Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573072 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3165 on: 07:54:57, 05/10/20 »
We missed the gales in the Lakes, and it was the other way around - Saturday wall to wall rain, and it was really quite nice on Sunday - but we went on a family trip underground! White Scar Caves below Ingleborough are impressive, though.

A couple of shots from White Scar Caves - poor quality as my phone camera is just not up to it in low light conditions (most were junk). Good to get back underground, but not the real thing as far as an ex caver is concerned. The show cave penetrates 1/2 a mile underground.

Far better were the views outside. We returned via lovely Dent Dale, a hidden gem of a dale, and had a quick walk around Dent and along the nearby river bank, before battling with the A590 roadworks on our way home.

Dent Head Viaduct

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3166 on: 12:10:11, 05/10/20 »
Oh the dales on a pleasant Autumn day.  nice photos Richard.  O0

It was some what Darker down here on Sunday.  I dared to get my phone out briefly and grab this quick snap shot of Red a Ven Brook.  Those who know the area may recall it as a beautiful tranquil trickle, bumbling gently down from Yes tor.  I have seen it in full spate a few times.  Yesterday was possibly the best.  O0   It was a fun puzzle finding a place to cross it higher up the valley. This is one dynamic and dramatic reason I love to walk on such wet days.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3167 on: 12:58:53, 05/10/20 »
Thanks BuzyG

Nothing quite like a river in spate, is there?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3168 on: 17:52:10, 10/10/20 »
We are having a few days in the Malvern Hills. Will be back home on Monday just in time for Boris to lock us down again! We have an apartment in a pub above Great Malvern (Wyche Inn), great views, and it’s only 20 minutes walk to Worcestershire Beacon the highest point, hence why we have walked up to it twice. As we approached it yesterday we hit the clag and no signs of it improving, so we gave up and tried again today, walking onwards to the northern tip. Windy but dry.  Rain forecast this afternoon so we did a walking trail around Great Malvern. Tomorrow should be decent, so we’re doing the southern bit towards and past British Camp.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3169 on: 17:50:28, 11/10/20 »
I recall a day out on the Malverns in (ahem) 1984. I think it was my birthday, and I caught a train to Great Malvern from Birmingham with a few friends, all of us hung over, so we accosted a milkman for sustenance before climbing steeply up onto North Hill, ignoring the danger signs around the disused quarry. A great promenade down the length of the range, which included a diversion of a mile or two for a lunch time pint at Marl Bank, followed by a rush to catch a train back to Birmingham from Ledbury. More beer and a curry followed. A memorable day.
« Last Edit: 17:53:40, 11/10/20 by richardh1905 »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3170 on: 19:47:23, 11/10/20 »
A good weekends walking.  A short walk on Bodmin more with MrsG on Friday afternoon.  Then another longer walk on Bodmin moor yesterday and today I met up with the Moorland group and we enjoyed 15 miles in the pleasant autumn sun out on Dartmoor around the West Dart area. Earned my super. :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3171 on: 21:39:15, 11/10/20 »
I went a walk in the Sussex Weald today, from Five Ash Down to Uckfield, taking in Buxted Park with its pretty lake, some lovely woodlands, and a beautiful wooded stream.  There was some Himalayan balsam around but although it's an invasive species I can't help liking its pretty flowers and heady fragrance.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3172 on: 07:38:16, 12/10/20 »
A climb up Wetherlam from Tilberthwaite - with my family this time. Gorgeous weather, superb visibility - and no thunderstorms!

Tess on Wetherlam, with the Scafell range and Bowfell in the background

Wetherlam panorama (click to enlarge and then use the scroll bar to pan across)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3173 on: 07:49:08, 12/10/20 »

O0 Does Tess have a thing about climbing on cairns or do you get her to pose?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3174 on: 07:55:42, 12/10/20 »
O0 Does Tess have a thing about climbing on cairns or do you get her to pose?

She responds well to the command 'UP'  :)

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #3175 on: 08:01:56, 12/10/20 »
After a week in Keswick, 3rd-10th it was back to Rivington and Smithills yesterday but at least we had a lot of it to ourselves as the new walkers were up at the Pike and leaving their litter around there🤬

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3176 on: 13:54:49, 18/10/20 »
I walked just over 4 miles on a lovely autumn day. Blue sky and sun to start, mackerel cloud appearing, followed by darker cumulus hinting at showers later. The colour at this time of year are well worth getting out for . The deciduous trees carry various shades of yellow, orange red and brown in contrast to the dark greens of the conifers. Dark green moss and grey- green lichen cling to the silver birches. Fly agaric toadstools, honeysuckle, hawthorn and rowan bring splashes of red. By the river I spotted a grey heron on the opposite bank. A bird of prey (probably a sparrowhawk) landed on a dead tree. A female goosander took to the air from the middle of the river, triggering the heron to take to the wing. In the distance were the peaks of Bennachie (Mither Tap, Oxen Craig, Watch Craig and Hermit Seat) silhouetted against the northern sky, with flat topped Millstone Hill nearby. I am glad I made the effort to go out today.
« Last Edit: 19:45:35, 18/10/20 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Lee R

« Reply #3177 on: 15:34:47, 18/10/20 »
We were planning on the Quantocks for the day Saturday but my left foot started hurting Friday night!

As it was managed a couple of local woodlands for two dull weekend sunrises....

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3178 on: 19:09:36, 18/10/20 »
Treyarnon bay to Newquay for me this afternoon in the most glorious sunshine.  12 miles in 3 hours dead.
Poor dog hasnt got off his bed since, needs to up his game  O0
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3179 on: 19:52:47, 18/10/20 »
I walked over the South Downs today from Friston Church to the outskirts of Eastbourne via some of the Seven Sisters and East Dean.  Not a long walk, only just over six miles, but it packed in a lot  -  dazzling sheer white cliffs, spacious rolling green downland grazed by sheep, a picturesque village, and a lovely hidden valley.  Rather overcast at first but brightened up.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy