Author Topic: Birkhouse Moor - Question  (Read 3071 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Birkhouse Moor - Question
« on: 14:49:16, 19/05/08 »
Has anyone walked up the eastern end of Birkhouse Moor as opposed to the 'normal' route skirting round to the south and then heading up. AW describes it as a scramble not for those with aged, aching limbs, or something like that I don't have my copy with me.

My son aged 10 wants to do this route, he's game for most things, but I wondered what anyone who had done it thought.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: Birkhouse Moor - Question
« Reply #1 on: 14:53:26, 19/05/08 »
Do you mean up by Lanty's Tarn? thats not too bad. Not what I'd call a scramble. Steeper than the route that climbs from Grisedale tho...

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:12:05, 19/05/08 »
I knew as I was typing that I was not describing it well, it is further north than Lantys.

On this map www.walkthefells.net/PLACE_PAGES/LANTYS_TARN/MAP.JPEG it would run up very slightly north of the G of Gillside and then you drop down SW to the summit once you are on the top.

From memory it looks fairly impassible from Glenridding but I've never looked for the route.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:18:09, 19/05/08 »
Right, know where you mean now!

Never done it, but remember looking at it from the path on the way down and thinking it might make a good scramble.

Not much help really am I!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:36:28, 19/05/08 »
I was just concerned that what is a 'scramble' is such a subjective thing ranging from 'pulling your self up with your hands a bit' to 'we should be roped on really'.

A good scramble from a man who leads groups of Scandinavian young ladies up the mountain path may be too much for Rigde-son and I.

pete

« Reply #5 on: 22:15:56, 19/05/08 »
A few years ago, when our daughter was younger,we often rented a cottage that looked out onto this bit of fell side.Our route up to Lanty's was via Mires Beck and we often wandered away from the path and onto Birkhouse,our daughter was about 8yrs old at the time and had no problem at all it was just a bit rocky,I think AW overstated it in this case.
It must be tea time by now

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:18:38, 20/05/08 »
I'd place this one more in the category of "let's make this uphill section fun and exciting" than "let's practice short-roping for the Alps". Any tricky sections obvious and easily escapable. A minor ridge for a Minor Ridge, I'd say. Remember that AW was hampered on steeper rockier ground by the need to keep one hand free for his pipe and the other to clutch the sketch book :)

When I lived in the Lakes the Helvelyn edges were a regular short day out that I could fit in before starting work at 2, provided I didn't have a leisurely breakfast. Was always looking for variation starts/ finishes. Can't think why I never actually got round to this one. Do let us know the outcome!

Ian

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:26:55, 20/05/08 »
Thanks for the replies.

I've got AW with me today (well the book anyway) and it is the North east ridge, which is on Birkhouse Moor page 6.

Fatal having the books at work I'm supposed to be busy today.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:15:12, 20/05/08 »
If its the route from Gillside campsite , up mires beck onto lttle cove and onwards to birkhouse moor..,? i did it in 2007 as my 1st ever route upto Helvellyn and Striding Edge and thought it was hard going{for me} but the views were outstanding.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:27:27, 20/05/08 »
darksky

I'm shocked that you don't know it.

I thought that you carried the Eastern Fells, or at least a map of Helvellyn, with you at all times and slept with it under your pillow at night :)

kirbstones

« Reply #10 on: 11:54:51, 21/05/08 »
I took this pic on the way up to Lanty's Tarn.  Think it's shows the route you're describing.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:22:21, 21/05/08 »
Thats the one, up the right hand ridge on the photo.

Nice picture, if it's as good a day as that we may try it, it will always be there another day if we change our minds and go up Mires Brook instead.

pete

« Reply #12 on: 16:40:32, 23/05/08 »
Looking at the photo it is the route I was thinking about,you should have no trouble on it providing the weather is dry.Let's know how you get on and maybe some pics to make us jealous.
It must be tea time by now

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:50:26, 01/06/08 »
Well we made it in not the best weather.

The only problem my son had was his Dad saying 'don't climb up that' 'are you all right' and occasionally 'wait for me!'

I will put up a report when I get chance
« Last Edit: 22:03:48, 01/06/08 by Ridge »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:29:57, 03/06/08 »
and here is the NE ridge up Birkhouse Moor, taken from the bottom of Glenrigging Dodd, though it looks/feels steeper in real life.

Edited to restore picture after it disappeared
« Last Edit: 17:08:23, 12/06/08 by Ridge »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy