Author Topic: I'm a pain in the *** !!  (Read 3028 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I'm a pain in the *** !!
« on: 00:32:29, 21/12/16 »
Nobody likes a smart Alec, but unfortunately when it comes to things you know a little about and you encounter stupidity, it is difficult to ignore it.
For instance I have just noticed a very decent looking Karrimor rucksack for sale on a certain auction web-site, with a buy-it now price of +£200.
If any of you fancy buying it please don't let me put you off and if somebody is willing to spend that kind of money I wish the seller well.
But, what I find annoying is either the sheer guess-work, or miss leading write up placed by the seller.

In the past, if interested in items, I have occasionally sent sellers a note with a question and often had these added to the advert to provide others with the information. I doubt in this instance the seller will add my note to his advert !
I pointed out several facts about his advertising statements that weren't accurate (true). Presumably, his incorrect description could be taken as mis-representation of goods, unless auction sites are exempt from aspect of law such as this.
Should I have left well alone or would others have taken exception in a similar way ?

Please ignore the rest of this post if you are not a rucksack addict.
His advert stated the item was from the 1950s or 1960s (you can't have it both decades - which should it be ?) In fact neither are correct, it is more recent.
He claims it to be a piece of UK climbing history. It isn't. It is a very nice rucksack, of a type used by hundreds of school and youth groups. But it isn't a design that would have been popular with climbers. Certainly not of historical climbing significance (which is implied).

If I was a wealthy foreign buyer of British iconic brands/kit - I would like to have faith that what I was considering buying was true to the advertisement.
Although a very nice rucksack, I wouldn't buy this one and as for the price  :o

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: I'm a pain in the *** !!
« Reply #1 on: 08:52:09, 21/12/16 »
It'll probably not be a problem in reality...
a 'Standard punter' just after a rucksack would most likely just go to the high street and spend Faaaaar less anyway.
Someone in the know, like yourself, who's after genuine vintage items most likely won't touch it as they know better.

I imagine if it does sell at that price and the seller HAS misrepresented it, then they would have protection through the Ebay complaints process anyway.

I know where you're coming though; this kind of thing annoys me too.. >:(

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:13:26, 21/12/16 »
My experience of buying used items on said certain auction site, which involves a lot of scanning through listings and occasionally contacting a seller to ask a question, is that one is often dealing with the illiterate and thick-as-two-short-planks members of our society who know next to nothing about the thing the're trying to sell and don't seem to realise how their inability to describe it well is limiting their chances of successfully selling it.
A prime example is when I was looking for a camp bed, when most sellers failed to include something as basic as the dimensions.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:52:27, 21/12/16 »
Yes fernman, it is utterly baffling how some people list stuff. A few years back I was looking for a standard lamp near to home so I could collect it. The nearest item was listed with a blurred photo of their entire living room. Where's the lamp? Oh, it's there, right at the back behind the sofa. ;D

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:28:23, 21/12/16 »
Well, blow me down.
The seller sent me a nice message saying he was grateful for the info and would use it to correct the write up - which he has.
He also reduced the price by £50 and was also curious about a feature of the rucksack and asked me another question.  
Seems I did him an injustice. I did comment on his price, but far be it for me to tell him what he should advertise it at (I don't know) - but I pointed out another has been for sale for months at a lower price.  
Suppose it depends if he wants a quick sale or happy to keep it there until his right buyer comes along.
[/size]Yes fernman, it is utterly baffling how some people list stuff. A few years back I was looking for a standard lamp near to home so I could collect it. The nearest item was listed with a blurred photo of their entire living room. Where's the lamp? Oh, it's there, right at the back behind the sofa. ;D
Yes, blurry photos are common. To be fair I have had some good purchases but earlier on I did have a few mistakes which taught me some valuable lessons.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:17:44, 21/12/16 »
On the subject of inappropriate photos to advertise things - this is on gumtree. They are trying to sell/rehome the pup!

« Last Edit: 14:07:16, 21/12/16 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:57:54, 21/12/16 »
 :o
There must have been another part of the house to take the photo in. It is to be hoped somebody steps in and rescues that dog from some very unusual people.
I suppose on a positive note - that person at least had their joggers up. It could have been a lot worse.
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:14:10, 21/12/16 »
It's not even an Andrex puppy!
Not all those who wander are lost

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:28:00, 21/12/16 »
 I think I have already seen the ad.Good luck to him if he can get some mug to pay £150 for that pack.Its probably worth around £30 as its not in first class condition.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:07:38, 21/12/16 »

For instance I have just noticed a very decent looking Karrimor rucksack for sale on a certain auction web-site, with a buy-it now price of +£200.

My experience of buying used items on said certain auction site

is eBay not allowed?

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:08:12, 22/12/16 »

is eBay not allowed?

Apparently not  O0
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Lolly

« Reply #11 on: 07:49:55, 23/12/16 »
i've had a similar experience reading sellers adverts on said auction website, I very kindly let the seller know that their advert was completely inaccurate (a guy was selling my old car and I knew it inside out and I knew what modifications I had added and their worth), he didn't take any notice or respond, left me feeling very infuritated  >:(
Aiming high - one step at a time

Snowman

« Reply #12 on: 15:58:35, 26/12/16 »
In the US they tend to often refer to 'fleabay'.   I think readers get the general idea.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy