Author Topic: Anyone still on Windows XP?  (Read 2995 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone still on Windows XP?
« Reply #15 on: 10:59:43, 21/05/19 »

Not come across Apache.

I use WPS Writer for Word documents, and WPS Spreadsheets for Excel - seems to work just fine. And it too is free  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:07:07, 21/05/19 »
I use Open Office, free, never had a problem. There seem to be so many free systems out there, why do people pay?

and101

« Reply #17 on: 12:01:20, 21/05/19 »
I use Open Office, free, never had a problem. There seem to be so many free systems out there, why do people pay?

LibreOffice is another good free alternative.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:28:10, 21/05/19 »
Converting to windows stuff? Like uploading your cv to indeed site, seem to want it in windows office stuff only.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

and101

« Reply #19 on: 14:36:19, 21/05/19 »
Converting to windows stuff? Like uploading your cv to indeed site, seem to want it in windows office stuff only.

By Office stuff I'm presuming you mean as .doc or .docx file which is the standard MS Office uses? If so both Apache (Openoffice) and LibreOffice can export files in MS Office compatible files.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:19:43, 21/05/19 »
Talking of file exchange - I wonder if the day will ever come when GoogleEarth will allow the export of files in ,gpx rather than .kml to save the trouble of converting them.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:35:22, 21/05/19 »
I use Apache not had any problems with it and it's free. It reads and converts access documents.
If only life working for a multinational was that simple Owen. We have thus far spent three years and approaching 6 figures, just trying to replace two of my Access databases.  You write these things as a young engineer and sometimes the half decent ones spiral away from the control of the corporate IS dept.

Then some one mentions in a meeting you might retire one day and the balloon goes up.

Still it keeps me in donuts.  ;)

felix_rufus

« Reply #22 on: 16:35:22, 11/06/19 »
I went to dual booting XP with Linux Ubuntu and then after a hard drive failure, I went with Ubuntu only.  Later on I ditched Ubuntu for Mint Cinnamon and haven't looked back.  A major but less reported advantage that Linux has over Windows is that I don't need to keep updating my hardware to run the operating system smoothly (though I did recently benefit by installing more memory over the 4Gb that I originally installed in 2012).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy