Author Topic: Pennine Way for the over 60's  (Read 126775 times)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way for the over 60's
« Reply #435 on: 23:37:36, 06/01/18 »
It does seem to take me longer than most of other blogs I read to cover the distance in question. Now whether this is the accuracy of the blogs I read or some other reason (eg the faster walkers are using baggage transfer), I am not sure but I do seem to eat up the hours on trail! This year for example on the SWCP (hilly) and the PW (boggy) I did just under 3.5 kmph average and just under 4kmph walking pace. I read people saying they do up to 5 kmph. This does seem quick to me over long distances/multi days but if true it leaves me trailing in the wake a bit: hence my self styled title!
Over the years I do seem to be very consistent in my pace. I know that I deliberately shorten my stride length and pace on up slopes to preserve gas in the tank as it were and I use two sticks on down slopes to preserve my knees; this may well be the cause. I don't rest a lot too ( I don't think). Being a solo walker, I wonder whether being in company helps one keep up a faster pace?
I quite like writing these blogs as it helps bring back memories. I was pleased to have done the PW again this wet summer but on reflection it was more of a slog and less fun on balance than in 2015 ( when there were more walkers about). In contrast the SWCP was mostly a very pleasurable walk despite the inclines!

forest view

« Reply #436 on: 23:51:15, 06/01/18 »
Hi John it was great to catch up again. North to South is always a lot more lonely than South to North and August is usually the quietest month as people are not keen on walking in the exreme heat (hee hee). Most walkers `do` the Pennine way in 15 to 20 days so 14 is quite short although in the awful conditions last August it probably seemed more than long enough. There are lots of people walking it this year especially in May and June so if we don`t find a buyer in the next 3 months it looks like it is going to a fun walking season. Good luck with whichever trail you are doing this year. Joyce & Colin
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #437 on: 11:25:21, 07/01/18 »
I reckon the PW is not going to give you up easily guys! As a walker, I hope you don't go but as a human being I hope you can a work a way out so you don't work yourself to a frazzle.
It was definitely a lonely walk last year. That and the bad conditions made it seem remote. Maybe this is more of true PW experience. I will have another go fairly soon; probably the normal way and in May or June. I still have to do the Cheviot run in one go! Colin may just have to see me again :D

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #438 on: 11:26:04, 07/01/18 »
Enjoy the Spine race!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #439 on: 13:47:15, 07/01/18 »
I reckon the PW is not going to give you up easily guys! As a walker, I hope you don't go but as a human being I hope you can a work a way out so you don't work yourself to a frazzle.

Yep, me too.  Hope it works out for you guys either way, will be sad though to do the PW again without you there  O0
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #440 on: 14:57:35, 07/01/18 »
https://theslowwalkeryork.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/johns-pennine-way-north-south-august_3.html
Very late but as promised, a TR from my 2nd PW undertaken during a wet August last year. Being north to south and, having an off piste day, I hope it is of some use/interest.
Best wishes

John

Just finished reading it, great TR so thanks for posting it.  I'll be following in your footsteps next time I do the PW, scheduled for 2022  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #441 on: 17:31:16, 07/01/18 »
I still haven't decided what to do for my main summers walk, maybe I better not read this until I have decided and planned it or I'll just be more tempted to do the Pennine Way again (this time N to S).

It will be sad to see Forest View sold, even if the new owners keep it as it is at the moment as you will always associate the establishment with Colin and Joyce, though I fully understand how difficult it must be to keep it going.

I do hope any new owners keep it the way it is because it will obviously make the Pennine Way harder to plan as there's nowhere else along this section so it would require other local B&Bs etc dropping off and picking up walkers.

Anyway...do I read it now????  ;)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

forest view

« Reply #442 on: 19:57:18, 07/01/18 »
That is why we cancelled the contract with the Estate agent they were trying to sell it to someone who had bought hotels off them in the past!! but it needs to be an `only hotel` for it`s owners so we are now trying to find it`s new owners ourselves. We are not looking for someone to buy it we are looking for the right people to buy it. So if any of you are on facebook a friend is putting it on Forest Views facebook page in a few days time (she has flu just now) please when it  goes on can you share it with as many people as possible and ask those people to also share it so that if anyone is looking for an escape to the countryside with a job and a home for life they will see it.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #443 on: 20:35:06, 07/01/18 »
I certainly will and it is quite a different walk N-S Brian; so in a way not really doing it again!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #444 on: 20:43:13, 07/01/18 »
I certainly will and it is quite a different walk N-S Brian; so in a way not really doing it again!

Agreed, I've done quite a few LDP's in both directions as it's always different going in the opposite direction, plus the scenery.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

High Way Chris

« Reply #445 on: 17:29:32, 09/01/18 »
If you fancy a shorter Pennine Way take a look at the Mid Pennine Way http://www.midpennineway.uk/ [nofollow]
Lots of fantastic walking but a bit less daunting.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #446 on: 21:30:39, 09/01/18 »
In truth I quite like the PW being a little bit daunting O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #447 on: 14:22:58, 10/01/18 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #448 on: 16:00:46, 10/01/18 »

I agree. The attraction of the PW is because it isn't easy and the length of it. A shorter and easier version would not have the same feeling as when you reach Kirk Yetholm or Edale at the end of your trek. It would then just be another long distance route,

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #449 on: 16:43:14, 10/01/18 »

The Shed awaits you! The route was desribed by Wainwright as being the real Pennine Way and only  suitable for the most resolute and determined of he-men carrying food and shelter on their backs.If you fit that desription you can have a go. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy