Author Topic: TR Chew Reservoir walk Wed 20 May 20  (Read 3906 times)

April

• Veteran Member
TR Chew Reservoir walk Wed 20 May 20
« on: 15:36:52, 24/05/20 »
Another walk with beefy and Squeaky this time starting from the Dovestones Car Park. It was sunny and quite hot.

These rocks are locally known as Indian's Head because it looks like a face with a native American headdress

On the way up Chew Road

The walk up was spoiled by this couple with loud voices, gabbing constantly. We stopped a few times to let them get ahead only to catch them up again because they kept stopping. We started walking faster to get out of earshot of them. We should have done this straight away in hindsight.

Looking back down Chew Road

We were getting very hot with walking up here fast and we were grateful for the wind that was cooling us down a little.

Chew Reservoir

Ashway Stone footpath sign

We walked through very dry moorland for a while. We both commented we wouldn't want to navigate in mist up here because it was featureless to start.

Charnel Clough

Dovestone reservoir now in view

The lovely path along the edge of Dove Stone Moss

The Dove Stone

This is near Charnel Holes and I took the shot not realising it was the Dove Stone. I thought it would have been near Great Dove Stone Rocks which is further along the edge. When I was back at home I googled The Dove Stone and this was it.

Fantastic rock formations

Terrain like this reminds me of Northumberland for instance the Simonside Hills.

Rocks above Chew Hills

Lunch time rocks

We sat here for some lunch, not always out of the wind. In hindsight we should have sat in the shade because there was no let up from the sun.

More rocks along the edge

Cairn on Fox Stone

We'd passed Bramley's Cot, a ruined hut of some sort. I took a photo but it wasn't very good. I was looking all over for the Dove Stone not realising I'd already seen it.

Yeoman Hey Reservoir

More rock formations

I think these are Dean Rocks.

We crossed a stream and the path became a bit of a scramble up the other side. A bit of moorland walking followed and we realised the path was descending. We climbed away from this path to another one higher up that passed the Ashway Stone.

Ashway Stone

Memorial Cross

A local MP James Platt had been shot and killed here in a grouse shooting accident in 1857.

We descended after the cross and veered right to Raven Stones. The path became narrow and got very close to the edge of a big drop so I called it the "Path of Death". I wasn't enjoying this bit so after about 10 minutes we retraced our steps and descended to Dovestone Reservoir on the path to the left of Ashway Rocks. Beefy had planned for us to descend to Greenfield Reservoir but in the end we were both glad we'd turned back because the walk was a bit shorter.

Dovestone reservoir

Walking along the reservoir path

We were grateful for the shade here. It was really busy at the reservoir, people all over, some of them must not have heard of Covid and the need to keep 2m away from other people.

Last shot at Dovestone reservoir

We sat in the shade under the trees in the Memorial Garden to have a brew and some food. We were feeling a bit baked by the sun and we'd forgotten to bring sunscreen. We had a grand day out, what a lovely walk. The route was Dovestone Reservoir Car Park - Chew Road - Chew Reservoir - Charnel Clough - Bramley's Cot - Cairn on Fox Stone - Ashway Stone - Little Flat - Raven Stones - Little Flat - Dovestone Reservoir - car park. 8.25 miles and 320m ascent.

I found this wonderful website created by Geoff, a Peak District Ranger (sadly no longer with us).

https://www.doveheritage.com/walking/

I really enjoyed reading all about the history of the area and there are ideas for other walks on there too  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Chew Reservoir walk Wed 20 May 20
« Reply #1 on: 15:44:36, 24/05/20 »
April, go now and put some sunscreen in your rucksack.
Have you done it?

Have you really or are you just saying that?

Right. Lovely pics, looks like you had a good time.
I've not heard of the rock formation called lunchtime rocks before.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:48:12, 24/05/20 »
 ;D

Sunscreen in rucksack already  :)

I've not heard of the rock formation called lunchtime rocks before.

:) They more than likely have a proper name already
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:43:38, 24/05/20 »
Lovely clear photos, April. I do like the interesting rock formations that you get in Gritstone Country, although I couldn't see the Indian in the first shot.

An you are right about the navigating - my first time up Kinder Scout was by compass in the mist - blundering through a succession of peat gullies that never seemed to end is my strongest memory.

Groughs is the word that I was looking for. Peat groughs. A 3D maze.
« Last Edit: 21:12:01, 24/05/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:46:58, 24/05/20 »
Great pics Ape O0
Was a great walk when it's done in the dry ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:54:03, 24/05/20 »
Superb gritstone walk with clear pics and views. O0

We both commented we wouldn't want to navigate in mist up here because it was featureless to start.
Yep, the Dark Peak was where we learned navigation by compass, in our experience second only to parts of the North Pennines as a featureless bewildering plateau.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:47:17, 24/05/20 »
I couldn't see the Indian in the first shot.

:) I didn't at first  :)

Was a great walk when it's done in the dry ;D
;) ;)
It is so dry at the minute, no bogs. Even the Pewits would be easy  ;)

Yep, the Dark Peak was where we learned navigation by compass, in our experience second only to parts of the North Pennines as a featureless bewildering plateau.

I remember being on a school trip as 12 year old. Me and a school friend were given a map and compass, dropped off in the North Pennines somewhere near Allenheads and told to make our way back. We got lost, fell in a bog and it was a wonderful experience for me. I wanted more of the same, my friend however has never gone walking again  :) This was 40+ years ago, do children get the chance to do this outside the DofE stuff these days?
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:29:08, 24/05/20 »
Groughs is the word that I was looking for. Peat groughs. A 3D maze.
Having learnt any map and compass ability I have on Kinder if I am ever navigationaly challenged I always think it could be worse, I could be there.

This was 40+ years ago, do children get the chance to do this outside the DofE stuff these days?
Scouts is the place that my kids did this sort of stuff and it is generally less structured than DofE but it depends a lot on who the leaders are.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:44:43, 25/05/20 »
 O0 O0 O0  You put my TR's to shame, it just takes me so long to upload pics. Been thinking of going there myself, really is a fab place. Great website you found.  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:46:36, 25/05/20 »
Nice pics of an area I have never walked - and can you remind me to put some sunscreen in my rucksack too Ridge?

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:13:01, 26/05/20 »
Lovely pics April. O0
 although that rock formation looks more like a spikey dinosaur  than an Indian Head.  ;)

Got a bit worried by the pic with Beefy and the sign, that could have been taken on the moors near me  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:45:38, 26/05/20 »
Scouts is the place that my kids did this sort of stuff and it is generally less structured than DofE but it depends a lot on who the leaders are.

Oh yes of course. I was a girl guide for a while.

Been thinking of going there myself, really is a fab place. Great website you found.  :)

It is a really lovely area and the website is a wonderful legacy to its creator Geoff Frost  O0

I always enjoy your TR's pleb  O0

Thanks pdstsp  O0

although that rock formation looks more like a spikey dinosaur  than an Indian Head.  ;)

:) It took me a while but I did see it eventually  :)

Got a bit worried by the pic with Beefy and the sign, that could have been taken on the moors near me  ;D

;D Is there and Ashway Stone near you?
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:35:56, 26/05/20 »
I was wondering where your trip report was after I saw Beefy's vid.  And now I've found it.

Smashing pics.  Looks like a walk I'd quite like to do, though I'd spend far too long trying to see the Native American face/head dress.  Can't beat the Peaks for weird rocky outcrops  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:47:08, 26/05/20 »
Smashing pics.  Looks like a walk I'd quite like to do, though I'd spend far too long trying to see the Native American face/head dress.  Can't beat the Peaks for weird rocky outcrops  :)

It is a wonderful area but very busy, especially around the reservoirs  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:23:47, 26/05/20 »
It is a wonderful area but very busy, especially around the reservoirs  :)
Sure was today! My pics can wait till tomorrow....did a helluva scramble. Nearly too old  :o
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy