Author Topic: TR Wild camp on Seatoller Fell Sat 14 to Sun 15 Jul 18  (Read 1569 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1
We got the bus to Seatoller. We wanted to go over Base Brown, the Gables and pitch on Seathwaite Fell. The weather had other ideas, it was really windy even in the valley and we were already thinking of changing our plans when we began the climb up to Seathwaite Slabs. Note the river bed is dry.

Base Brown ahead

The rocky scramble by Sourmilk Gill

We were overtaken by woman here, our heavy packs slowed us down. We were initially very irritated by another woman and children who were shouting very loudly above the rocky scramble. Irritation turned to concern (and guilt for being grumpy  :-[) when the woman told us her 12 year old son was missing. They had become separated on the way up when he'd stopped to have a pee.She looked frantic and was worried he'd fallen and hurt himself. Beefy got her companion's mobile number, we said we would look out for him on our walk up. So did the woman who had passed us earlier. The 12 year old turned up just as we were going through the gate. He was a typical nonchalant teenage lad, going through that phase they do, he was shrugging and wondering what the fuss was all about. We were pleased he'd been found and was alright, I felt sorry for his mother; she'd had a bit of an ordeal.

Base Brown from above Seathwaite Slabs

We'd stopped for our lunch at the gill near Seathwaite Slabs. An Australian couple asked us about water and if it was safe to drink. They were wild camping but had no filters. We said boiling running water would most likely be ok, I hope they enjoyed their camp, a nice couple. We watched the cloud lower and cover Green Gable and threaten Base Brown. The wind was very strong where we were and the planned route was abandoned. We would go up onto the Grey Knotts ridge and see if we could find a sheltered pitch there. We thought it was very unlikely we would get a sunset with all the cloud about. Beefy also felt a bit unwell. We would make it an easier walk.

Fleetwith Pike from the Grey Knotts ridge

It was a rough walk across to Grey Knotts. We couldn't see a gate or stile anywhere and we crossed the wall in a gap where it had fallen down, a bit awkward because there was a wire fence on the other side. We looked up at Grey Knotts. It would be too windy up there so we walked across the fell toward Seatoller

Allen Crags, Great End, Seathwaite Fell, Base Brown and Gables

The weather started clearing as we got onto Seatoller Fell. We got some water from a beck that runs down to the Borrowdale Yews. It took a long time, it was no more than a trickle, we need rain! We wandered around for about half an hour trying to find somewhere to pitch. We eventually opted for a spot where we were sheltered from the worst of the wind.

Beefy looking down at Borrowdale

The MSR on Seatoller Fell

We got our water on to filter after we got the tent up.

Glaramara

Seathwaite Fell, Great End and Scafell Pike

Smashing views. Who would have thought this part of the fell would be so good? We agreed pitching where we did was the best thing to do. It would have been really windy on Seathwaite Fell.

A specially taken shot just for pleb

The MSR in a great wild camp location

We had our tea and poured some wine, enjoying this unexpectedly good camp.

The sun going down behind the slopes of Dale Head

We had to ascend a little to get the sunset view we couldn't see it from the tent.

Nice sunset colours

Another sunset shot

Not a bad sunset and unexpected when we'd reached Seathwaite slabs earlier. What a find this place is, a great place to pitch. Day 1 was Seatoller - Seathwaite Slabs - Grey Knotts ridge - Seatoller Fell 6.8km 533m of ascent.

Day 2
We were packed and away by 7.45. We planned to walk to Keswick and pop up onto Castle Crag on the way. It was quite windy where we were, we didn't fancy going any higher.

On the way down to the Old Toll Road

Beefy on the Old Toll Road

The wind was rally gusting along here. We'd taken our jackets off on the descent. We put them on again, it was cold!

Spot the tent on Thornythwaite Fell

We'd spotted the tent from our pitch before we left

Castle Crag and Kings How

The lovely bridleway to Grange

Skiddaw and Castle Crag

The wind was really strong here too and we thought it would be really windy on Castle Crag

A look back to the cloud building up from the foot of Castle Crag

We got up to the stile below Castle Crag. I didn't feel so well, I felt really queasy. Not sure if it is the high pollen, Beefy had been feeling a bit off yesterday. We decided to miss it out and stopped for a long break for some food and a brew.

Our brew and break view below Castle Crag

We managed to get out of the wind here.

On the path to Manesty

Normally a boggy route, very dry at the moment

Nitting Haws and Blea Crag

We got to Manesty and I looked at the time. We could make it back to Keswick for 1.30 but we would have to walk at a fast pace. It was too hot to do that despite the wind so we walked to Grange to catch a bus to Keswick instead. At Manesty some nice young lads asked us where they were on their map. From their accents I think they were from Northern Ireland. We didn't know if they were DofErs or not. We were pleased to be of help, nice lads they were. We got our bus home from Keswick and I managed to catch the last set and a bit of the mens final. Day 2 was Seatoller Fell - Old Toll Road - Hollows Farm - Below Castle Crag - Manesty - Grange. 9.7km with 306m ascent.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp on Seatoller Fell Sat 14 to Sun 15 Jul 18
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:25, 17/07/18 »
Yet another fine selection of pics,
And nice write up Ape O0
Tremendous  :)
Fancy a wc this weekend :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:55:22, 17/07/18 »
Ta beefy, don't mind if we do another WC this weekend O0
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:49:44, 17/07/18 »
Great photos and report, as always April O0   Hope you're both feeling better now too!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:49:04, 17/07/18 »
Lovely pics and Tr April O0
Fancy a wc this weekend :D
Go on then  ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:50:23, 17/07/18 »
Thanks sunnydale, we are ok now, not sure what was up with us!

I forgot to mention in the TR I spotted David Hall and his wife Jennifer from the 77 bus as it travelled from Grange to the Catbells Terrace road. I did wave at them but if they saw me they would most likely be thinking "Who is that very strange woman and why is she waving at us?"  :-[

Go on then  ;D

Oh no, not another Kut Price Tour  :o  :'(
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:07:57, 17/07/18 »
Lovely photos April, you were obviously in a different Lake District to us this weekend.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:27:21, 18/07/18 »
Lovely photos April, you were obviously in a different Lake District to us this weekend.

:) It was a bit grim on Saturday morning and it was quite windy for both days. Henry also had quite nice weather on Saturday. You must be taking over from Karl as the not very nice weather magnet  ;)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:02:03, 18/07/18 »
Lovely photos. Again I am struck by how green the Lake District is - despite the lack of rain.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:22:40, 19/07/18 »
lol at the moaning  ;D
beefys bum again? Why? What have we done to deserve it?  :(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:51:11, 19/07/18 »
Looks like another good trip - I love that first picture of Castle Crag and King's How.  I think Castle Crag is so much better than its size suggests.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:07:28, 19/07/18 »
Again I am struck by how green the Lake District is - despite the lack of rain.

I think it is just the bracken that is really green, the grass is going brown now, we had a bit of rain a few days ago and there is more forecast for overnight and tomorrow thank goodness.

beefys bum again? Why? What have we done to deserve it?  :(

We now make sure we get a bum shot especially for you  :)

I think Castle Crag is so much better than its size suggests.

Indeed, size isn't everything  :)
Hate will never win

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:56:36, 19/07/18 »
Great photos april and a great wild camp spot
you have 1 life live it

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:30:20, 20/07/18 »