Author Topic: Solo wild camp on Rosthwaite Fell Thu 12 to Fri 13 Jul 18  (Read 2770 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1
I did a solo overnighter last Thursday, I had a few days off last week to watch a bit of tennis and do a walk or wild camp. I went camping with an old friend if you get my Drift  ;)

The forecast wasn't great and rain was forecast for after 3pm. I was late setting off and didn't get to Seatoller until 12.50. I had over 2 hours to get up onto Bessyboot and then find somewhere to pitch before it rained. I took the footpath behind the Glaramara Centre to Mountain View then the footpath to the slopes of Rosthwaite Fell above Combe Gill.

Rosthwaite Fell

Looking back to Mountain View with Lowbank Crags and Seatoller Fell in view

Lowbank Crags and Seatoller Fell are on the north east ridge of Grey Knotts. I didn't know it on Thursday but Beefy and I would be on there on Saturday  :)

Old Mill Cottage with Base Brown Brandreth and Grey Knotts in view

I went at a quick pace, there had been a few spots of rain at Seatoller and I wanted to get the tent up before I got too wet. Although it was cloudy it was very warm.

Skiddaw above Castle Crag and Kings How

Dry Gill was totally dry at the bottom but there was water flowing where it narrowed higher up. I was hoping to get water from Big Stanger Gill for my camp.

A peep of Honister Crag as I got higher up

The spits and spots of rain at Seatoller remained at Seatoller, no rain here.

On Bessyboot top

It had only taken 1 hour and 25 minutes, not bad I thought with the heat and I was carrying 10.4kg. Without wine or my chair it would have been about 8.9kg (this included food, 2 lunches, tea and breakfast), a bit lighter weight at the moment, it is so warm I'm not carrying as much gear for warmth. I also had The Drift with me. 1.4kg and not the heavier MSR Elixir. I tried to send a text to Beefy to let him know I was on Bessyboot, no signal!

Tarn at Leaves and Rosthwaite Cam from Bessyboot

I knew there was water there but I prefer running water. I still had about 40 minutes before the rain was forecast so I dropped down off the summit to Big Stanger Gill. I had to descend a little to find a decent flow, got some water then re-ascended over toward High Knott and High Buck How.

The Drift near High Buck How

I found a pitch, a bit lumpy but rain was threatening so I got the tent up quick. It was 3pm. A bit early but I had seen nobody at all since I'd left Seatoller and I was well off the beaten track where I'd pitched. The Drift is looking worn and tired in comparison to the MSR. The door in shot here has a knackered zip and it is tied up with boot laces  ;D

Base Brown, Gables and Grey Knott

I got the water on to filter and managed to send the text about being on Bessyboot to Beefy. Then the signal disappeared. It started raining so I got in the tent and worried I wouldn't be able to let Beefy know I was pitched and ok. The rain didn't last more than ten minutes and then I managed to get a signal after a few minutes descent on the Seatoller side of the fell and was able to send Beefy another text  O0 Relieved I sat outside, got the kettle on and had a brew.

The Drift

I love this tent but I think it might not get used again, it got well used for a couple of years so we got our moneys worth.

Honister, Fleetwith Pike and the High Stile ridge behind

The weather wasn't as bad as forecast, a bit breezy but I sat out for a few hours, had my tea and only got inside the tent when the wind changed direction. I poured some wine of course.

Skiddaw view above Borrowdale

Eagle Crag as it got brighter

The Drift above Borrowdale

Bessy Boot from near where I pitched the Drift

The sun going down over Hindscarth

I had thought it would go down a bit nearer Grisedale Pike so I nearly missed it, it took me by surprise, it was earlier than I'd thought too, it had gone down behind Hindscarth by 9.21pm

The sun disappears

Dramatic clouds

The last sunset shot looking over to Fleetwith Pike

I finished my wine and went to sleep, I'd enjoyed the camp, If I'd only known the rain wasn't going to be very much I would have done a longer walk. Never mind. Day 1 was Seatoller - Mountain View - Dry Gill - Bessyboot - Big Stanger Gill - High Buck How 4.8km with 491m ascent. 2 hours 10 walking time.

Day 2
I got up early on Friday I wanted to be back home in time for the tennis. I'd slept well and there hadn't been any rain. The weather was a bit gloomy, low cloud and claggy. I got packed away and left just after 7.35.

My pitch was on the other side of the middle rocky knoll in view

Instead of re-ascending to the foot of Bessyboot and the easier way down to Combe Gill, I took a shortcut and ended up at the top of a steep gully. It was very steep but manageable, I took my time being careful on the way down. It took longer probably than if I'd gone the other way!

The steep route I took down a gully

Looking back at the steep gully

Short cuts like this are now on the Banned List  ;)

Rosthwaite Cam and Combe Head from the descent

Back on the usual route down. The steep gully made the rest of the descent seem easy!

The view across High Doat and Castle Crag

I saw the first person since I'd left Seatoller the day before, a fell runner who looked surprised to see me. It was a bit early, about 8.30 I think, perhaps he runs there a lot  and never sees anyone at that time. I got to Seatoller for my bus and got to Keswick just before Beefy who had arrived on the X5. We had a coffee then he went off to walk along Derwent Water somewhere and I dashed home in time for the mens semi finals. Day 2 was High Buck How - High Knott - Dry Gill - Mountian View - Seatoller. 4km with 74m ascent and took 1 hour 31 minutes. A good camp out but it isn't quite the same without Beefy's brand of entertainment   :)
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Looked a nice trip April and lovely photos, well done  O0

Which took the most stamina, the walk or watching the men's semi-finals?  ;D

Regards Keith

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great tr and pics Ape O0
I'm pleased you got a nice sunset
I see you pitched the tent really early so you could guzzle down all that that wine ya bogger ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
Which took the most stamina, the walk or watching the men's semi-finals?  ;D

;D The tennis  :) There were some great matches, Federer v Anderson, Nadal v Del Potro, Anderson v Isner and Nadal v Djokivic. I missed the end of their semi final when it finished on Saturday  :(

I see you pitched the tent really early so you could guzzle down all that that wine ya bogger ;D

;D It was very nice  :)
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
You're a braver lady than me going wold camping on your own April!  Glad it went well and you enjoyed yourself.

Great pics & report too! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Great photos April and what a glorious sunset    :)

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks sunnydale and Dovegirl  O0
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Nice pics April.  :)   We were up in the Lakes last week staying in Rosthwaite. Thursday we walked up via Dock Tarn to Watendlath and passed a tent just before Dock Tarn. It did cross my mind that it might be you and Beefy so I wasn’t far out! Back in Rosthwaite early afternoon and still no sign of rain we carried on up to Castle Crag, crossing a very dry River Derwent. It rained for about 5 minutes, 5 minutes before we arrived back at the cottage  >:(

April

• Veteran Member
It rained for about 5 minutes, 5 minutes before we arrived back at the cottage  >:(

Typical!

Thanks Rural Roamer, I hope you got some nicer days too  O0
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
Great Stuff A O0  Sunsets are always better with a bit of cloud
You won't be surprised to learn that I always come down that gully on the descent form Bessyboot ;D

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Solo wild camp on Rosthwaite Fell Thu 12 to Fri 13 Jul 18
« Reply #10 on: 22:58:44, 17/07/18 »
Thanks Rural Roamer, I hope you got some nicer days too  O0
Yes the rest of the week was great! It was just that 5 minutes! Headed home Friday. Also did Haystacks, Walla Crag and our first time up Scafell Pike.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:59:40, 17/07/18 »
Lovely photos April, you were lucky with the weather.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:31:38, 18/07/18 »
You won't be surprised to learn that I always come down that gully on the descent form Bessyboot ;D

Aye, it had "Karl route" on a signpost at the top  :)

Yes the rest of the week was great!

I am pleased you had some good weather  :)

you were lucky with the weather.  O0

I was lucky but the weather wasn't as bad as forecasted. Probably just as well, the broken zip on one of the doors of the Drift might have let in a bit of water  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:05:51, 18/07/18 »
Looks like a great way to spend a week night - lovely pictures - I love Bessyboot for some reason.

Paul

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:56:44, 19/07/18 »

Good write up and photos April.

I like being on my own when I'm going to really wild places. In some ways this is for selfish reasons - I get to make all the decisions about the route, how fast I go, when to rest and when to push on, and where to pitch, without having to worry about others. Also, I genuinely like the absolute solitude that you get from a solo wild camp in a remote spot.

That's not to say that I do not like the company of others on a wild camp; in the past I've had some wonderful shared wild camps in the Highlands and the Pyrenees, but it is a different experience.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy