Author Topic: which shoes do you prefer  (Read 2302 times)

gazthedart

which shoes do you prefer
« on: 00:20:49, 19/05/20 »
care to share which shoes you like for walks, funny enough i keep saying walk but people will oftern say 'hike' i think the difference is if there's steps and hills and inclines and then you can safely say it was a hike.  
ive got walking boots but they feel quite stiff and heavy so ive started wearing my trail running shoes for coastal and forest walks, it feels better and if im just doing a walk around the block ill put my road running shoes on. with running shoes they seem to have this up to 500miles limit then need to buy new ones to avoid injuries from where they start to fall apart. i wonder if walking boots and shoes will last abit longer, it's just they dont feel as comfortable as running shoes do.  

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: which shoes do you prefer
« Reply #1 on: 08:04:19, 19/05/20 »
Merrell Moab Ventilator for dry weather, Berghaus gtx for wet.
It's all uphill from here.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:08:48, 19/05/20 »
Merrell Moabs for everything now, shoes for most of the year, mids for winter and very boggy routes. Quite wide forefoot that suits most British feet, excellent cushioning for long distances.

Most walkers just accept the stiff heavy boot mantra as a given, ignoring the obvious correlation with blisters and compeed after any significant distance. No good arguing or presenting evidence, it's like trying to change someone's religion. Yes they'll last considerably longer, but I always say it's prolonging the agony!  :)
Our Moabs and their similar predecessors need replacement more often, but that's the philosophy and price we accept for 20+ years of hiking without a single blister.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:31:07, 19/05/20 »
I’m the other way about. Lightweight shoes are fine for short walks but after a while my ankles ache and my soles start to suffer.  I also find the liners wear out quite quickly, usually before the soles.  For “proper” walking I prefer my boots, Altberg in my case.  My feet and ankles suffer less and I just find them more comfortable.
Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:58:07, 19/05/20 »
One of the key differences for me  is the weight of the shoes compared to boots. I definitely notice the difference at the end of a day out.
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:51:16, 19/05/20 »
I can easily understand why people would want to go for trainers etc, I've read online articles where some people claim all sorts of benefits but for me when hiking the main drawback is when a loaded rucksack is on my back they lose their appeal very quickly.

At present I use a pair of Salomon Ultra X's, they are lightweight, incredibly comfortable, fit my feet like a glove, and they feel solid at the same time. One day a few months ago I forgot my off-road running shoes, my Salomon's were in the car so I put them on a ran my circuit in them. No problem in terms of weight, they just felt a bit big for running, but it worked.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:55:45, 19/05/20 »
Walking shoes for me.  I find them to be a good compromise between boots and trail runners for all the walks I've done so far. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:29:45, 19/05/20 »
I have Merrill Moabs for easier walks and some Altbergs for the rougher, wetter stuff. These have not seen action due to injury and then Covid-19. I find trainers comfortable, but wouldn’t use them on anything other than good surfaces due to an old ankle injury leaving me with a tendency to my right ankle over. The extra ankle protection offered by boots is a must for me.

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 20:57:58, 19/05/20 »
Salomon Ultra X3 prime here.

watershed

« Reply #9 on: 14:55:51, 20/05/20 »
I have 2 pairs of shoes.
The Salomon X Ultra 3 Goretex and the Merrell Moabs which are non Gortex.
These are used as everyday foot wear, gardening, shopping etc.
There is quite a difference between the two.
The Salomon's are a bit dearer and a much superior shoe. Better fit, better outsole for grip, and with a considerable more comfortable midsole.
The only advantages the Merrell could have for some, is a wider forefoot and its more breathable due to no Gortex, but off course resulting in wet feet if you go outside most days in the UK.
Although the Salomon does a wide fit version, and also a non Gortex version for a similar price to the Merrell if you are walking somewhere hot and dry.
If I am doing any serious hiking I don't use the shoes I use the Salomon X ultra 3 Mid, which is a boot.

Prior to that I had a pair of Scarpa Mojito shoes.
They look excellent but I was disappointed in them, Quite a hard midsole, and you could feel the laces through the tongue  on the top of your foot.

« Last Edit: 16:07:43, 20/05/20 by watershed »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:00:59, 20/05/20 »
Cheap and very good in my opinion Karimor Mount Low 8 Weathertite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Walking-Treking-Hiking-Weathertite/dp/B00ZZQR2OQ/ref=pd_lpo_309_t_1/258-8340514-1267231?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZZQR2OQ&pd_rd_r=9cd5b434-18e4-4954-bc6c-bd73bb64b55e&pd_rd_w=ZcpoQ&pd_rd_wg=iwIqr&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=B830XVTX5WMARJ1XQ2V3&psc=1&refRID=B830XVTX5WMARJ1XQ2V3

Others seem to slate them, but I buy a new pair each summer and find them very comfortable reasonably light, certainly far lighter than boots and they even keep the damp out if you stick your foot in the odd wet patch.  I completed the Dartmoor Highgound marathon in a pair last summer and I am still wearing that pair and have done in excess of 700miles in them.  In this warm weather, if I plan a river crossing then I take an old pair with me and put those on for the crossing.  O0

watershed

« Reply #11 on: 16:23:45, 20/05/20 »
Cheap and very good in my opinion Karimor Mount Low 8 Weathertite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Walking-Treking-Hiking-Weathertite/dp/B00ZZQR2OQ/ref=pd_lpo_309_t_1/258-8340514-1267231?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZZQR2OQ&pd_rd_r=9cd5b434-18e4-4954-bc6c-bd73bb64b55e&pd_rd_w=ZcpoQ&pd_rd_wg=iwIqr&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=B830XVTX5WMARJ1XQ2V3&psc=1&refRID=B830XVTX5WMARJ1XQ2V3

Others seem to slate them, but I buy a new pair each summer and find them very comfortable reasonably light, certainly far lighter than boots and they even keep the damp out if you stick your foot in the odd wet patch.  I completed the Dartmoor Highgound marathon in a pair last summer and I am still wearing that pair and have done in excess of 700miles in them.  In this warm weather, if I plan a river crossing then I take an old pair with me and put those on for the crossing.  O0

Certainly at that price if they are comfortable and you like them you are onto a winner.
Although they are heavier than my boots.
I have ordered a spare pair of boots yesterday for £87 special offer

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:31:52, 20/05/20 »
Walking shoes for me.  I find them to be a good compromise between boots and trail runners for all the walks I've done so far.

Just realised the heading says "which shoes do you prefer" .... so my preference is Meindls  :)

MarkT

« Reply #13 on: 17:57:40, 20/05/20 »
I prefer my high heels........but only on Sundays  :D :D :D :D :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:21:31, 20/05/20 »
I prefer my high heels........but only on Sundays  :D :D :D :D :D
The "walkers" that lurked in the entrances to our married quarters in Portsmouth always wore high heels, but only when they were working.  Ask Gunwharfman, he lives there - he will have heard about "Ladies' Mile".
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy