Author Topic: Which powerbank for phone?  (Read 2141 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Which powerbank for phone?
« on: 11:07:29, 19/08/19 »
I'm toying with the idea of buying a powerbank to recharge my phone when I'm on a multiple-day walk. Until now I've shut as many things down as possible to conserve the battery, but it would be nice to be able to relax and not have to be so neurotic about it.

This topic has been discussed on here before - a couple of years ago? - when Anker ones were widely recommended, but a quick look on Amazon just now revealed there are a number of different makes available,

So what should I go for, just to give my phone at least one full charge? The phone has a micro usb charging socket.
(What happens with one of these devices if the phone has, say, 30% charge left, is only part of what is in the powerbank used, leaving a bit more for later use?)

My top criteria is the lightest possible weight, that is a must, and the second is a low price, sub-£25 but the lower the better.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Which powerbank for phone?
« Reply #1 on: 12:03:52, 19/08/19 »

Power banks / portable chargers are widely available nowadays.  Get yourself down to your local supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, etc.) and have a look at their selection.  Be wary of buying chargers off the internet as cheap imports/copies are more likely to overheat and catch fire.  As far as rechargeable batteries of any sort (but particularly power banks and ecig batteries) are concerned cheap usually means foreign import/copy which doesn't conform to UK British Standards.

Anyway, safety lecture over.... To give you a rough idea, my charger is about the size of a packet of 10 fags, weighs 130g and charges my phone 2 and a bit times from the phone's "low battery" alert.  The charger's "capacity" is 5200 mAh - the bigger the number the more charges you'll be able to do before needing to recharge the charger.  I paid £15 for mine 5 years ago from Asda so there will be more efficient, smaller, lighter, cheaper ones on the market nowadays.  USB/micro USB connections are also commonplace.

Oh, my charger is made by Kodak.

Some food for thought for you anyway  :)

« Last Edit: 12:19:28, 19/08/19 by Mel »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:10:28, 19/08/19 »
Oh, and ....

...What happens with one of these devices if the phone has, say, 30% charge left, is only part of what is in the powerbank used, leaving a bit more for later use? ..

I don't properly understand what you mean there but if the charger's legit, it will switch itself off when the phone is fully charged, likewise, when the charger's "empty" it will simply stop charging.  Either phone or charger being partially full doesn't make any difference.  Both can be used/charged until dead and you can use your phone whilst it is charging.  When my charger has one of it's 4 "bars" of charge left (so I assume 25%) I can still charge my phone a bit (mebby get an extra 10% charge on my phone).

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:17:42, 19/08/19 »
The only two I've got direct experience of are the Kit 2000 mah and the Anker Powercore 13000.

The Kit is considerably lighter, but I'd only rely on it to give a short term boost to phone...where the Anker Powercore I'd expect from experience to completely recharge phone 2 orr 3 times.

It (the Anker model) is a fair bit heavier than the Kit model...but it's one I always take out with me on winter walks. when cold weather will drain phone quickly.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:29:20, 19/08/19 »
Thank you, Mel. I certainly hope there are ones lighter than 130g (4.5oz) nowadays.
I quite like the idea of looking in Tesco. If they have somethething suitable I can slip it in with the weekly shop and the OH won't notice when she pays  :)

Regarding if any charge is left in the bank afterwards, I partially worked out the answer myself and you've finished it off for me. If there are powerbanks capable of giving two charges, then it stands to reason that there is going to be some left in it after one use.

And thank you Paul for your input, I'll scrutinise the specs for the Kit 2000 which you say is considerably lighter, to see if it meets my requirements.

Dread

« Reply #5 on: 12:54:10, 19/08/19 »
The supermarkets sell lipstick sized powerbanks that will do a single charge. Very cheap and lightweight.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:56:37, 19/08/19 »
I see what you mean about the Kit 2000 only giving a short term boost, Paul, it's something some Amazon reviewers aren't happy with.

I've gone off Kit anyway, they have a number of different models - some of which are marked as unavailable - but their specifications don't give weights.
« Last Edit: 13:00:12, 19/08/19 by fernman »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:59:02, 19/08/19 »
The supermarkets sell lipstick sized powerbanks that will do a single charge. Very cheap and lightweight.

I like the sound of that, thanks, although I'm wondering what Tesco security staff will make of me lurking by the electronics shelves and getting my drug dealer scales out.

andyapanel

« Reply #8 on: 13:32:08, 19/08/19 »
I can recommend RAVPOWER; I think I have the 22500 mAh, which lasts me for at least a week.It weighs about 450g

However, for longer trips, I have switched to Solar; I use this set up:https://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/shop/details/2-weekend-camping

It weighs about the same, but you gain independence. I have used it on a 10 day trip in France in April and then Offa's Dyke LDP in April/May and never ran out of electricity.  

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:12:00, 19/08/19 »
I use an IP68 waterproof one on the basis that I can recharge in the rain and if I dunk my rucksack no biggie. It cost £50 and is relatively heavy though. Got it from the same website andyapanel just mentioned. Used to carry a normal one in a ziplock bag but got paranoid about it's lack of waterproofing.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:34:08, 19/08/19 »
I certainly hope there are ones lighter than 130g (4.5oz) nowadays.

Ever the optimist  :)
Power storage just is heavy, I'm surprised to see an apparently decent power bank as low as 130g. I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:45:25, 19/08/19 »
Ever the optimist  :)
Power storage just is heavy, I'm surprised to see an apparently decent power bank as low as 130g. I'll be interested to see what you decide on.
  I was issued with one of the first portable phones.  Portable in the military sense (it had a handle).  I'll swear the power supply to that was a lead/acid accumulator.  130g - hah!
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #12 on: 15:53:34, 19/08/19 »
I did a bit of research on powerbanks last year and ended up buying a 10000 mA Anker. It weighs 180g and has not let me down. £12 from Amazon on a lightning deal. That does 3 charges. Very roughly each charge weighs 60g.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:25:26, 19/08/19 »
So one charge is  roughly 6.587e+28 electrons?  Bargain!  (if my sums are right and assuming no relativistic correction)  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #14 on: 16:44:15, 19/08/19 »
Yes, but Tesco don't accept electrons.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy