Author Topic: "Reliable" car parks in North, East or Cental lakes.  (Read 1236 times)

humansnail

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a car park that "usually" has available spaces on a Saturday (just tying to get a few ideas, I won't hold you to it if it turns out to be full :D ). Normally, I always try to get to the Lakes by 8ish, so parking is never a problem. However, the opportunity has arisen to get down to the lakes on Sat, but we won't be arriving until between 1 and 3. We don't mind where we go in the Eastern, Northern or Central areas - as long as it's somewhere with decent access to some nice hills.

I'm not looking for you to give away your secret spot, or even recommend anywhere free (although that would of course be a bonus! ;D ) - I'm thinking more along the lines of bigger carparks/car parking areas that tend not to fill up on a Saturday (If they exist?). There will be three of us in the car, so even if we have to pay over the odds, that's fine.

We were thinking of parking in Keswick (maybe the carparks get full around that time too?) and getting the bus somewhere, but as we won't be getting there until much later than usual, we were planning on coming back as late as possible if the weather is OK.

Thanks,
HS

photonut

Re: "Reliable" car parks in North, East or Cental lakes.
« Reply #1 on: 09:46:40, 18/06/19 »
Hi HS,

In and around Keswick there are lots of parking spaces so I really don't think you will struggle to find a spot.  Crosthwaite road car park is a large (ish) car park and will probably not be full.  If it is try Brundholme rd or failing that you could try the left hand turning off the A5271 which is a lane that terminates with a pedestrian footbridge to Portinscale.

Like you I'm parked usually well before 8am, but I have noticed that parking is generally a premium between 9am and about 2pm.  By 2pm people are starting to wonder off home so you will not have difficulty getting parked after that.... unless of course you're in Windermere, Ambleside or Grasmere.  Those three places are always busy.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Lee

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:23:49, 18/06/19 »
I've never had a problem parking in Keswick, I just choose the back streets away from the town and park there. All of the free parking I use is from where cars turn off from the dual carriageway from Penrith all the way down to where the YHA building is, usually loads of choice. When I park I'm prepared to walk a bit to where I want to get to, for me its makes all the difference, cruising around and around just waiting for a 'magic' parking slot to appear is such a waste of ones time.

What happens so many times and I see it in Old Portsmouth so often, (we are a tourist area as well) is that loads of people desperately want to park next to a shop till, next to the coffee shop seat of their choice and next to the cinema front door and are prepared to sit in a long traffic jam coming into the city to try to achieve it. I'm sure they fail miserably everytime?

If I have to visit a local town or city, for example for me its usually Southampton, Winchester or Chichester I just throw my bike in the back of my car,  find a parking slot on an outlying estate (loads available as most people have gone to work) and cycle to where I want to get to. When my son was young we would often go into a shopping centre, (rucksack and shoes on our backs) on our roller blades, easy to do as an adult when you have your child by your side. He's now thirty and neither of us do this now.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:49:51, 18/06/19 »

I was staying in Threlkeld recently and there was a small carpark near the Blencathra Centre, at the end of the road, which always seemed to have space in it. That may have been last week though!
It would be a reasonable park for Skiddaw or Blencathra or points north.

taxino8

« Reply #4 on: 21:21:18, 19/06/19 »
There’s a nice on right at the end of Hartsop, in Patterdale with room for about twelve to fifteen cars and you just put a donation into the honesty box.
I left mine there overnight without any problems, I think as it’s remote and there is only a narrow road in would be thieves probably wouldn’t go there as it would be hard to get away if caught.

photonut

« Reply #5 on: 13:47:19, 20/06/19 »
There’s a nice on right at the end of Hartsop, in Patterdale with room for about twelve to fifteen cars and you just put a donation into the honesty box.

I use this car park a lot and it gets jammed full by about 10am. There is parking at Cow Bridge (free) on the A592 which for some reason doesn't often seem to be full.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:03:15, 20/06/19 »
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30400.0  Have a look at my post on this thread. #8
Solvitur Ambulando

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:48:57, 20/06/19 »
Two I use:
Cow Bridge (free)  NY 4025 1339

Blae Tarn (free) NY 2955 0433
Skip

humansnail

« Reply #8 on: 19:54:06, 20/06/19 »
Thank you for all of the replies! Very helpful! O0

photonut

« Reply #9 on: 20:59:03, 22/06/19 »
I can vouch for Ninthace's gpx file.  I have used that on numerous occasions

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy