Author Topic: Weekend in south west coastal path  (Read 3317 times)

Cathhj

Weekend in south west coastal path
« on: 11:41:07, 09/10/16 »
I wonder if anyone can advise me (or indeed signpost me to a similar thread if this has already been discussed). I did the first 60 miles of the SWCP last year by myself and my mum loved the sound of it and I think would love to try. She likes to go for a walk and regularly walks 6/8 miles, usually on the flat, but is in her 60s. My plan is to take her for Mother's Day for a weekend (sat and Sunday walking) but I wonder if anyone could advise on which sections to do? I want a section with lovely views but with easy to moderate difficulty, and not too long, maybe 10-12 miles max?
Anyone have any asvice?

devonboy

Re: Weekend in south west coastal path
« Reply #1 on: 21:37:21, 10/10/16 »
Have a look at this site http://www.happyhiker.co.uk/ [nofollow]

select the Devon page.

I recommend Noss Mayo Pennisular or Salcombe to East Prawle for SWCP. If you fancy a nice flat moorland walk  -
Chagford to Fingle Bridge

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:45:26, 11/10/16 »
I would second Salcombe to East Prawle.

You don't say if the 12 miles is over 2 days and whether you need to get back a parked car or would like use buses (be careful of lack of sunday services)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:58:21, 11/10/16 »
The bit that ends up by the river otter from  Sidmouth is nice. You can make a circle (though there is a bit of a steep uphill but not too long, along an ancient lane to complete the circle, or you could just walk back along the river again.

https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/walksdb/38/

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:54:09, 11/10/16 »
The bit that ends up by the river otter from  Sidmouth is nice. You can make a circle (though there is a bit of a steep uphill but not too long, along an ancient lane to complete the circle, or you could just walk back along the river again.

https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/walksdb/38/

I love this walk and do it quite often but don't agree with the description in the link that there is only one down and one up. Parking on the very top of a hill always seems to me a bit daft as you're bound to have to finish going up and the path back up from Passaford Farm is long and steep. As well as the long down (or up if you go the other way round) from Ladram to High Peak is also steep and though absolutely gorgeous the cliff path up to Brandy Head and along hs a few steepish bits.
You could park in Otterton (excellent cafe and pub) walk out to the coast using paths to Stantyway Farm, turn West along the coast and finish back along the R Otter. Shorter but perhaps easier for the OP's mother. In fact there are so many variations using the footpaths around Otterton, none of which have I ever found unusable, that if she is happy map reading they could cobble together their own walk. Might even see one of the beavers if they are very lucky. (sorry got a bit carried away there :-[)

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:15:31, 11/10/16 »
You're probably right Jac. I haven't done this for some years and only remeber the up at the end, thinking it mainly level. My oh managed it without too much whinging so I probably thought it easier than it is. Sorry to mislead, though it is a great walk.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Tribble

« Reply #6 on: 15:33:13, 04/11/16 »
I walked along the section near Newquay a few years ago. Dramatic views of the sea crashing against the rocks. My route included the path overlooking Watergate Beach (which I think is the famous surfing beach), Newquay for lunch, then (as I recall) back inland via St Columb Minor and Tregustick Farm.

I did this as a daytrip flying from Heathrow to Newquay Airport, aka RAF St Mawgan. I'm not sure if that's still possible. On the way back a helpful landmark was an old military aircraft that had been parked on the edge of the airfield for ages - I think that's gone now as well.

John Walker

« Reply #7 on: 21:17:50, 04/11/16 »
If you are looking for a weekend walk on the SW Coast Path without too much scrambling or climbing, but hopefully taking in some typical sections, how about a walk on the Lizard Peninsula, from Coverack to Helford Passage.  This is about 15 miles total, with a possible overnight B&B stop at Porthallow (the half-way point on the SWCP).  You get plenty of cliffs, possibly a chough or two, peace and quiet, two estuaries, a short ferry crossing and continuous beautiful views. And there are a few refreshment stops on the way.  If you want to do this as a one-way walk then Coverack can be reached by bus from Helston, and Helford Passage could be reached by bus from Falmouth.  Just one of very many possibilities.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure your mum will enjoy the SWCP experience. 
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Asomodai

« Reply #8 on: 14:45:17, 24/11/16 »
I would second Salcombe to East Prawle.

You don't say if the 12 miles is over 2 days and whether you need to get back a parked car or would like use buses (be careful of lack of sunday services)

I wouldn't recommend this section due to some tricky bits that get dangerous in poor weather just before reaching Prawle Point. Though it does depend on your mothers fitness and surefootedness!

Personally I would recommend Portwrinkle to Plymouth. Some lovely views. Not too difficult.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy