Author Topic: Tarptent in the UK  (Read 5097 times)

Litehiker

Tarptent in the UK
« on: 20:20:47, 08/04/19 »
As a Tarptent fanboy (I've owned 4 of them) I have noticed a fair amount of TT owners in the UK. With the import tariffs being so high I'm wondering why this is.

And now Henry Shires has come out with a bevy of new Dyneema tents after resisting the  trend for years. His latest is the AEON, a solo 'mid that solves most of the 'mid problems very cleverly. Should I go to a TT Dyneema tent I think I'd opt for the Notch Li with 2 doors/vestibules.

I like Tarptent for their great designs, made in USA quality and great customer service. Tough to get all 3 in one company these days. I suppose you Brits feel the same about made in UK tents.

Eric B.

hongkongphooey

Re: Tarptent in the UK
« Reply #1 on: 03:06:33, 09/04/19 »
Have you considered an DIY effort?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:42:01, 09/04/19 »

By a strange coincidence, I've just mentioned the Tarptent Scarp on another thread!

There are similar small companies in Britain - TrekkerTent for example - http://www.trekkertent.com/home/
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:47:26, 09/04/19 »
Should I go to a TT Dyneema tent I think I'd opt for the Notch Li with 2 doors/vestibules.

Looks like a decent ultra lightweight twin walled tent.

Only 4 pegs supplied though! Think that I would want a few more here in Orkney!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:02:29, 09/04/19 »
I always fancied a Tarptent Rainbow, but what always got in the way was knowing that I could buy nearly 3 Chinese 'Tarptents' tents for the price of one USA tent. Unfortunately, for me, in money terms, it was no contest! The Chinese model (Targa 1) in my view also has one particular design advantage over the Tarptent, which is the inner half circle door which can be unzipped to store items outside of the actual sleeping area. My Marmot tent has a similar zipped area, which I use all the time, I can keep my walking sticks out of the way but I can also grab them instantly if needed. All of my other stuff which I may need, Uriwell, small bottle of water, etc, can be near to hand and I don't have rummage through my rucksack in the middle of the night to find them.

In the end I became so bamboozled by all that I was reading and I was comparing and contrasting with other makes as well, I decided to buy none at all and just decided to stick with the tents I already have.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:49:08, 09/04/19 »

Looks like a decent ultra lightweight twin walled tent.

Only 4 pegs supplied though! Think that I would want a few more here in Orkney!

I have the standard slinylon version, with just the four supplied pegs, one at each end and one on each door, it sags when you open the tent. I've added two guys, there's a linelock already sewn in at each apex, this makes it a good tight pitch.

http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-new-tent.html  

I took it to Sarek in Lapland for two weeks, http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.com/2016/09/sarek-europes-last-wilderness_21.html   on a couple of nights it proved to be just a bit too light. Heavy wet snow partially collapsed it one night and rain came in on another. I've since re-doped the seems and that has hopefully cured the leaking. I also used it on the final leg of my Cape Wrath trail walk   http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-far-north-west.html   again just a bit too light for highland storms lucky I was near a bothy. It is a very good ultra light tent and i wouldn't hesitate to use it for more sheltered camping. But for camping high in the mountains the trekkertent wins every time.        

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:17:27, 09/04/19 »
Thanks again, Owen - not for me I suspect.

I'm going to drop TrekkerTent a line and ask for details of their updated Saor.

Edit - and some gorgeous photos on your blog!
« Last Edit: 11:20:54, 09/04/19 by richardh1905 »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:49:58, 10/04/19 »
By a strange coincidence, I've just mentioned the Tarptent Scarp on another thread!

There are similar small companies in Britain - TrekkerTent for example - http://www.trekkertent.com/home/
Karl has a scarp2  O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:07:57, 10/04/19 »
Don't see too many of these in the Highlands. Apart from,as mentioned on here the problems with wind gusts, the biting insect season would definitely be a big problem when using a tarp.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:40:14, 11/04/19 »
Karl has a scarp 2  O0

I have and I'm very pleased with it. It's a palace for one ,plenty of room for two and even with me and two of my teenage children there was still room for gear inside. It stood up to a real battering when camped at 700 M on the side of Scafell Pike, the corner strut arrangement is a brilliant idea and works a treat.
I was lucky that I have a friend who works in America and he brought it home for me when he returned home for Christmas so I didn't pay any extra charges. He did claim that he couldn't fit his children's Christmas gifts in his luggage cos of my tent but hey ho I got my tent so it's all good :D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:42:00, 11/04/19 »
I was lucky that I have a friend who works in America and he brought it home for me when he returned home for Christmas so I didn't pay any extra charges.

He risked being stopped by Customs!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:54:55, 11/04/19 »
He risked being stopped by Customs!

In theory, yes, but in practice highly unlikely.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy