Author Topic: Dog gone  (Read 999 times)

Hazzer

Dog gone
« on: 16:19:22, 16/08/12 »
Those who walk with dogs should note that access land on grouse moors on the North York Moors is covered by five-year dog exclusion orders - even if the dogs are on a lead.
This doesn't, of course, apply to public rights of way, but even then, there are problems.
In many areas, shooting tracks driven over the moors to facilitate access to grouse butts have proved so popular with walkers that the public footpaths and bridleways have been ignored, and are choked with heather.
The shooting tracks are not public rights of way, and are usable only because they are on access land, so gamekeepers can and do order people with dogs to return to the nearest right of way, which can cause considerable inconvenience.  I witnessed this happen to a party near Goathland a few weeks ago.
I should also mention that much of the customary route of the Lyke Wake Walk is not on public rights of way.
If in any doubt, the position with specific areas of moorland can be checked on the Natural England maps of access land, and any dog exclusion orders are listed beneath the map.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.

BorderCollie

Re: Dog gone
« Reply #1 on: 00:02:22, 09/09/12 »
Scary, I am worried to death about getting lost and in trouble with farmers already.  :(

iiswoz

• Veteran Member
Re: Dog gone
« Reply #2 on: 16:44:51, 09/09/12 »
Hehe, my springer has brought dinner home a few times when we've been out on Grouse moors. O0
Honi soit qui mal y pense

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy