Author Topic: Mickle fell from Hilton  (Read 1356 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Mickle fell from Hilton
« on: 21:58:33, 16/11/08 »
I know that quitea few people might be interested in bagging this hill due to the fact that its the highest hill in Yorkshire (North Riding) and the admin County of Durham's county top. And its in a military training area aka artillery range, and is quite remote.  so its a tricky one.
You can only do this walk when the artillery range is not firing, although  some people do bag Mickle Fell by a long walk from Cow Green.
Any road up, I met Mike from go4awalk again at Hilton, where he'd parked a camper van for the night.
the red flags were down and the range was publicising a no firing day, so, with only slight trepidation at the warning signs that we might explode if we touched anything, we set off up the bridleway into the range.
First, we bagged Little fell, leaving the bridleway and handrailing a small beck for a while. Little Fell has a decrepit trig station in a shelter on it's Eastern top, and a very small cairn of carb limestone on it's summit - a way to the West.
The prospect of Mickle Fell from Little fell's edge is one of a wide desert of peat hags.  The rest of the North pennine scarp is a superb sight from here too.
Walking to Mickle Fell is relatively easy because the hags are firm and we picked up an ATV track which took us most of the way.
The top has a suitably big cairn.
We then went down to Maize back to pick up the soggy bridleway back to the start via Scorsdale. This is a deep and, in places, craggy valley full of lead mining stuff. I expect its really nice, but it went dark just as we hit a good track about 4km from the end.
14 miles and 2500 feet of climbing... and I only fell over once...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy