Author Topic: Walking injuries  (Read 8688 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking injuries
« Reply #60 on: 18:00:09, 18/10/20 »
I had quite a bit of physio on mine (massage and the magic electric pulsing machine) when it first flared up in 2016 - it worked mostly, but there was one patch of inflammation I could not get rid of.  I still get some pain, but manage it with ice after every proper walk - 20 minutes ice, then a shower, and then another 20 minutes - seems to keep it under control.  Still niggles occasionally, but nothing major.
Thanks for the suggestion
Solvitur Ambulando

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 17:19:59, 23/10/20 »
As back to where I started with my injuries, (in fact worse as I have a few more!), wondered how the walking wounded are getting on?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 17:33:34, 23/10/20 »
I have started small trips out to see how it goes.  The first day I made just over 450m and it took 2 days to get over it despite immediate application of ice.  Next trip was yesterday, I lasted 2.5km but it took a while to get home followed by another hour with the gel pack.  Today I did 3km and it did not hurt quite as much.  The distressing thing is Mrs N, who was 69 miles behind me,  is using my incapacitation to catch me up.  >:(
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 17:53:53, 23/10/20 »
I had no major pain after my last walk, but have had some sciatica this week.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #64 on: 14:32:50, 28/10/20 »
I managed to stick to low-level walks recently on a lake district trip. I have been doing excercise via physio (telephone and email). I had no issue until my last day. I chose what was the flattest walk and my knee started again. I've took it pretty easy since June and its frustrating. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 17:42:37, 28/10/20 »
With 2 sticks I can dot and carry one for up to 3 miles now, provided it is flat, which is a bit of an ask in Devon.  Yesterday hurt quite a bit but ice and Vitamin I gel got it - note to self, be careful which leg to lead with up a kerb.  I had to go round the neighbours just now and it was raining - my speed hobble is a thing of beauty.
Mrs N is still exploiting my weakness  >:( in an attempt to match my mileage but she is still 47 miles behind me.  O0 
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 20:31:17, 02/11/20 »
I had just worked up to a daily 3.5 mile hobble at a breath-taking 2.5 mph.  Trying to repeat my triumph today I was about half a mile in when a car came flying round a corner and I had to take violent evasive action.  In my haste I used the wrong leg and had to limp home and get some ice on it quickly.  Normally on that corner I can hear a car coming but in this case its approach was masked by the two cars going the other way and a fairly blustery wind.  Roll on lockdown!

Oddly the ice worked and 4 hours later I got round the loop in record time so perhaps he did me a favour but it sure didn't feel like it at the time!  Mrs N now only 39 miles behind.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #67 on: 23:44:57, 10/11/20 »
I'm wondering if anyone on here has suffered with patello femoral pain. With only telephone appointments its frustrating.  It still is not better and I've had it since June. Anyone have a miracle cure aside cutting my own leg off  ::) . I've been doing exercises and still walking mainly on the flat.  Its frustrating. I was told not to strap knee up but I'm limited with walks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 10:56:59, 11/11/20 »
I've had two bouts of chronic leg pains over the past few years, the only thing that actually worked for me was rest, leg up on the arm of our settee, rest etc, and a cold Birds Eye pea bag at intervals during the day.  I did visit my GP as well, he referred me to physio, who gave me a large elastic band and an A4 sheet of exercises but I couldn't establish if they helped me at all? I also, because there came a time when I felt a bit desperate, I went to a chiropractor, that didn't seem to work either, so after £100 I gave up on him. I tried YouTube as well, the exercises were useful but seemed to only confirm the pain I was in, I gave up on them as well. Resting took ages and at times I was bored out of my mind but at least it worked in the end, one morning I woke up and I was cured, it happened just like that!

Toxicbunny

« Reply #69 on: 11:06:02, 11/11/20 »
I got the elastic bands and sheets of exercise. I was told not to rest but keep moving. The NHS are doing telephone diagnosis. I'm just thinking after 5 month it should be getting better. They told me not to use a knee support however with a telephone diagnosis I'm wondering if they got the diagnosis correct.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 11:09:40, 11/11/20 »
Search the internet, I did so and knew what I had before I visited my GP.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 17:57:43, 11/11/20 »
I suffered from very severe frontal knee pain mainly in my teens and 20s. It was diagnosed as a type of auto immune response similar to arthritis. This caused me trouble sitting with bent knees for more than 30 minutes and when walking downhill. It did improve significantly, but I still have some effects. I modified the way I descend hills and try not to travel too far sitting in cramped conditions - although nowadays my back starts complaining first. I have found heat helps more than cold in relieving pain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 22:54:06, 22/12/20 »
I managed my first walk in over 3 weeks today and managed 4.25 miles. My back was sore afterwards and I needed to raise my feet to take my boots off, as I couldn’t bend down to do it. My previous walk was only 1.6 miles and it was over 2 months ago that I managed this distance. I used to think that 20 miles was a morning’s walk, but it will be a while before I get back to that. If there are no bad reactions, I will hopefully get a few more walks in over the holiday period - all local, of course.

I was pleased that I could still keep up a reasonable pace after all this time and as an overweight middle aged man, but my legs and back were aching a bit later in the day.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 23:02:26, 22/12/20 »
Good to see you're back out there - hope there's no adverse reaction and you can enjoy some Christmas wanders.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 03:30:51, 23/12/20 »
Happy, Bigfoot_Mike is back walking... not so good news here, but it's not the time of year for any more bad news!
Hope your Christmas is as happy as can be!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy