Author Topic: Three Peaks Light  (Read 4787 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Three Peaks Light
« on: 20:24:14, 28/05/16 »
My sons and a girlfriend are planning on redoing the Y3P. They have asked if I want to join them. I don't mind the hills but really don't think I can face the slog between Pen y Ghent and Whernside; nor the final stint off Ingleborough.
I'm thinking of walking the hills but not the stretches between.

So after pen y Ghent, return to Horton the drive to Ribblehead. Meet them there and walk Whernside and Ingleborough (not much slog between them).

However, is there an easy route or even a route  back to Ribblehead from Ingleborough without retracing my steps down the staircase that is?

Thanks.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Three Peaks Light
« Reply #1 on: 20:31:14, 28/05/16 »
There is a route which passes over Simon Fell and Park Fell and brings you out on the Horton to Ribblehead road, about a mile from the junction where the Ribblehead car park is.

I haven't done this walk but a few people on here have.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:37:52, 28/05/16 »
Thanks Bricam. Now you've mentioned it, I can now see the path on the map. You must be magic!!!

One F

« Reply #3 on: 21:00:34, 28/05/16 »
The route back to Ribblehead via Simon Fell and Park Fell is an excellent high level path - don't forget to keep turning round to look at Ingleborough as it is seen at, probably, it's best from this angle. Steep grassy descent from Park Fell down to Colt Park, can be very slippy when wet - and that's from personal experience :-) There is an alternative to the road walk and that is from the bottom of Park Fell to the old quarry at Ribblehead. Funnily enough I am considering that route for tomorrow - all depends ........

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:02:05, 28/05/16 »
That's a cracking route back off Ingleboro' O0  Last time we did The Y3P we left a car in the layby near the railway cottages then took another to Horton and did the route as usual until leaving I'boro. Instead of the dreary trudge back to Horton we took this path back to Car 1.
And From a walk perspective its only very marginally shorter than returning to Horton, so to my mind it still counts!  :D

Enjoy your day. :)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:41:55, 28/05/16 »
One F - looking forward to the TR. and I am all too familiar with slipping on grassy slopes. Would the walking poles help? Is it as steep as off park g down the Howgills?

Hillhiker1 - I like the sound of that plan. However my companions may need persuading even though they have both done the full challenge previously.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:43:01, 28/05/16 »
My sons and a girlfriend are planning on redoing the Y3P. They have asked if I want to join them. I don't mind the hills but really don't think I can face the slog between Pen y Ghent and Whernside; nor the final stint off Ingleborough.
I'm thinking of walking the hills but not the stretches between.

So after pen y Ghent, return to Horton the drive to Ribblehead. Meet them there and walk Whernside and Ingleborough (not much slog between them).

However, is there an easy route or even a route  back to Ribblehead from Ingleborough without retracing my steps down the staircase that is?

Thanks.

One F has given you the best proper route back to Ribblehead, but if you simply wish to avoid the 'staircase' just walk about 100 yards along the path and go over the edge. A lot less risky and softer than the stairs.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:51:08, 28/05/16 »
Thanks Peter. I'm envisaging all sorts of ways of going over the edge, btw!!!

Can Imjust check with you knowledgable folk, if I do return to Riblehead that way - is it shorter/quicker than the descent to Horton? I want to be back in time to drive and collect the rest.

Thanks.

One F

« Reply #8 on: 23:03:06, 28/05/16 »
One F - looking forward to the TR. and I am all too familiar with slipping on grassy slopes. Would the walking poles help? Is it as steep as off park g down the Howgills?

Walking poles a definite help. I've walked a fair bit in the Howgills but unless I'm having a senior moment  :-[ , not familiar with 'park g'.

Don't wait up for the TR - long time since I did one of those.

Mileage wise - not a lot in it between the balcony path along Simon and Park Fell to Ribblehead and the usual descent to Horton via Sulber Nick. Slightly shorter if you leave the car in the lay by mentioned by Hillhiker. No comparison though in the 'quality' of the route. The rest can sit in the pub or cafe and wait until you have enjoyed the walk off Ingleborough - the price to pay for being chauffeured  ;)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:26:37, 28/05/16 »
Blame auto correct or poor editing or both. Think I meant going off the path. Maybe off-pisting?! It was me having the senior moment, not you, in any case.

Well if not a full TR, maybe a brief précis.?

One F

« Reply #10 on: 07:43:21, 29/05/16 »

Well if not a full TR, maybe a brief précis.?

I am sorry but not even a brief precis - it is a beautiful morning (0730 right now) and I am ready for the off but will be staying local to Settle. Tomorrow , of course, is another day .......

One F

« Reply #11 on: 18:43:00, 29/05/16 »
I tell porkies. Or as Tonto said "white man speak with forked tongue"  ;)

So, instead of staying around Settle for a local walk it was off along the Ribble Way and then the Dales High Way route to Ingleborough, followed by the ridge walk along Simon Fell and Park Fell finishing up at Ribblehead some 16 miles later. Glorious day to be out. Hardly saw a soul for the first 2 or so hours, then a fair number of folks going up/coming down to/from Ingleborough along the main Horton path. Quiet walk along the ridge path before the throngs at Ribblehead.

Some pics to have a peek at.

River Ribble looking quite low

The old bridge at Stainforth Force

Ingleborough summit

Looking down to the path split - Humphrey Bottom and Chapel le Dale is over the edge to the left and straight down, the ridge path (clearly seen) branches off to the right and is signed too.

The green sign shows the ridge route to the right .... just keep on going all the way along, right at the edge ....

Turn around and have a look at where you have come from ...

From Simon Fell the path drops down sharply before climbing steadily up Park Fell - just keep that wall on your right hand side.

Another look back at Ingleborough

and the view down to Ribblehead

Follow the wall (on your right) all the way over Park Fell and eventually you see the way down to Colt Park. Today it was dry and a quick (and safe) descent followed. If it's wet - take care!! There are a couple of places where it may be better to hop over the broken down wall and walk  between the wall and a fence.

At the bottom have a peek at the descent

Pleasant walk now, past Colt park and then down the limestone track, over a cattle grid (look left for a view of an almost intact, old limestone kiln), over the railway, past the houses and onto the road. Left for Ribblehead and after a few hundred yards is the lay by mentioned by Hillhiker. Just about 4 miles to the lay by from the summit of Ingleborough and a good half a mile saving on going all the way back to Ribblehead.

A view you won't see (taken from the platform at Ribblehead station), but it pretty much shows the ridge route, from right to left, Ingleborough, Simon Fell and Park Fell.

Now, where to go tomorrow?

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:33:57, 30/05/16 »
Thanks OneF! What a star- TR, photos, advice and all! I don't know what came over you, but I'm glad it did... 8)

That route is definitely on the list. Looks like you had good weather which does make a difference especially on grassy slopes (and to my mood).

I am tempted at some point to do your whole route, using the train to get me around - to start and finish I mean  O0. It just depends on how long it's  to take (I'm not the quickest!)

Hope you find inspiration for today - we had a great walk on Hadrian's Wall yesterday - for once it wasn't freezing!!

Looking forward to the next TR ;)

One F

« Reply #13 on: 22:06:37, 30/05/16 »

I don't know what came over you,

Neither do I, but I'm better now  :)

Yesterday's venture was the third time on that route -2 years ago since the last time - and it is a walk of contrasts with plenty to 'see' on the way and one that I enjoyed revisiting. If you do decide to have a crack at it, then let me know  :)

Not done much around Hadrians Wall other than the bit on the Pennine Way.

Inspiration today, well that was a slightly extended Settle Loop - (google it for more detailed info it is part of the Pennine Bridleway, also no photos cos I didn't take mi camera) - 6.5 miles of walking (that's the uphill bit) and 6 miles of gentle jogging (that's the downhill bit). Lovely day to be out with plenty of sunshine and a nice cooling breeze on the higher bits.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:50:52, 31/05/16 »

Inspiration today, well that was a slightly extended Settle Loop - (google it for more detailed info it is part of the Pennine Bridleway, also no photos cos I didn't take mi camera) - 6.5 miles of walking (that's the uphill bit) and 6 miles of gentle jogging (that's the downhill bit). Lovely day to be out with plenty of sunshine and a nice cooling breeze on the higher bits.

You put me to shame Kev  :-[  jogging?

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy