Author Topic: Walking injuries  (Read 8681 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking injuries
« Reply #30 on: 18:06:33, 10/09/20 »
I too get a lot of leg pain and other problems due to back issues - at least 2 discs are involved. I have been given exercise by several different physios, which can give some relief by strengthening the core. However, I would recommend building up slowly. I did further damage performing some of the exercises and was in so much pain my wife asked if I needed an ambulance.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:36:09, 10/09/20 »
I have a Lightwave rucksack and after a couple of days of hiking, I often get a nagging ache up the right-hand side of my back. I also have an Osprey Exos 48L one as well, no problems at all, I've never worked out what makes the difference?

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:17:07, 10/09/20 »
Thats good that you have been given a cause and some treatment to help. Did they say how long to do the exercises for?
Unfortunately it will be at least a further three months before I'll show signs of improvement, just got to take it steady and be sensible, not one of my strong points!

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:20:27, 10/09/20 »
I too get a lot of leg pain and other problems due to back issues - at least 2 discs are involved. I have been given exercise by several different physios, which can give some relief by strengthening the core. However, I would recommend building up slowly. I did further damage performing some of the exercises and was in so much pain my wife asked if I needed an ambulance.
Yeah my back pain, the reason for starting walking adventures to strengthen core, has become more noticeable the less walking I've been able to do. But feeling a bit more positive after today, just see how it goes I guess.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 22:31:32, 10/09/20 »
I find walking generally helps with my back pain, but not always. I can sometimes be quite bent over at the start of a walk, but this can ease as I get moving. Some days, though, walking is not an option and I would struggle to walk more than a few metres due to the pain and inability to fully control my right leg. Recently, it hasn’t been too good, but I am hoping to soon be able to start again trying to regain my walking fitness. I have found that I need to build up slowly, as protecting my back can stress other joints and cause different injuries. Walking poles are helpful in maintains a better posture in my case.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:48:34, 10/09/20 »
I find walking generally helps with my back pain, but not always. I can sometimes be quite bent over at the start of a walk, but this can ease as I get moving. Some days, though, walking is not an option and I would struggle to walk more than a few metres due to the pain and inability to fully control my right leg. Recently, it hasn’t been too good, but I am hoping to soon be able to start again trying to regain my walking fitness. I have found that I need to build up slowly, as protecting my back can stress other joints and cause different injuries. Walking poles are helpful in maintains a better posture in my case.
Sorry to hear of your problems Mike, has anything been mentioned to you about being a Bigfoot causing back issues? I am a size 12 -14, just wondering.
Yeah I can relate to this, drove up to Garrigill (about 1 1/2 hours) with bad back, got there and couldn't even bend down to change into walking boots. Felt much better after walking up to source of the Tyne.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:17:56, 10/09/20 »
Sorry to hear of your problems Mike, has anything been mentioned to you about being a Bigfoot causing back issues? I am a size 12 -14, just wondering.
Yeah I can relate to this, drove up to Garrigill (about 1 1/2 hours) with bad back, got there and couldn't even bend down to change into walking boots. Felt much better after walking up to source of the Tyne.
I believe my back and later Achilles’ tendon injuries may be down to badly sparing my right ankle a couple of times before I was a teenager. My right foot points out at about 20 degrees and easily rolls over. It is the right side of back back that gives me most pain. Several years as a tight head prop at school, followed by years of circuit / weight training probably didn’t help (and the fact that I attack all sports at full pelt). Eventually, I suffered a slipped disc in my late twenties, which has made its presence known repeatedly over the years and has recruited other parts of my back and neck to the cause. I do wear size 11 - 13 in a wide to very wide fitting. I have a friend from university who is 6’7” tall and size 15 shoes. He had several of his vertebrae fused in an operation to ease his back pain.

I enjoy mountain walking and particularly like narrow ridges. I wouldn’t trust myself up there at present, as my right leg doesn’t always go exactly where I intend it to. I am not giving up though and will be back in the hills again.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:51:55, 11/09/20 »

I enjoy mountain walking and particularly like narrow ridges. I wouldn’t trust myself up there at present, as my right leg doesn’t always go exactly where I intend it to. I am not giving up though and will be back in the hills again.

You will Mike for sure.  O0

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:14:44, 11/09/20 »

You will Mike for sure.  O0
O0

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 21:31:34, 11/09/20 »
After longer than intended Hamstring Stretching walk cannot now do exercises due to back pain.
Shattered off to bed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:19:51, 18/09/20 »
I read this today, might be of interest?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/sep/17/shoes-with-toe-spring-may-increase-risk-of-injury-study-finds
Had a read, another theory!
Been having a difficult time, pain so bad prescribed three different painkillers, Physio rang, apologised as exercises had caused this, now have different exercises to do (which are slowly offering improvement), then had bad reaction to painkillers so had to stop taking them! Cannot sit down without serious pain so decided to have a wee walk which wasn't too bad to start with, but went downhill, especially after finding a hidden pothole in the grass! Haven't fully recovered from bad reaction yet, so having miserable time (now standing up to finish this!)
« Last Edit: 21:39:09, 18/09/20 by Dodgylegs »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:31:21, 18/09/20 »
I sympathise Dodgylegs. Severe back pain is no fun at all, as I know from experience.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:12:35, 26/09/20 »
I had my first walk today walk for many weeks. It was only 4.4 miles and I went with my wife to make sure I kept my pace down. I now have some back pain and sciatica, but not too bad yet. Hopefully, I will be able to go again in a few days.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:57:58, 26/09/20 »
Good to hear Mike, hope your body keeps improving.

After about ten days I've progressed to being able to get me socks on!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy