Author Topic: What adventures are actually left?  (Read 2425 times)

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
What adventures are actually left?
« on: 21:26:38, 18/09/12 »
What adventures are actually left?By Tom de Castella & Tom HeydenBBC News Magazine Explorers on skis in Antarctica Continue  reading the main story The British explorer Sir Ranulph  Fiennes's latest adventure is to lead the first winter crossing of Antarctica.  But are there many meaningful challenges left for intrepid explorers?
Sir Ranulph Fiennes has already earned plaudits for crossing Antarctica  unaided, discovering the Lost City of Ubar and taking a hovercraft up the  Nile.
But genuine firsts in exploration are getting hard to find. The world's  greatest peaks have all been climbed.
The earth has been circumnavigated many times by plane, foot, bicycle and  balloon, among other means of conveyance. Many of the major rivers, lakes and  seas have been swum or canoed.
There are few genuine unknowns. Satellite navigation technology allows  mankind to see almost every river, copse and hill.
Machines can do the lifting and keep adventurers connected. Fiennes will be followed by two  bulldozers dragging industrial sledges carrying supplies and living  quarters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19621341

roughyed

• Veteran Member
Re: What adventures are actually left?
« Reply #1 on: 00:00:11, 19/09/12 »
I like the fact he is walking being followed by 2 bulldozers turned into campervans.  Still it gets down to -90 which is a bit nippy.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:50:02, 19/09/12 »
I like the fact he is walking being followed by 2 bulldozers turned into campervans.  Still it gets down to -90 which is a bit nippy.

Yes it does seem a bit like cheating.  Pretty sure I wouldn't want to be there in those conditions, but I wouldnt fancy it in their summer either  :o

Rob.

youradvocate

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:47:19, 19/09/12 »
As an individual, anything you havn't done yet.

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:43:43, 20/09/12 »

yes, that's what I thought too.

SunnySpeyside

« Reply #5 on: 07:52:51, 21/09/12 »
Absolutely agree. Besides being followed by two great bulldozers kind of takes the fun out of adventure.
I prefer to take on my hills unaided :)
'Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away'
Emerson

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:45:45, 21/09/12 »
Incredible for a 68 year old man to be planning on crossing the Antartica during the winter where it goes down to -90 with ferocious winds, bulldozers or not. We're all on our individual adventures through life  :)
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:29:57, 24/09/12 »
Plenty of mega adventures left for our kids and grand kids.

Large chunks of ocean floor. All the solar system apart from earth... and to "infinity and beyond" (sorry... that's totally imprinted on grey matter, since a particular film seems to be on endless loop when I visit one of my mates. He tells me its for benefit of his grandkid.... but I have my doubts.)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy