Author Topic: New mid range sleeping bags?  (Read 2316 times)

SeanForde

New mid range sleeping bags?
« on: 22:44:54, 09/02/21 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so hello!

I'm after a new sleeping bag and want to balance size with quality, has anyone any suggestions, would be used for the spring/summer months.

thanks

Peak

Re: New mid range sleeping bags?
« Reply #1 on: 03:37:56, 10/02/21 »
The Berghaus Transition range are worth looking at IMHO

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:24:28, 10/02/21 »
Welcome to the forum.

Are you intending to go backpacking with the sleeping bag?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

SeanForde

« Reply #3 on: 08:31:42, 10/02/21 »
Thanks the berghaus look reasonably priced.

And yes that's the intention.

watershed

« Reply #4 on: 08:35:56, 10/02/21 »
welcome to the Forum.
So many choices  :)

sounds like you don't need a winter bag.
here are useful links to get a feel for what is out there.

Expert Advice on Choosing the Right Backpacking Sleeping Bag | OutdoorGearLab

10 Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags of 2021 — CleverHiker

Sleeping Bag | Down, Synthetic, Quilts, Mummy, Ratings | The Hiking Life

Most hikers still go for the mummy style,
but they can feel a little constricted in the feet area, reading these reports will hopefully help. O0

Peak

« Reply #5 on: 08:53:32, 10/02/21 »
SeanForde,
Sorry I meant the Berghaus Intrepid 1000 bag, just seen one advertised on EBay at £45.65, that's a bargain. I only paid £50 for mine from Blacks 2 years ago, so shop around.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:41:41, 10/02/21 »
- Be conservative with your temperature ratings.  A -3C bag rarely feels comfortable and warm at -3C ..
- Down vs Synthetic.  Down is a lot more expensive and will last you a lot longer but obviously up front cost is the downside.
- Weight and packability.  Weight isn't too much of an issue for me (you want to be warm after all), but packability may mean a large synthetic winter sleeping bag will force you to bring a larger rucksack.  If you're making a big purchase it could be worth bringing your camping gear packed in a rucksack to a shop and see if it'll all fit together.

As for brands, PHD and Cumulus have both been good in my experience for down, however I'd probably class myself as a 'heavy user' so £250 quid per sleeping bag is less of a bother.  Snugpak do cheaper synthetic options (with a great warm hood for the winter bags).

For UK conditions I'd tend to say -2 to 5C counts as 3-season, -10C counts as a winter bag, if you find yourself camping at campsites then you might want a cheaper bag as you'll (usually) be more protected from the colder weather.

wbmkk

« Reply #7 on: 14:10:16, 10/02/21 »
Snugpak make some great bags

Their Travelpack range is often reviewed online with good results, as is their Elite range

Alpkit down bags are great too .. just a fair bit more expensive

Peak

« Reply #8 on: 14:32:39, 10/02/21 »
Another suggestion is Mountain Hardwware, I have the Lamina 20 down bag and it's great. Their synthetic bags are also good according to reviews that I've seen.

SeanForde

« Reply #9 on: 15:22:47, 10/02/21 »
Thanks guys this is all really useful for my novice brain!  :)

wbmkk

« Reply #10 on: 17:47:56, 10/02/21 »
Thanks guys this is all really useful for my novice brain!

Do let us know which one you eventually pick

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:23:20, 10/02/21 »
Quick link for you if you're interested in a down bag and not synthetic.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15895337/rab-ascent-500-15895337

1C comfort bag for £152.  Which for a 3-season down bag made by a reputable company like Rab is excellent value, since you'll likely get the best part of a decade of regular use out of a down bag.  Might be a little warm for your 'spring and summer' intention but if you want to do more spring/autumn camping it might fit the bill. 

Also https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903110/oex-helios-ev-hydrodown-300-sleeping-bag-15903110

Supposedly 3C comfort rating down bag for £90 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:43:04, 11/02/21 »
Another suggestion is Mountain Hardwware, I have the Lamina 20 down bag and it's great. Their synthetic bags are also good according to reviews that I've seen.

I have a couple of Mountain Hardwear synthetic sleeping bags and are excellent for quality and durability. I'm a few years in with the first one I bought, still like new. I never use down as IMO it can never be ethical to use it. Synthetic materials these days are not as bulky or as heavy as they use to be and are closer to the weight and bulk of down. Synthetic material is less expensive and it doesn't matter if it gets wet.

Mountain Hardwear Synthetic Sleeping Bags | Buy online | Alpinetrek.co.uk
Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:57:47, 11/02/21 »
Poor reviews ... 1 and 2 stars only

To be fair it's 90 quid so I wasn't expecting a PHD quality bag, but for someone looking for a somewhat lighter option perhaps it's worth a punt.   I'd have considered the Rab one if I was in need of a new down bag though.  Remember you have no questions asks returns as an option for online ordering so if it's below standard, just send it back.

As to the ethics to be honest I don't much think about it when it comes to down clothing but try to buy ethically sourced down.  Not sure about the whole broader question of whether there are zero ways to source down without harming the animal, but then again I suppose I do eat bacon so my general attitude is provided they don't suffer that's broadly okay.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy