Author Topic: Mans best friend...?  (Read 15079 times)

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Mans best friend...?
« Reply #30 on: 19:42:04, 28/12/16 »
Reading through all these posts does make me wonder ....... why people who live in towns with no need for a dog in their work want to buy a dog.  And this is aimed at young males particularly.  Do they have an inferiority complex without an aggressive hound to boost their confidence?

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 20:28:14, 28/12/16 »
This sounds like a gross generalisation, Altrando. I don't need a dog. Most dog owners m or f don't need a dog. I have dogs for a number of reasons. I can't see what difference it makes whether the person is in a town or otherwise. I know plenty of single males with perfectly ordinary egos, who have dogs and look after them well. Maybe the town areas you go to are a lot rougher than the places I frequent, so perhaps this applies there. :-\
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

sbt

« Reply #32 on: 20:42:45, 28/12/16 »
I have 3 Staffordshire Bull terriers and a skinhead so what does that make me 😃

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 21:21:16, 28/12/16 »
I have 3 Staffordshire Bull terriers and a skinhead so what does that make me 😃
Do you take the 4 of them out for walks or just the dogs and leave the skinhead at home to do the housework?

sbt

« Reply #34 on: 21:25:07, 28/12/16 »
😂 have to be carefull as wouldn't want people to think I'm some sort of thug so wear a hat😅

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:08:19, 30/12/16 »
People are different, some live in the country, some live in towns. In my area, the problem is 30+ year old butch men, trying to look like butch men who have bought equally butch looking dogs, complete with spiked butch collars and butch leads to match. Its not really a problem, they just cause a snigger as they mince past!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 12:44:36, 30/12/16 »
One individual with a large dog may not be a problem, it is the numbers. Out of a % of owner who cannot control their dogs and do not believe that that they have a responsibility to learn about dog training, their is a large % who own large dogs, which can cause a proportionate amount of damage for their size. I know because I had the hands on care for 140 pedigree Suffolk ewes, which were attacked by 3 Alsatians. Complete with the surgery on their wounds.

Today the average dog owner thinks dog psychology is more important than physical control.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Pedro

« Reply #37 on: 13:09:08, 31/12/16 »
Out of a % of owner who cannot control their dogs and do not believe that that they have a responsibility to learn about dog training, their is a large % who own large dogs, which can cause a proportionate amount of damage for their size. I know because I had the hands on care for 140 pedigree Suffolk ewes, which were attacked by 3 Alsatians. Complete with the surgery on their wounds.
Today the average dog owner thinks dog psychology is more important than physical control.
In comparison to the very small percentage of dogs which attack animals, the slaughter of animals by farmers reaches disgustingly high percentages. I live in Andalucia, where there are very few sheep or other farm animals. For my convenience my own dog is generally on the lead when I walk but most Spanish people allow their pets to walk free. I do not know anybody (or any animal) who has ever been bitten by a dog either here or in the UK. I can only conclude that farmers represent the greatest danger by far to all animals.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:30:11, 31/12/16 »
Dogs are a nuisance, have had several problems over the years, I can remember being bitten and hospitalised by dogs on my paper round when I was a lad.

So I can sympathise with the posties and delivery people.

More recently dogs seem to think you are fair game when out running/cycling and often chase after you, the owners always say it won't bite BUT I still end up at a&e for yet another tetanus jab.

Was out on my bike last week, a little yappy thing came running at me so I gave it a right good boot, the owner went beserk BUT I didn't need a tet jab for once.

And nobody's mentioned dog (s)hit yet.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 21:15:35, 31/12/16 »
In my opinion the worst place for dog [censored] is Spain, or at least the area that I frequent most, the Costa Blanca. Yuk!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:15:41, 01/01/17 »
And nobody's mentioned dog (s)hit yet.

Little plastic packages hanging out to remind "doggy lover" of their pooches last bout of incontinence. Even if they think they are hiding their lazy habits, winter reveals all.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

dan76

« Reply #41 on: 15:39:07, 01/01/17 »
You will find no truer friend than a dog.

I have always found that walking with dogs takes hiking to a new level - it feels natural to walk in a pack.. probably some past connection to our hunter gatherer pasts.

I used to regularly walk with my three collies without an issue. As ever, it is dependent on the responsibility of other dog owners. Some seem to think it is acceptable to let their dogs run wild in the countryside, and many dogs have paid the price courtesy of a farmers gun.

As long as you respect the countryside, animals, and others property, it is a great feeling.
I lived in a forest for a few months
Now i'm a fairweather camper +glamper..

Owner@
https://campingpodswales.com [nofollow]
https://campingpodsyorkshire.com [nofollow]

Pedro

« Reply #42 on: 17:20:16, 01/01/17 »
I used to regularly walk with my three collies without an issue. As ever, it is dependent on the responsibility of other dog owners. Some seem to think it is acceptable to let their dogs run wild in the countryside, and many dogs have paid the price courtesy of a farmers gun.
I agree with everything that dan says but cannot accept that a farmer has the right to kill dogs, sheep, cows or any other animal whether it is "his" or not. I do not have the right to kill my son "because he is mine". The natural life span of sheep is 12 to 14 years. Farmers send them for slaughter after 6 to 8 months. We often forget that we too are animals.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:50:11, 01/01/17 »
I do not have the right to kill my son "because he is mine".

but wouldn't you want to defend him if his life was in danger?

that's basically what a farmer is doing if his livestock is threatened by a dog (or a fox)

Pedro

« Reply #44 on: 18:06:56, 01/01/17 »

but wouldn't you want to defend him if his life was in danger?

that's basically what a farmer is doing if his livestock is threatened by a dog (or a fox)
Whether I want to defend my son is not the point. The point is that it is not acceptable in the eyes of the law for me to kill another person. I would prefer to extend that protection to all animals. The farmer's interest is purely to save the sheep till it is 6 to 8 months old and it is more profitable to slaughter it. My interest would be to let my son live a full life and die of natural causes. Not the same at all. I do not accept the right for a farmer to own sheep, cows etc for the purpose of slaughtering the animals when their slaughter is most profitable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy