Author Topic: Ditch the stove!  (Read 2419 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Ditch the stove!
« on: 08:01:14, 06/07/19 »
After consuming disgusting rehydrated slop during last year's wild camp in the Cairngorms, I decided to ditch the stove and cookwear altogether last weekend when I camped high on Braeriach - I didn't miss it at all.

My main meal consisted of:

4 Orkney Oatcakes (100g, 450 kcal) - I took a 200g packet of 8.
1 'Alpengut' smoked venison and pork sausage from Lidl (75g, 350kcal) - I took a pack of two.
1 Austrian style processed smoked cheese from Tesco's (125g, 350kcal) - one of those long thin cylindrical ones

Total - 1150kcal, and I really enjoyed nibbling at them whilst taking in the austere beauty of Loch Coire an Lochan.
Bonus - no washing up!

For nibbles on the walk I took a 200g pack of Lidl mixed fruit and nuts (1000kcal) - I maybe ate my way through a quarter of the packet, and for breakfast I took 2 Stoat porridge bars (50g, 221kcal each); I only ate one, on my way down.

As for a hot drink in the morning, I don't feel the need for one in the summer - a sip of water from the loch is all that I need. Might be a different matter if I am sitting out bad weather in winter, of course!

Has anyone else made the decision to ditch the stove?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Ditch the stove!
« Reply #1 on: 09:30:07, 06/07/19 »
For me, I bought a stove when I first became a real hiker, but from day one its never been used, sitting in my garage gathering dust. I just never took it with me. I just buy nuts, choccy bars, cheese, etc to keep me gpoing and make I make do until I can buy a proper meal in a pub or restaurant usually at the end of each day. My present food 'like' is tortillas/wraps, eaten straight from the pack, filled with anything to hand.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:16:48, 06/07/19 »
It is psychologically good to sit down at the end of the day and eat hot food when your body is tired and you're a little less warm than you'd like to be.

Have you tried Summit To Eat meals, Richard? I feel they reconstitute a little bit more like real food than the usual 'mush'. Try their chicken tikka with rice, it's the best in my opinion.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:33:38, 06/07/19 »
I have tried this approach in the past, mainly when biving out in the Alps. It's fine for a night or two but beyond that I really need my tea.

On longer backpacking trips I'm afraid freeze dry meals are the only answer. I find the better meals are the more expensive Bewell/Expedition foods (which is the same company). Not tried summat to eat, I did try some Firepot one last time but wasn't impressed.

Should say I don't do low level stay in village type trips so eating in cafes or resupplying each day isn't often an option.

andyapanel

« Reply #4 on: 11:10:36, 06/07/19 »
I bought a woodburner. It is light (Titanium) and you only need to gather fuel shortly before you brew up.
The downside is you are ****ed if it rains, it needs constant attendance and you rapidly smell like a bonfire. I have used it in Northern France and Offa's Dyke LDP
On the whole it is good as it eliminates hexamine tablets.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:42:25, 06/07/19 »
For me, I bought a stove when I first became a real hiker, but from day one its never been used, sitting in my garage gathering dust. I just never took it with me. I just buy nuts, choccy bars, cheese, etc to keep me gpoing and make I make do until I can buy a proper meal in a pub or restaurant usually at the end of each day. My present food 'like' is tortillas/wraps, eaten straight from the pack, filled with anything to hand.

No pubs available 1000m up in the Cairngorms, I'm afraid, gwm!

..but I'm all for having a steak pie washed down with a pint or two if the opportunity arises  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:49:05, 06/07/19 »
It is psychologically good to sit down at the end of the day and eat hot food when your body is tired and you're a little less warm than you'd like to be.

Really doesn't bother me, fernman. In fact at the end of a hard walk the last thing that I want to start doing is faff around with a stove.

Might be a different matter in winter, of course. I would take a stove then.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:51:03, 06/07/19 »
I bought a woodburner. It is light (Titanium) and you only need to gather fuel shortly before you brew up.
The downside is you are ****ed if it rains, it needs constant attendance and you rapidly smell like a bonfire. I have used it in Northern France and Offa's Dyke LDP
On the whole it is good as it eliminates hexamine tablets.

I've thought of this approach, in fact I made a small 'hobo' stove that works well on sticks and pinecones etc, but no fuel at all where I was, and there is a fire risk in some areas at certain times of the year.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:03:25, 06/07/19 »
there is a fire risk in some areas at certain times of the year.

Indeed there is. In abnormally hot and dry conditions in north Wales last May a big grass tussock next to my stove quickly caught fire, soon put out by stamping on it in my walking boots.

But a kilometre-long stretch of the area I was in had not too long ago been burned by a fire. Heather and gorse were blackened stalks though short grasses below them were still green (suggesting the ground had been wet at the time). It was clear that the fire had spread in wind, and it was obvious when I reached the car park at Llynnau Cregennen that this was where it had started.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:42:48, 06/07/19 »

I've thought of this approach, in fact I made a small 'hobo' stove that works well on sticks and pinecones etc, but no fuel at all where I was, and there is a fire risk in some areas at certain times of the year.

A 'pocketful' (small poly-bag) of those cat-litter wooden pellets is more than enough to make a couple of brews.

30 litre bag for £5.99 (last a lifetime) or 1 litre £1.29

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/cat-wood-litter-30l-336969

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:08:50, 06/07/19 »
Thanks for that in information Richard, now I know, you wouldn't catch me in the Cairngorms!  :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:55:44, 06/07/19 »

A 'pocketful' (small poly-bag) of those cat-litter wooden pellets is more than enough to make a couple of brews.

Phew, it must smell a bit after the cat has used them  :D

I'll get my coat......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:15:27, 06/07/19 »
Phew, it must smell a bit after the cat has used them  :D

I'll get my coat......

But we need to make things multi-functional :

1) It was a tree, absorbed Carbon dioxide and excreted oxygen
2) It was chopped down to produce paper and the dust compressed into cat-pellets
3) The cat used as intended helping to keep our houses clean
4) Goes up in smoke and helps to keep you alive with warm food and drink.

What's not to like ?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 07:37:20, 07/07/19 »
A cat litter stove also not much use if you are confined to the tent by bad weather. I can contemplate risking careful use of a gas stove under the fly, but a real fire - I think not.

..and no need anyway, if you make the liberating decision do ditch the stove!
« Last Edit: 07:41:47, 07/07/19 by richardh1905 »

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:48:42, 07/07/19 »
Done plenty of long trips when unable to use a stove. Boil in the bags are designed so they can be eaten cold. Shove them in your armpit an hour before sundown and they'll be lukewarm when you stop. Then splash in some Tabasco to trick your mouth into thinking they're really hot and close your eyes.

At the other end of the scale, I met someone with his own freeze-dryer. The food he made was amazing.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy