Author Topic: Pennine Way Winter Gear List  (Read 9872 times)

Another_Smith

Pennine Way Winter Gear List
« on: 15:26:50, 12/10/17 »
Hey Folks!

I'm attempting a complete walk of the Pennine Way starting from the 4th of March next year and have been collecting gear over the past 12 months for this and would like to know your thoughts on extra things you recommend.
I'll be attempting it with 100% camping and carrying all the food I need for the planned 14 days with me so I need some pointers for packing for an extended trip of this length as the most I have done so far is about 4 night/ 5 days walking with everything on my back.
Bearing in mind the time of year this will be happening what else am I going to need? If you know brands and models then feel free to suggest, I have my eye on a few things and I know some things that are missing but I'm sure I'll have missed stuff that I didn' consider. I buy fast and light and have tried to keep pack weight as minimal as comfortably possible for me so I'll list what I already have along with the weight below and go from there!

Backpack, Osprey Xenith 75   (2430g)
Hard Shell, Arcteryx Alpha FL   (325g)
Soft Shell, Rab   Vapor-Rise Alpine Jacket   (370g)
Thin Insulating, Rab Xenon X Jacket   (343g)
Thick Insulating, Rab Electron Jacket    (500g)
Fleece, Patagonia R1 Pullover   (337g)
Warm Base, Patagonia Capilene 4 expedition weight hoody   (252g)
Light Base, Icebreaker Oasis Long Sleeve Crewe (X2)   (464g)
Trouser, Rab Calibre Pants   (590g)
Boot, Scarpa Manta Pro GTX   (1640g)
Buff, Rab   Dryflo Tube   (24g)
Gloves, Extremities Insulated Waterproof Sticky Power Liner Glove (??g)
Socks, Smartwool PhD Outdoor Heavy Over-The-Calf Socks (x3) (??g)
Gaiter, Rab Latok Alpine Gaiter   (266g)
Stove, Jetboil Flash 1 Litre   (397g)
Gas, Jetboil Jetpower Fuel (1x 100g, 2x 230g)   (906g)
Tent, Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2   (1336g)
Ground Sheet, Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Footprint   (168g)
Sleeping Bag, Rab Ignition 3   (1212g)
Sleeping Mat, Thermarest Prolite Self Inflating   (396g)

There you have it so far, feel free to make suggestions on what you feel is inappropriate, not needed, and most importantly missing!

Cheers Folks.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way Winter Gear List
« Reply #1 on: 15:48:13, 12/10/17 »
A little hint to help you in your question. If you type in gear list or pennine way gear list or packing list in the search box in the top (ish) right hand of the screen you will gain entry into years of experience to this question.

Welcome to the site from lowly Lincolnshire..

There is a huge amount of experience on the site which I make use of, but I find that the search function helps most of the time, without the need to open a new thread on what could be a popular subject.

Hope to hear how you get on.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:56:00, 12/10/17 »
I see from your list you are going commando. Could save on weight but you risk dying of indecent exposure. You are taking no means of entertainment too so you could also die of boredom. Also I note you are not washing or drinking.

Presumably your strategy is to follow footprints and signs as I note no maps or navaids. A light might be handy too in March.
« Last Edit: 16:15:59, 12/10/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Another_Smith

« Reply #3 on: 16:24:10, 12/10/17 »
I see from your list you are going commando. Could save on weight but you risk dying of indecent exposure. You are taking no means of entertainment too so you could also die of boredom. Also I note you are not washing or drinking.

Presumably your strategy is to follow footprints and signs as I note no maps or navaids.

All very valid points, underwear I hadn't actually even considered!

I will be getting maps and I'm on the lookout for a GPS so that is covered
I have 2x 3L camelback bladders and will also take 2x 1L water bottles
The kindle will be coming and possibly the iPad Air along with a small solar panel (Anker PowerPort 21W, 416g in weight)
A bar of soap and a stream plus a little indecent exposure for the wash.

Another_Smith

« Reply #4 on: 16:46:43, 12/10/17 »

Presumably your strategy is to follow footprints and signs as I note no maps or navaids. A light might be handy too in March.

For navigation aids I was considering getting a Garmin eTrex 20X along with my iPhone 6 with Viewranger for backup and doing away with maps completely, would you suggest this?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:51:34, 12/10/17 »
That's exactly what I do.  Etrex20 is my primary nav aid, smart phone as back up.  Haven't carried paper maps for years.
Where there's a will ...

Another_Smith

« Reply #6 on: 16:56:42, 12/10/17 »
That's exactly what I do.  Etrex20 is my primary nav aid, smart phone as back up.  Haven't carried paper maps for years.

That's brilliant news, I've been looking recently for a reliable GPS and I'm torn between the Etrex20 for its simplicity but also the GPS MAP 64s for possible use snowboarding in the future or colder mountaineering trips I plan on doing in the future.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:14:36, 12/10/17 »
Are you really planning to carry all the food you need for 14 days?  Why not do some stocking up on the way?  Or have I misunderstood?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:16:14, 12/10/17 »
Whereas I just use my phone and have bought a large capacity battery to ensure that nothing goes flat. Clothing needs always bothered me, I felt I could never get it right. Nowadays I am content though. I now try to make use of some day time stuff to get through the nights as well. For example, if wearing tights under my trousers, they can be worn at night. I change my clothes each evening, at home it's in the morning. Likewise, my warm day jacket (I carry 2) E. G. Can be worn at night if it gets really cold. So my 'system' is to carry 2 underwear, 2 baselayers, etc and rotate each evening.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:16:50, 12/10/17 »
Sorry, didn't realise this was brought up on another thread.

motorlaunch

« Reply #10 on: 18:53:08, 12/10/17 »

I have 2x 3L camelback bladders and will also take 2x 1L water bottles

Don't know how much water you normally drink when walking, or what you need whilst in your tent. I would carry a Sawyer water filter so you can use the water along the route. Try to carry as little water as possible.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:10:02, 12/10/17 »
I agree up to a point, the maximum water I carry in the UK is 1.5L, never had a problem finding water on the PW even on the hottest days. Cattle troughs are always a good source, making sure of course that you only get directly from the ball [censored], not from the trough drinking area.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:20:20, 12/10/17 »
I could never find a way of filling a 65L bag, at my age I do not think I could carry it. The largest bag for me is 50L, it was big enough when I first started hiking but nowadays I can't even fill my latest 48L. I reckon I could easily get away with 45L but just not prepared to spend out again. I'm not an expert but I cut down stuff and weight every year. At my limit now I think?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:47:54, 12/10/17 »
I could never find a way of filling a 65L bag, at my age I do not think I could carry it. The largest bag for me is 50L, it was big enough when I first started hiking but nowadays I can't even fill my latest 48L. I reckon I could easily get away with 45L but just not prepared to spend out again. I'm not an expert but I cut down stuff and weight every year. At my limit now I think?

It's not so much the capacity of the bag but how much it weighs when filled.

My bag is 75L and I pretty much fill it right up for a multiple-day walk, that's main compartment, lid and side pockets, while my overtrousers are rolled up and strapped on the top, and my waterproof jacket is laid across the top underneath the flap.

That'll probably make you throw your hands up in horror, GWW, and some others on here too. But it only weighs circa 12kg / 26.5lb including rations for 4 days and a litre of water. I'm not as strong as an ox and I bet I'm older than you, but I carry it with ease, well almost, and I'm sure you would have no trouble.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:23:11, 12/10/17 »
I would not have a problem filling 65l in th winter with food for that long.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy