Author Topic: Knee friendly boots  (Read 659 times)

Rivingtonboots

Knee friendly boots
« on: 13:55:47, 11/09/20 »
Anybody recommended any boots that are easy on the knees.
One knee is bone on bone but the other one hasn't been so bad since I took early retirement.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated on how to alleviate the pain going down hill.
Walking poles are out of the question because I have my dog on all the walks.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Knee friendly boots
« Reply #1 on: 14:31:50, 11/09/20 »
Not the answer that you are looking for but I wonder if even one walking pole would help. I've seen runners with their dogs attached to them which would allow you to use 2 poles depending on the temperament of your dog.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:26:33, 11/09/20 »
Shoes with soft midsoles can help somewhat but they may cause other problems. The thing that really helps are hiking poles. Before I used them I got sour knees when doing long descends. Since I hike with poles this is rarely a problem anymore. I'm sure you can find a solution that is compatible with a dog.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:50:24, 11/09/20 »
I've often seen people in shorts, both hiking and running, with their knees strapped up with an elasticated Boots knee protector, do these type of things help?

I thankfully don't experience such problem but I do find that my Sorbothanes and a thin gel insert on top can lessen the shocks through the soles of my boots, usually good for me when I'm going downhill.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:00:37, 11/09/20 »
Anybody recommended any boots that are easy on the knees.
One knee is bone on bone but the other one hasn't been so bad since I took early retirement.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated on how to alleviate the pain going down hill.
Walking poles are out of the question because I have my dog on all the walks.

I use walking poles and have a springer spaniel - I attach her to a thick quick release waist belt using old karabiners, an old climbing sling, and (crucially) a loop of 10mm solid core bungee - otherwise she would snap my spine! Works really well with either single or double walking poles. Might not be advisable with a larger dog, of course - what dog do you have?

I can PM more details of the arrangement if you wish.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:02:19, 11/09/20 »
I've often seen people in shorts, both hiking and running, with their knees strapped up with an elasticated Boots knee protector, do these type of things help?

I thankfully don't experience such problem but I do find that my Sorbothanes and a thin gel insert on top can lessen the shocks through the soles of my boots, usually good for me when I'm going downhill.

I had knee trouble this summer - strapping up the knee with a support bandage does help - mine is a neoprene and velcro affair purchased from a sports shop (in Shetland, of all places).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:08:17, 11/09/20 »
Following knee damage sustained during a very long alpine descent, I bought a pair of neoprene knee braces.  I used them during my recovery and they certainly helped on downhills.  I reinjured one knee again at the start of this year, just going upstairs, and for a while I had to resort to the brace again and after each walk I strapped a frozen gel pack to the knee.  Although I no longer use the braces routinely, I still carry them and if a knee starts to twinge, I strap a brace on.  I still use the gel pack too if I end up with a sore knee after a walk.  The braces hold everything in place and keep the swelling down and the gel pack stops the swelling after I stop walking.
They may not suit your problem but they certainly worked for me.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #7 on: 16:13:21, 11/09/20 »
Following knee damage sustained during a very long alpine descent, I bought a pair of neoprene knee braces.  I used them during my recovery and they certainly helped on downhills.  I reinjured one knee again at the start of this year, just going upstairs, and for a while I had to resort to the brace again and after each walk I strapped a frozen gel pack to the knee.  Although I no longer use the braces routinely, I still carry them and if a knee starts to twinge, I strap a brace on.  I still use the gel pack too if I end up with a sore knee after a walk.  The braces hold everything in place and keep the swelling down and the gel pack stops the swelling after I stop walking.
They may not suit your problem but they certainly worked for me.
I take gel packs wherever we go on holiday or for weekend breaks.You're right they're invaluable.
The knee that's bone on bone had been behaving itself since finishing work uptil coming down those steps at Pendle.
That was a lesson learned  ;D
I may give the brace another go to.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:17:55, 11/09/20 »
I take gel packs wherever we go on holiday or for weekend breaks.You're right they're invaluable.
The knee that's bone on bone had been behaving itself since finishing work uptil coming down those steps at Pendle.
That was a lesson learned  ;D
I may give the brace another go to.
I keep my gel pack in the deep freeze, it lasts a fair while when I put it on and gives me an excuse to sit down with my feet for a while drinking a cold beer.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #9 on: 16:27:09, 11/09/20 »
I keep my gel pack in the deep freeze, it lasts a fair while when I put it on and gives me an excuse to sit down with my feet for a while drinking a cold beer.
Hahaha nowt wrong with that  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy