Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 40473 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #105 on: 21:14:54, 21/12/17 »
I have, of course, got the standard response. I'll have to have a pick through it later to try to illicit a personal answer.

pdstsp  I agree about the non-exec route but can't find contact details.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 21:15:56, 21/12/17 »
In other words, "It's not us - it's them!"

Good to see the NT weighing in, on of the 'big guns' so to speak.
Not all those who wander are lost

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 08:29:17, 22/12/17 »

Morning

I have, of course, got the standard response. I'll have to have a pick through it later to try to illicit a personal answer.

pdstsp  I agree about the non-exec route but can't find contact details.

If I get a response I'll post it up here - there are no contact details on the UU Corporate site for the non-execs.
Paul

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 08:31:54, 22/12/17 »
Sent a reply to Mr Mogford. One think I mentioned to him, which I thought spoke volumes, is that they send you links to comment on the planning application but these are to Treetop Treks. They don't have a vested interest in not representing those views to the planning authority do they.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #109 on: 08:53:28, 22/12/17 »
Non exec UU board members, the only one I can find contact details for so far is

Stephen Carter aka Lord Carter of Barnes [email protected]; [email protected]

Steve18566

« Reply #110 on: 11:18:04, 22/12/17 »
Dr John McAdam - chairman
Steve Mogford - chief executive officer
Russ Houlden - chief financial officer
Steve Fraser - chief operating officer
Mark Clare - senior non-executive director
Stephen Carter - non-executive director
Alison Goligher - non-executive director
Brian May - non-executive director
Paulette Rowe - non-executive director
Sara Weller - non-executive director

This appears to be the full list of directors and non exec directors.

Unfortunately I've no contact details

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 11:56:02, 22/12/17 »
Sent a reply to Mr Mogford. One thing I mentioned to him, which I thought spoke volumes, is that they send you links to comment on the planning application but these are to Treetop Treks. They don't have a vested interest in not representing those views to the planning authority do they.
Just got this from UU
Dear Mark

In Steve’s absence I am responding to your further note to him in order to get you a speedy response.

We will ensure that in any future replies to queries we get about the Thirlmere Zip Wire application we will include reference to these contact details:

[email protected]

Or alternatively write to:

Development Management
Lake District National Park Authority
Murley Moss

Quoting reference number 7/2017/2298

Kind regards

Gaynor Kenyon
Corporate Affairs Director
Can anyone contacting them in the future please let me know if this is true or not.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 19:39:54, 22/12/17 »
I have accidentally started an email conversation with the Corporate Affairs Director at United Utilities, I've just wished her a Happy Christmas and sent her this picture.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 20:10:03, 22/12/17 »
Send it to Mike Turner and ask what it is that he loves about the Lake District. He does, he said he does!
Think he loves the money he makes from it  >:(

Nice pic btw, very talented photographer  ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 22:53:29, 22/12/17 »
Nice pic btw, very talented photographer  ;)
Talented photographer but she swears like a ................................................................................nun.

I've had another email from her complaining that the photo didn't come through so I've resent it. At this rate I'll have her objecting to the planning application by this time next week.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 20:46:37, 23/12/17 »
Its big money, but how the local area will cope with the huge influx of vsitors, i have no idea, but  i thought no way would people pay a crazy £50 for less than two minutes fun down the longest  zip wire in Europe based in Bethesda in Snowdonia, yet the owners turn over for last year, has topped the million mark with ease.

At the height of the summer season two years ago, some friends of mine were left disappointed, being told that the ride had been pre booked for the next three weeks, and the only chance of a go, was if there were any cancellations.

I am not a mean git, but £50 would cover my fuel for a nice weekend away, say in Northumberland, or Durham.

The owner of the attraction in Thirlmere, is on to a winner, its a sure guarantee to make huge money.

£50 is a bit rich for me, i can think of a lot better things to do with it, than a daft few minutes of excitement

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 20:56:25, 23/12/17 »
no way would people pay a crazy £50 for less than two minutes fun down the longest  zip wire in Europe based in Bethesda in Snowdonia

The website quotes £85 as the cost of the ride in Wales

The owner of the attraction in Thirlmere, is on to a winner, its a sure guarantee to make huge money.

Thankfully there is no owner of the attraction in Thirlmere, it needs planning permission first

I agree with you DA, there are much better ways to spend that amount of money.
Hate will never win

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #117 on: 21:05:18, 23/12/17 »
Blimey, its gone up in price.
I can remember visiting the owner several years ago, before the venture was trully up and running. He was looking for  the installation of electronic data tagging, for his harnesses, as he wanted to keep strict records for his incredible insurance bill for the venture.

If there had been any accidents or injury claims against him, he wanted to ensure he had every trip down the wire recorded.

The last time i visited the site, it was £50 a go, but £85 is nuts.

Thats more than half of what i paid for a full weeks holiday in Cornwall, nosh, accommodation and three trips to Penzance, Falmouth and Lands End.

My week away cost only £139, and it was worth every penny.

£85 for less than 180sec of excitement,  Each to their own,  but that's daylight robbery.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #118 on: 22:42:45, 23/12/17 »

Thats more than half of what i paid for a full weeks holiday in Cornwall, nosh, accommodation and three trips to Penzance, Falmouth and Lands End.

but what did you pay for food?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 10:19:59, 24/12/17 »
I had to make my own way to llandudno junction, but then everything was included in the price of £149.
Coach travel to St Ives in Cornwall, 5 nights accommodation in the hotel, breakfast and evening meal, as well as three trips to Penzance, Falmouth and Paradise Park Bird gardens, and Lands End and surrounding area.
Annoyingly, Shearings had sent me a discount code email of £20 off a holiday three days before i booked the trip.

I rang them up, asking if i could use that discount code, but they said it was only valid on the day they sent me the email.

I could have paid £129, but paid £149.

The food was included in the price and was excellent, considering how cheap the holiday was.

Quite an extensive menu during the evening, and the full English breakfast every morning.

It still represented magnificent value, and it was a sensible way of seeing Cornwall for the first time, in the depths of winter without the hassle of taking my own car, and tryring to find somewhere safe to park t.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy