Author Topic: A touching story of a big sacrifice on Everest to save someone's life  (Read 2097 times)

April

• Veteran Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066pqjc

I wonder how many others would have done the same thing?

What a good man  O0
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
There's been a lot in the news recently about Everest and oxygen supplies failing. Ben Fogle was given an oxygen supply by a sherpa near the summit.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
I remember watching a programme last year, where a very well respected expedition company, simply cut corners and forgot to provide sufficient numbers of oxygen cylinders.
The cylinders for one expedition had for some reason, been accidentally left at a lower camp, poor communication between the expedition leader and sherpas was sited as the reason that several climbers died.
Also, two climbers intent on reaching the summit come what may, ignored distressed calls from base camp, to turn around, and with no oxygen available at the required altitude, both died on the mountain.

The logistical nightmares of ensuring the safety of every climber on the highest mountain in the world, especially when the weather closes in, as well as ensuring sufficient oxygen is available for all, no, i certainly do not envy the responsibility of organising such a trip.

The lure of the summit is so great, that some climbers, experienced and inexperienced, simply ignore the pleas to turn back to safety, when the summit is so near.

Running out of oxygen should never happen, leaving the bottles at a lower camp on the mountain, knowing full well they would be needed, totally unacceptable, What went wrong ?.

I forget the name of the programme, but calamity after calamity happened.

Bad organising by a well respected and successful company, as well as climbers who really should not have been on the expedition, a big clash of personalities.

When the person in command of the expedition wants you off the mountain, respect his wishes.

Yes, an attempt on the summit costs well over £40k, but the lure of the summit is simply too great.
« Last Edit: 15:04:25, 13/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

jontea

• Veteran Member
A very selfless act by a fine Yorkshire lad. Makes you proud to be British  :)

Yeah apparently two of Ben Fogle’s Oxygen cylinders exploded, needing a Sherpa to give him his supply.

I think these days there is a lot of commercial pressure on these adventure companies to deliver summiteers each year. It must be such a hard call to make at times to abandon an attempt for safety reasons, as they’re judged by results by high paying customers.
If they don’t deliver the numbers to the summit, amateur climbers will look at rival companies with their cash.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
I just came across this april and glad I did, what a marvellous story.

Full credit to Leslie and arguably a better finale to his summit bid - he saved somebody's life: What a privilege that must be, especially in such arduous conditions.

I have read many mountaineering books and plenty about Everest and since the big disaster of 1996 (and some beforehand of course) every year there are similar tales.

It's hard for us to judge as we don't know each set of circumstances and often numerous events build up to a final catastrophe. In some cases the effects of altitude and oxygen deprivation play a very clear role in effecting, otherwise rational, peoples' judgement. They won't listen to sense or to their own body - when everything is screaming out 'go down, turn back'.
Some are lucky and many are not so.
I have read of many base camps/ expedition leaders calling teams off the mountain and Sherpas pleading with the clients to turn back. But to those whose judgement is impaired and lured on by a summit, seemingly within grasp, who is going to tell them what to do if they've forked out £40k ?

There is no answer to that conundrum. But, a few good people (or even one) are all it takes to save another stricken climber.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy