Author Topic: Karrimor shoes are they good?  (Read 6911 times)

wilson491845

Karrimor shoes are they good?
« on: 17:19:32, 11/11/19 »
Hi folks I have just seen a pair of Karrimor shoes called Karrimor KSB Tech Approach Hiking shoes,I just want a casual pair of shoes for walking my dog and going to the shops in the winter,can anyone tell me if they ahve any experience of this shoe model,I heard that Karrimor were quite well regarded years ago but have been taken over by another company,and I'm wondering if they would be good quality they are on sale at £39.99 and the original price was £134.99  I have tried to add a photo,but it hasn't worked I wasn't sure how to do it
« Last Edit: 17:22:35, 11/11/19 by wilson491845 »

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Karrimor shoes are they good?
« Reply #1 on: 17:40:35, 11/11/19 »
I guess you get what you pay for but I have just bought a pair of Karrimor Summit walking shoes from Sports Direct £29.99.  I had a previous pair that I used for walking around where I live mainly to get fit for "proper" walks however they were very comfortable and whilst the soles eventually wore out I must have walked over 1,000 miles.  They were pretty knackered before I started walking the Camino earlier this year, they were perfect for that although to be honest they did fall apart - they were my backup pair so it didn't matter but it was only the soles that gave out and not the tops so I could still use them in the evening.

wilson491845

« Reply #2 on: 18:04:17, 11/11/19 »
Hi,yes they were bought by SD,I think I might give them a try I'm on a tight budget and my trainers at the moment are useless,thanks for your help

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:06:11, 11/11/19 »
Ignore the "original price" of £134.99. It is a sharp practice of the company that owns the Karrimor brand to inflate the figures - will I get sued if I say invent? - to make you think you're getting an absolute bargain.

wilson491845

« Reply #4 on: 18:13:31, 11/11/19 »
Yes I agree,it draws a lot of people in

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:55:01, 13/11/19 »
Ignore SD's pricing practices.  They are there to pull people in.  Just look at the current sticker price.  Then give them a go. 

Currently I have 5 pairs of Karrimor walking shoes in various states of wear.  In fact I have a pair on now sat in the lounge.  I find them very comfortable, water resistant in puddles. No shoes will keep the moors out. Reasonably hard wearing, as I rotate mine it's hard to say how long they last.  They are quite heavy for shoes due to a decent thick and very grippy soul.

What's not to like. Very little for £30 a pair.

wilson491845

« Reply #6 on: 21:27:33, 13/11/19 »
Hi thanks I visited SD today and was amazed at the amount of shoes that they have,a lot of them looked so similar it made me wonder if 1 or 2 companies are making them for everyone else,I tried on 4 pairs and the only shoe that was comfortable was a Karrimor panther low,they were £64 though and after seeing how good the prices of a lot of the other shoes were,I have decided to see if the Panther gets reduced or I will go back again when I have more time and try of some different shoes

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:41:18, 13/11/19 »
If it is comfort you want, I always buy merrell, give them a go
you have 1 life live it

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:51:02, 13/11/19 »
If it is comfort you want, I always buy merrell, give them a go
Boyes are selling Merrell boots at extremely low prices.

I think Karrimor are real vfm. As per previous posts on this forum.
 I slashed near the lacing area of my Allotment karrimor boots four days ago but fixed them with Gaffa tape, superglue and spray on waterproofer. They are as bad looking as they can possibly be, but after the rain of the last few days dry and comfortable.

Too little, too late, too bad......

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 04:45:55, 14/11/19 »
I’ve only ever had one pair of Karrimor, although they were walking boots, not shoes. Never again! After a fairly short time, they started leaking badly & one of the soles started to split.
In most cases, get what you pay for! ::)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

wilson491845

« Reply #10 on: 10:18:03, 14/11/19 »
Boyes are selling Merrell boots at extremely low prices.

I think Karrimor are real vfm. As per previous posts on this forum.
 I slashed near the lacing area of my Allotment karrimor boots four days ago but fixed them with Gaffa tape, superglue and spray on waterproofer. They are as bad looking as they can possibly be, but after the rain of the last few days dry and comfortable.
Thanks

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:22:19, 30/11/19 »
I've had them.... for general use and dog walks they're ok. They don't last well and are cheaply made and/or heavy

The best advice I've come up with is to get boots properly fitted at one of the bigger shops (preferably not go outdoors), make your excuses and go find them online, go outdoors or even second hand if you have to - It's the best way to get the right boots (or shoes) for you at the best price. Chances are, the leading brands (with a few exceptions) will last long enough to make the price difference worthwhile - I.e. they may cost three times as much as karrimor but last four times as long  ;)

Once upon a time, karrimor were one of the best (mid eighties at a guess) sadly now they're on par with go outdoors' own brand rubbish  :-\

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:41:41, 01/12/19 »
Likewise I got excited when I saw a post in the Bargain Thread for Berghaus Hillmaster boots on Amazon for £67. I soon lost interest when I read all the bad reviews for them, and I could understand why they were being offloaded cheap.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:35:50, 01/12/19 »
Likewise I got excited when I saw a post in the Bargain Thread for Berghaus Hillmaster boots on Amazon for £67. I soon lost interest when I read all the bad reviews for them, and I could understand why they were being offloaded cheap.

I've never tried them but had a quick look at a pair in go outdoors once - they went straight back on the shelf; they felt [censored] even just from picking them up

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:02:06, 01/12/19 »
Hillmasters? Why did you take the view that you did? What did your 'quick look' tell you about them?

I don't own a pair but I do own a pair of their Superlights. For me, they are a great boot, comfortable and light but I know that others might say otherwise. Like so many boots their weakness is that they have poor grip on slippery surfaces. Are two boots from the same brand so really different?

I've actually seen good write-ups on the Hillmaster and if I am correct a Forum member has recently bought a pair. I wonder what he thinks about his purchase?

One thing does interest me though, are we very sure that the shoes, boots and running shoes that we buy are really unique to the brand thats stuck or printed on them? Or are we buying from a range of 'basic' items that are essentially the same or at least similar but its the brand name that tends to make the difference to us?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy