Author Topic: This forum  (Read 4547 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
This forum
« on: 00:36:44, 19/03/07 »
This forum is slow cooooooooooommmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee on guy liven it up pooooooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.   Don't let this forum goooooooooooooooooooooo start posting please please please post
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: This forum
« Reply #1 on: 10:39:54, 19/03/07 »
Ha Ha Ha

I think you venting your frustration there a little.

I must admit though, it does seem a little slow.  I was expecting there to be lots of reports of hikes done over the weekend.

I was out on Sunday, in Nth Yorkshire. A reasonable 15 mile jaunt.  The weather was odd to say the least, hot and sunny one minute and then blizzards the next.  When we were on tops of hill, the wind was fantastic, invigorating.  No point in talking, your words were swept straight from your mouth and then down the valley.

You get out at all?

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 09:06:35, 21/03/07 »
I know what you mean, but feel that the site needs to be useful.    For example I do long distance paths when I can (not so much recently since my son came to planet Earth), and I've found the biggest problem with LDPs is finding somewhere to stay.

Now I'm very much into lightweight walking, so have no desire to carry a tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear etc.   In the past I have tried to use Youth Hostels wherever possible, but the YHA's recent policy of closing hostels anywhere where people might actually want to walk is making that difficult if not impossible.   This could make many LDPs obsolete except to those who like to carry the kitchen sink around with them.

For example the Cambrian Way has a section in the Black Mountains (South Wales), where the only place to stay the night is the Youth Hostel at Capel-y-ffin.   And guess what?    Right, the YHA is shutting it down.

It might therefore be useful to have a section on this site for LDPs, with people somehow registering the fact that they've walked them so that others can learn from their experience, ask questions and glean information such as possible places to stay.    It might even make many people aware of what LDPs are actually out there.

Just a thought.

S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:05:09, 21/03/07 »
Hi there, Snowman,

I understand what you're saying about the site needing to be useful, but hasn't this site already got a somewhat deplete section on Long Distance Paths? Or is the fact that it is deplete what you're getting at?

I find this site useful in some ways, but can't say that it's good for bouncing the ideas off someone else.

How many LDPs have you done?  I've only managed one so far, the Wolds Way, and then only because it's on my doorstep.  I've never stayed in accomodation of the YHA, but obviously would look into it where I to look at anything grander (the Wolds Way is only about 75 miles in length).

When I next get some time, I'd like to attempt the Cleveland Way, which runs up the coast of East Yorkshire and then into Nth Yorkshire.  I have to say most of the camping I do is ad hoc, which I believe is still frowned upon.

Good luck with your son, I've still got it to come, mine are 4 and 6 and still believe i fairies (and long may they remain doing so  :))

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 11:58:16, 22/03/07 »
Hi Mr. Blister,

I know there is a section on LDPs, but it comes under 'Links' which I've assumed to be links to other websites.    I don't know if they are intended to be more than that?

Anyway, regarding Youth Hostels, I'd use them every time if I could.    They are usually very friendly, food is wholesome and affordable, and many of them are now licenced so you can enjoy a beer after a day's walk.     However, the first problem is that as I mentioned, the YHA have been closing down a number of those that are useful to walkers, and this is on top of those that were closed after the last foot and mouth fiasco.

Secondly, too often they are block booked by schools, who seem to think that anyone who isn't a teacher or pupil is a paedo, so insist on no-one else staying there.   Thirdly, the popular ones are often fully booked, which means you have to plan your walk exactly, and can't deviate from that plan (like take a day off if you find somewhere nice).    However if none of these apply then Youth Hostels are good.

What LDPs have I done?    Well I should first mention that much of my walking has been abroad along sections of European GR (Grande Randonee) routes.    To complete a GR is a little difficult unless you can take 6 months off work, but for example we did a section of the Pyrennees a few years ago.

But unfortunately I can usually only get a week's walking at a time (the significant other isn't too pleased about too many extended trips - abroad is OK as she can take a holiday in the sun while I walk), so have tended to do UK LDPs in sections.     The ones I've done are the Thames Path ('cos I live on part of it), the Two Moors Way ('cos I love Dartmoor) and the Cambrian Way ('cos I love Wales).    I've done sections of others (like the SW Coast Path) but not completed them.    Incidentally, I did consider the Cleveland Way myself, but from the research I did it's a bit tricky without wild camping or taking long detours each day to get to nearest villages.   I could be wrong of course, which is why I've suggested an LDP section.

Cheers, S.

Blue-Fingers

« Reply #5 on: 20:39:37, 22/03/07 »
This forum is slow cooooooooooommmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee on guy liven it up pooooooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.   Don't let this forum goooooooooooooooooooooo start posting please please please post

Hi  ;D

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 23:59:41, 22/03/07 »
I don't think this forum is that slow.  I think it actually does reasonably well seeing as it's not connected to a publication and is not highly specific (for example focusing on ultra lighting).  I've not posted so many trip experiences recently due to a case of heel spur (or plantar fasciitis for the techhies) which has limited my activity for a few weeks.  Plus I wanted to rest my feet prior to my next LDP in a couple of weeks (only 5 more working days ;D).  Trouble is I've put weight back on and my fitness has suffered a bit.  I do notice that this site gets a lot of traffic as evidenced by the number of views that threads get and the number of guest viewers that appear here.  It's still a relatively new site as well and I do think it will take off.  Just takes a few more folks to take the plunge. 

There are plenty of hiking/outdoor forums that have bit the dust in the past, but still show up in web searches for the mere fact that people keep visiting them despite there being very little new content.  I've come across a few of these.  Trouble is you forget you've visited them and find yourself reviewing them at a later date which is what keeps them popping up in web searches. 

The winter months are usually relatively fallow for most walkers/hikers due to the shorter days and perhaps weather conditions putting people off (personally I like bad weather).  There should be a steady increase of activity as the fairer weather and longer days roll in. 
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:47:34, 23/03/07 »
I must be the one that's a bit slow  :P, as I wasn't aware that this forum was that new, but I guess consider how few members it has, you must be right.

The alternative - that people just aren't that bothered - is too dreadful to contemplate.  I enjoy walking in bad weather (though not so much camping in bad weather  ;)) and had thought there would be numerous accounts of walks done over the recent bad spell.

Let's hope you're right Titanium, and the more people who join, the more threads/replies are posted.

Which is your next path?  You gonna write another account, eh? Eh? Are you? <<Mr. Blister enquires hopefully>>

Easter weekend for me. Two sections of the Cleveland Way.

martnlol

« Reply #8 on: 14:39:50, 23/03/07 »
slow??could be something to do with this....http://forum.countrywalking.co.uk/forumlive/default.asp [nofollow]

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:19:00, 23/03/07 »
No am just saying that it slow countrywalking and the outdoorsmagic are doing better only because it's  connected to a publication site and all i was saying is that we need to liven things up on here i posted loads of little bits.  But no one posts back or just write about when you go out walking.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Robbosoul

« Reply #10 on: 20:40:11, 25/03/07 »
Hit the nail on the head about this and most forums. Tend to get a bit chummy with lots of personal replies deviating from the point. I have just joined but will try to keep to the point and not use the forum as a 2nd rate chatroom, hope others agree.
Walking is everything not a chore or a totting up game so keep it simple and enjoy.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 00:44:43, 16/04/07 »
This forum as lived up thank you all for joining us. Looking good my walkers/friends lets keep it up

clean it bin it

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:31:10, 16/04/07 »
I don't think this forum is slow.  I don't have time to look at it more than about once a week or once a fortnight, and in my view it has more messages than I can keep up with.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 01:58:24, 17/04/07 »
Yep with everybodys help it is speeding up  ;)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:17:44, 17/04/07 »
And yesterday there was 25 guests looking at the site woohoo!.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy