Author Topic: High Tatras..... and the cocktails that awaits you???  (Read 3307 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
The flight......

having never been on a plane before I was a little solicitous so to say....  But excited all rolled into one. 

On landing in Krakow airport  in good form.   We took a cab to the bus station were we encountered or 4 hour bus journey to a Zakopane after some hilarious and thrilling  driving from the blank-eyed moustachioed fiend at the wheel.   But we got there safely.............. Were we meet a friend bother.

Once at the hotel we peered out over the balcony to see the full beauty of Zakopane and the surrounding the country of the High Tatras.....  We headed out for Grub and finding a restaurant with optional vegetarian  dishes but still quite limited but was very tasty indeed.  And few beers and group planning was made.  Back to the hotel and bed, were I couldn't sleep has I was full of ecstasy of what was to come. 

Woke early to breakfast of bread cheese and eggs.  Although the other had the option of meat-based-products.  and coffee than headed down to the main road were I almost got crushed to death by a crazed driver, or mebes I was was the crazy one not being n my own environment. 

Anyhow ascending for the summit of Giewont.  We collected our permit's for the week which worked out very cheap indeed.  The path is on easy treks though forest paths but dose turn rocky nearer to the tops. Not having a head for heights I tracked the fixed chains  and pulled myself onwards.     Enormous steel cross and mighty fine views in all direction.   It did however fascinate me that the locals were head up this thing in jeans and shorts and sandals, but no one seemed to care about how they were dressed.  Even nun wearing habit were seen on top apparently they go here to pray. 

We decided to descent the path via a different way.  With ridges and more fixed chains.  The weather was specular with blue sunny skies.  All day on descenting down our friends bother injured his knee with an almighty crack. 

Next we set our sights on taking a cable car up to 2000m and going for a ridge walk.....  But this wasn't meant to be our aims were shattered for the day and I was planning on waiting upto 5 hours to not even get a glimpse of the cable car the news reporters were out in full.   Even tried to interview me but with the language barrier problem he soon moved on to the next victim.  So an persistent case for plan 'B' was in order.  A short but lovely climb up Nosal.   Which turned out wonderful with more fine views until I encountered a wasp. There was a shrieky scream and my expensive digital camera was hurled to the ground....   TD retrieved the camera. And my friend continued, cursing, one of my  other friends was a lunatic.  And the utter disguised Canadians  faces of being told it was only a wasp..... We sunbathed by the river had Ice cream or rather a lody and fries.  Turned out well. 

Rest day. 
Saw us swiping the tales Zakopane town......  And soaking up the sun, quite an enthralling place and dose however get quite busy at night....  We dinned than of to fined a cocktail bar.... found an excellent corpuscular bar called Legenda Nietoperza ''The Legend of The Bat'' sounds like the kind of place where count Dracula might hang out, which did spectacular cocktails including  wait for it 'The Bat's Revenge'   Served in a 2 litre jug with everyone getting 5 shot glasses set in front of them and downing them in quick
succession.  This has got to be the best cocktails bar in Zakopane.   Had a lovely meal in an opened air restaurant....  And headed back to the hotel. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: High Tatras..... and the cocktails that awaits you???
« Reply #1 on: 12:50:12, 02/11/09 »
We discussed the next move.  Over brekkie  We had fancied tackling Rysy which is Poland's highest peak (2499m) and like Giewont has fixed chains to guide you to its rocky summit. However are friends bother wounded knee dictated otherwise. We decided on a lovely walk up to The Valley of Five Polish Lakes.  Which turned out to be a cracking day, the sun was out in full.   We walked to the bus station took the bus to the start of our walk.   Which took up the long wide road....  Were some peeps were than getting a horse a carriage to the starting point of there walk.  We decided to walk it.   Well I did fancy going on one for the crack, but the guys were having none of it.  Again the walk  does start out with forests but than clearing to mighty fine ridges which of amazing panoramic views.   It was in full swing of the locals dressed in sandals jogging pants etc etc.  With waterfalls ridged edges all around you.  We came to the main lake, and decided to relax and in joy the weather.    We descented via another lake and stopped for a pint at a mountain hostel at 1625m.  And listen to the local folk playing on there guitars....  Once down we sat at a smoky barbecued  shack.....  Having a couple of beers and  food.   That was that for the hill walking did what to do some rock climbing but you can only do this on some of the routes and you need a guide. 
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:02:08, 02/11/09 »
Fast forward to a week later....

On doing a night shift I did read a funny article in the local paper of people reporting to have seen a ''YETI'' yep that's right a YETI.   Around the High Tatras.  Than it appeared in a magazine called the FORTEAN  TIMES.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?Bikini_girl:_Pervert_yeti_stalked_me&in_article_id=728952&in_page_id=2

clean it bin it

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 15:58:07, 02/11/09 »
Cheers for that an intresting read will give it a couple of hours before I hit the cocktails
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

mad max

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:56:40, 03/11/09 »
I have been to Zakopane  to see the Tatra mountains one November.A trip in the summer months is planned to do some walking there.

Giewont with its steel cross.

Tatras from Gubalowka.

View to Zakopane from cablecar on Gubalowka.

Close up of Giewont.

Freeman of Tryfan.
Welsh Nuttalls completer.
I am a troll,beware.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:16:37, 03/11/09 »

One of many mountain huts....

Easy trekking up the path to the top.

Fixed chains near to the top.
this is me climbing the chain.

Lots of peeps on the narrow-rounded top.

The signs....

Girls just want to have fun.

Here comes the Yeti.  Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.

Me on Nosal and more scrambling up.

clean it bin it

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:34:14, 03/11/09 »
Excellent report and photos. Must admit the area looks really impressive and it sounds like it was an experience in parts! lol   ;D O0
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:56:26, 03/11/09 »
Wow it looks fab there walking girl!That rucksack looks bigger than you lol, lovely photos thanks O0

ewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:23:20, 04/11/09 »
Excellent report and photos, Walkinggirluk!  O0

I used to walk in Tatras with my family .... your photos brought memories ...

Thank you,
Ewa
There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew. -Marshall McLuhan
Kentmere - My Home:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34192204@N08/

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:42:56, 09/11/09 »
Yeah we did a weeks walking in the Tatra's a few years ago, absolutely brilliant, its well worth the trip over. Really enjoyed the local food as well, everything seemed to be cooked in vodka, well it seemed that way!  O0

ewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:39:53, 09/11/09 »
for you Gary ... for you ....  ;)
There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew. -Marshall McLuhan
Kentmere - My Home:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34192204@N08/

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:21:47, 06/12/09 »
I enjoyed reading that and seeing the pics, thank you.  O0
~
Sue

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:34:23, 11/12/09 »
looks fantastic place yeti and and all...love the pics
cozza O0
little victorys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy