18 »
I just got back last weekend from doing the Snowdonia Way. There is a choice of high or low routes, and I stuck to the high route throughout. It is not waymarked, and the instructions in the book were *mostly* enough to get me round on clear days, but I did need some map and compass navigation on days with poorer visibility. In addition to the book maps I also took the three OS Explorer (1:25k) maps, because I find them easier to navigate from, and I marked the route out with highlighter in advance.

I really enjoyed the high route. It takes in some superb summits - Cadair Idris, Moelwyns, Snowdon (groan), Glyders, Carnedds , and lots of great scenery. Worth noting that the high route doesn't always follow well trodden paths, sometimes they are faint to non-existent, or in a couple of places just cross country with no path at all, and these bits can be hard work and slow you down quite a bit. Overall I would definitely recommend it though, it is fairly new but I think it will be quite popular once people get wind of it.

Just writing up a trip report, and I'll post some pics and a link once I'm done!
« Last Edit: 14:42:10, 09/06/18 by PeteL »

Kukkudrill

« Reply #2 on: 17:56:08, 09/06/18 »
Thanks for the reply PeteL. I'm curious as to why you felt the need to take the OS maps. Doesn't the guidebook include extracts from the relevant maps? In any case I'll look forward to your trip report.

PeteL

« Reply #3 on: 11:10:07, 10/06/18 »
OK, report posted (in separate topic). I can't include links unfortunately, but the full report on my website should be google'able by looking for "Pete's trip reports"

The maps in the guidebook are 1:50k, which I find fine for well trodden and waymarked paths, but for more remote stuff, or where you are not on a path at all, I like the extra details that are included on the 1:25k maps - things like field boundaries and drystone walls, which can be really helpful to work out where I am in the middle of nowhere in bad visibility!

Kukkudrill

« Reply #4 on: 14:10:00, 10/06/18 »
Oh I see. I thought the guidebook has 1:25K mapping.

PeteL

« Reply #5 on: 17:21:50, 10/06/18 »
Yeah, 1:25k would have been nice. Looking through other Cicerone guides (SW Coast Path, Thames Path, Glyndwrs, etc) they all seem to use 1:50k, so I guess that is their standard format.

On the plus side, my explorer maps for Snowdonia were already cut into pieces to save weight when I originally used them for the Cambrian Way, so it wasn't much extra to carry, about 130g in all....

PS. Thanks for posting the link!

Kukkudrill

« Reply #6 on: 20:21:12, 10/06/18 »
Welcome  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy