Author Topic: Manchester To Glasgow  (Read 1912 times)

ponsumkey

Manchester To Glasgow
« on: 17:40:45, 17/09/18 »
Hey there folks... I'm planning on walking from Manchester to Glasgow next summer during my leave. I was wondering whether anyone knew of any official trails or routes. I thought I may do the pennine way, and veer west towards Carlise. Are they're any routes from Carlisle to Glasgow? Or is there any routes going up the western coast? Emails are welcome. Simon :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Manchester To Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: 19:55:44, 17/09/18 »
That's a good idea to Carlisle, takes in Hadrians Wall as well. I did the same a few years ago. Sorry, no idea about whats after that that.

Jays

« Reply #2 on: 20:04:46, 17/09/18 »
The Annandale Way takes you from Annan to Moffat and then up the beef tub.
You can join it at Lockerbie, one day to Moffat, then couple of hours to the top of the beef tub.( this is on the A701)
The southern upland way can take you to Wanlockhead and onto Sanquhar.
It crosses Scotland so could connect with the Pennine way.
Maybe through West Yorkshire?
Kendal to Carlisle , the Millers Way ! The dales way to Kendal.
Interesting route, looking forward to the replies.
Is it like joining the dots?
John

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:55:00, 18/09/18 »

If you cut off the Southern Upland Way a bit sooner you could work out a route through the hills to New Lanark, then the Clyde Walkway would take you into Glasgow.
If you weren't set on going via Carlisle, the Scottish National Trail takes you from the end of the Pennine Way close to Glasgow, and you could follow the canal in, or follow the trail to Milngavie and then follow the Kelvin Walkway.

ron6632

« Reply #4 on: 11:29:05, 20/09/18 »
Have a look at the LDWA website. They have a searchable database for paths in the uk, and you can display results as a map. 

The routes up the west are limited, the best one has been mentioned with the Annandale Way, Clyde Walkway - there is quite a gap to fill in though.

An alternative may be Pennine Way, St Cuthberts Way, Borders Abbeys Way (via Hawick), then the Cross Border Drove Road to the Pentland Hills, Water of Lieth Walkway then picking up the John Muir Way.  Follow the F&C canal to Glasgow.

zuludog

« Reply #5 on: 19:59:00, 20/09/18 »
The Thirlmere Way goes from Heaton Park, Salford, to Thirlmere dam - there is a guidebook available for about £3 used from Amazon
After that it should be easy enough to find your way to Carlisle, possibly using some of the Cumbria Way

OR

Take the canal from Manchester city centre to Ashton - under - Lyne, ; then to Greenfield; then PW north to Kirk Yetholm. I think there is a linking path to the Southern Upland Way

'Hamish's Groats End Walk' by Hamish Brown might help - £0,01 used from Amazon. Or search LEJOG routes, they must cover similar ground

Get your maps out to fill in the missing bits, it's all part of the fun!

ponsumkey

« Reply #6 on: 06:43:35, 29/09/18 »
Thanks you very much

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:51:16, 29/09/18 »
I'm reading Scotland's National Trail, by Cameron McNeish right now. This goes from Kirk Yetholm to Cape Wrath via Melrose, Peebles, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Milngavie (just north of Glasgow) so it could be of interest, but it goes nowhere near Carlisle.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy