Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126785 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #420 on: 10:21:21, 12/08/17 »
I think I'd almost feel cheated now if I managed a LDP with no bad weather!  ;D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #421 on: 19:42:45, 18/08/17 »
In Middleton. The path has been very wet making progress slow..but I guess this is more the real PW. Keld tomorrow..more moistness! It does feel quite a different walk heading south

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #422 on: 16:55:48, 19/08/17 »
Hi Johhny, I bet today was rather wet and boggy underfoot on the way from the track to Tan Hill, or did you take the track to the road and down that to the Inn?

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #423 on: 20:31:58, 20/08/17 »
It was dave. To be honest though it has been wet all the way including the cheviots and around Bellingham.  Cross fell/knock fell too. Slows you up. Great view of cow green that I didn't see when heading north.
Ground conditions a bit better south of tan Hill.  Btw tan Hill was a mad house yesterday..hen parties from Newcastle etc.
In hawes tonight..Malham tomorrow so an early start. Finish Friday...hopefully

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #424 on: 20:31:05, 22/08/17 »
Sorry to hear you've had a wet one, hope last few days are drier for you  O0
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #425 on: 20:40:04, 22/08/17 »
Thanks Jon. Oddly the weather has been ok. No prolonged heavy rain other than day one from ky. Seems to rain at night. Just the ground conditions making it tough going although it is a bit drier south of tan Hill.
Adds an hour to each day based on what I did in 2015.
At cowling tonight then mankinholes yha tomorrow. Never stayed there. Longer day to old house after that then the normal last day..fingers crossed.
It is worth doing it n-s different views and perspectives. Malham to cowling is harder than vice versa for example. Bit slower next time!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #426 on: 15:45:40, 27/08/17 »
So,
Finished on Friday afternoon and if I never do another Pennine Way; at least I can say have done it both ways. Am in "not for a good few years" mode at the moment but no doubt that will change over the winter.
What have I learnt this time round?
1) Edale is a good place to finish ( nice pub to relax for a few hours and an easy train link home).
2)  A 14 day PW is a good way to lose weight (10 kgs in my case apparently).
3) I will never, ever, be able to do a Spine.
4) 14 days is a fairly challenging for us elderly types.
5) the general outlines/high spots you remember from the first time are padded out by long less memorable sections you completely forgot about.
6) Some days feel harder N-S eg Mankinholes to Old House and others less hard eg Alston to Dufton. On balance I feel it is just a bit tougher N-S due to the preponderance of hilly finishes to days.
7) August is quiet and going south meant I walked alone all the way.
8) I was impressed with the number of solo women heading north
9) I was a bit concerned with the number of people I met at say 2pm, having walked for 6 plus hours to cross their path who confidently predicted they would get to the destination I had left early that morning, " by teatime" according to their guides.
10) YHAs are gradually getting less walker friendly and more focused on the cheap bed holiday market.
11) Tan Hill is not really a destination of choice any more.
12) it is remarkable how much new stuff you see heading south.
13) the wet summer has left the path looking a real mess in parts ( and the boggy ground adds considerably to effort required and times taken to complete sections).
14) Regardless of flagstones, this walk can be a brute in bad weather
It was great and I am proud to have got through it again
Will do a TR

Johnny

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #427 on: 11:50:59, 28/08/17 »

Looking forward to the TR.
It's making me think of doing a N to S Pennine way now......

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #428 on: 12:34:46, 28/08/17 »
I have done a few multi day walks and I always enjoy walking them in both directions. Although it's the same walk, it actually feels like a new one as the scenery is different both ways and some days feel easier/harder than in the opposite direction.

I haven't done the PW from North to South but threads like this and trip reports tempt me  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #429 on: 12:53:02, 28/08/17 »
Looking forward to the TR.
It's making me think of doing a N to S Pennine way now......

Me too ... have said I will do it every five years so 2022  O0
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #430 on: 23:15:55, 29/08/17 »
Well done Johnny, some good points, looking forward to your TR.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #431 on: 23:53:36, 05/01/18 »
https://theslowwalkeryork.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/johns-pennine-way-north-south-august_3.html
Very late but as promised, a TR from my 2nd PW undertaken during a wet August last year. Being north to south and, having an off piste day, I hope it is of some use/interest.
Best wishes

John

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #432 on: 07:37:46, 06/01/18 »
Thanks, I for one will study it with interest as my next PW will be N-S  O0
Where there's a will ...

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #433 on: 10:25:18, 06/01/18 »

I enjoyed the trip report.  It made me wonder if I could manage a N to S.  I know what you mean about feeling that one day you ought to do the Cheviot Ridge in a oner, we meant to but wimped out the day before when we realised that Joyce at Forest View would pick us up half way.
Don't know why you style yourself slow walker on your blog though.  A 14 day Pennine Way doesn't suggest slow to me!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #434 on: 11:52:31, 06/01/18 »
The blogs and comments bought back lots of memories, some bad but mostly good. Not sure if I'll have a go again? Last time, in heavy rain and fog I missed the path from Gregs hut to Dufton, ended up on a 7 mile detour. I also chose to hike the section from Haltwhistle to Alston, I wouldn't do it again, except for a couple of places I was very bored.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy