Author Topic: Any new or creative ideas about layering?  (Read 1763 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Any new or creative ideas about layering?
« Reply #15 on: 19:13:22, 18/05/20 »
It was very sunny today, it was hot(ish) but there was a brisk cool west to the east wind today. I decided to try a short test of the items I've recently bought, a Columbia walking shirt, and a Brynge 'string vest' made from 100% polypropylene. I started off with just my shirt on, it was light and comfortable but I soon felt chilly so I put on my Brynge vest and then wore my shirt on top. I found that once I was properly dressed and my shirt buttons were done up I felt warmer. My Brynge vest has short sleeves, my shirt has long sleeves and as I walked on I found that my arms felt cool but my torso felt warm and comfortable. Tomorrow I'm going to wear my Brynge vest with my bamboo base layer on top when I go running. My bamboo top rapidly gets wet from perspiration, it will be interesting to find out if the Brynge vest helps to improve my situation or perhaps makes little or no difference at all?

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:00:06, 19/05/20 »
+1 for Pertex windproof
I have a 20-odd year old Montane one tgat lives in my rucksack all summer and gets quite a lot of use.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:00:20, 19/05/20 »
I ran this morning with my Brynge vest on and instead of using my bamboo base layer I used my synthetic baselayer, they seemed to work well together. I noticed it, particularly when I stopped and started to cool down. There was a very light breeze and I didn't get that 'cold' feeling as my sweat cooled. I'm going to have to use it a lot more I think to help me make a judgement as to whether I will buy another one.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:00:37, 21/05/20 »
I think my new Brynge 'string vest' will help me to save carry weight. Normally I carry 2 baselayers, one wearing, one on my rucksack washed and drying (and still heavy from its water content) but I now think I can get away with just one base layer. The Brynge is made from 100% polypropylene and when it's wet it dries in a couple of minutes. I've tried a 'dummy run' with it, I wore it on a run and when I go back home I just jumped under the shower with it on. I always use shampoo so just washed in the usual way, rubbed my hands up and down the vest to 'clean' it, then took its off, squeezed it, made sure it was properly rinsed, then got dressed, took it downstairs into the garden and it was ready to be used again within a few minutes. The fabric neck area and the bottom of the vest fabric area (1/2" wide) were still wet but that would dry very fast once it came in contact with my body heat.OK, not much of a weight-saving but one less item of clothing to worry about.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:04:27, 21/05/20 »
I use Brynge thermo kit for winter sports.  It's very good but I'd be overheating massively if I wore it any other time of year.  Worth persist with it though, for the same reason as you GWM, it keeps you very dry so if you're doing stop/start activity then you don't chill when you take a break, is pretty light and works well with a windproof.  As much as 'layering system' is about having options in your pack, who wants to be faffing around all day when you're outdoors?  Something which keeps you in the ideal range for most of the day and that's why I don't think my layering system is likely to change much.

For 3.5 season use: base layer (140 short sleeve merino or poly base layer in warmer months), mid layer (fleece in my pack) and outer (wearing a windproof, light waterproof in the pack)

I'd like to find a use for the fancy 'hybrid' garments coming out now with different insulations in different parts of the body but at a certain point I've lost interest in buying a whole new gear system when the gear cupboard is overflowing.  At that point I've learned it's a great time to use the available dosh to try out a new hobby/travel so you can collect a whole new type of stuff, even if I do fail now and again and end up picking a slightly different version of what I already have  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:05:18, 24/05/20 »
I have two merino baselayers and find that they make me really itch, mainly across my chest so they get very little use, in fact I wish I had never bought them. I only use them when I have no choice for running when all of my other tops have been used, are in the wash, or are still drying. When I know I'm going to use my 'itchy' I travel to my run start point wearing an old black pyjama top, it looks like a 'T' shirt and on arrival, I put the merino on. I can run for up to an hour (assuming the air is cool) before the itching really starts, across my torso and underarms mostly, and when I get to my end of the run point I quickly take it off and put the pyjama top on again to travel home in.

I'm really hopeful that I can now begin to wear my merinos regularly and get proper use out of them. For the last two days I've worn my Brynge 'string vest' and my merino baselayer over the top of it. I've then gone running, sweated a lot and surprise, surprise, no noticeable itching! I'm now hopeful that because the merino wool is not really touching my skin in the same way anymore, I will be able to get full and better use out of them. Will I ever take them on a multi-day hiking trip? I'm just not sure yet but if by running use, with the aid of my Brynge string vest and my itching problem really is solved then I might.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:29:58, 24/05/20 »
You're itchy - how do you think the sheep feels!?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy