Author Topic: I don't understand.............???  (Read 1098 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I don't understand.............???
« on: 12:24:38, 03/05/20 »
I've often noticed that some manufacturers sew or fix items to some of their products and I've looked at what they have done and thought to myself "what's that for???" I've asked the same question to myself a few times before, especially when I've bought a new rucksack, a little tag here, a small loop there, whats does it all mean and what's it for?

I decided to wear one of my Columbia hiking shirts today, I only bought them recently, and as I am out for a short while this afternoon I thought, why not wear one. As I put it on, I noticed that at the inside hem end of the button line, a vertical 2" x 1" strip of soft furry material has been sewn there and at the top of this 2" x 1," is a 1" x 1" piece of black flexible plastic with a white drawing of a mobile phone and a pair of sunglasses etched onto it. My question is why are they there and why is the material furry, what's the message that the manufacturer is trying to convey?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: I don't understand.............???
« Reply #1 on: 12:53:07, 03/05/20 »
« Last Edit: 13:01:39, 03/05/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:02:46, 03/05/20 »
Spot on! My wife and I have looked at it again and agree with you. If it was designed as a selling point I haven't seen it displayed anywhere, I think I'll look again at the original advert.

Pitboot

« Reply #3 on: 20:11:27, 03/05/20 »
It's micro fibre , intended to clean your phone screen and sun geps. Craghoppers have them in some of their trousers. I would not use them on your prescription lenses though, just a tiny bit of grit on the cloth will scratch your lens. The Craghoppers ones are easily detachable for cleaning.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:13:52, 03/05/20 »
The black plastic with the mobile phone on it may be somewhere to thread the earphone wire though.  I had one on a  jacket I bought.
It was useless.  Kept snagging an pulling the plug out my lughole.
« Last Edit: 21:32:03, 04/05/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:33:47, 04/05/20 »
Yeah, it would be handy if the manufacturers included details of what all those little accesory things are actually for.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:31:36, 04/05/20 »
One of the things I still haven't figured out are zips on the legs of my favourite walking trousers: Montane Terra Stretch. It would make sense on rain trousers, so you can put them on and off before/ after a rainshower without taking your boots off. But what is the intended purpose for regular walking trousers? Who puts their boots on before their trousers?

Only thing I could think of is when crossing a river while keeping your boots on. In fact, I use these zips myself so I can roll-up the legs when crossing high water. But I'm not sure if this is the intended purpose.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:05:05, 04/05/20 »
One of the things I still haven't figured out are zips on the legs of my favourite walking trousers: Montane Terra Stretch. It would make sense on rain trousers, so you can put them on and off before/ after a rainshower without taking your boots off. But what is the intended purpose for regular walking trousers? Who puts their boots on before their trousers?

Only thing I could think of is when crossing a river while keeping your boots on. In fact, I use these zips myself so I can roll-up the legs when crossing high water. But I'm not sure if this is the intended purpose.
  To zip down over gaiters?  Seems odd though.  To accommodate people with big feet?
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:36:15, 04/05/20 »
Montane apparently say it's for  -
LOWER LEG ZIPS

¼ length side zips for access, ventilation and the ability to pull over trail footwear.

I personally use them after my walks, I find it easier to unzip them and then fold them back up over my calf muscles to make them an almost three quarters style trouser,  which then gives me unhindered access to my boot laces and socks which I generally change before driving back home.
« Last Edit: 20:42:58, 04/05/20 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:31:12, 05/05/20 »
It can help get them on even in socks. Just allows the foot through the narrow bit at the bottom.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy