Author Topic: Phone or Compact Camera Suggestions for Walking  (Read 5615 times)

Forkbeard

I'm currently (and have been for some time) suffering from a bad knee that seems to be getting worse as I get older and I need to lighten my walking load. I've decided to downgrade my camera gear and just get a compact or even a phone. I have a lumia 640 which isn't bad camera wise for the odd share online, but I would like to be able to make a few prints every now and then.

Sooo, a) Has anyone got any samples of pictures taken on their phones I can look at? And b) can anyone recommend a decent compact camera that doesn't cost the earth? As a guide I'd be wanting to stay under 250 quid if possible and don't mind going second hand.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Phone or Compact Camera Suggestions for Walking
« Reply #1 on: 18:18:41, 02/03/17 »
For similar reasons (I got a bit fed up of lugging a full size DSLR around all the time) I decided to get a compact.
After some research, I ended up with a Sony RX100 and I'm very happy with it. For me its only down side is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Sometimes it can be tricky to see detail in the screen in bright light.
I got it from Amazon for about 250 quid.

To see some examples; click on my Flickr link below, many of the recent photos were taken with it.

uncled8249

« Reply #2 on: 18:41:15, 02/03/17 »
I am more weight conscious about my cameras now too! I often just take my compact which is a panasonic lumix TZ80.  difficult to get used to with a lot of the  settings in menus and not to hand, but a fantastic Leica lens, with good zoom, you just have to hold it really steady lol.  And it does have a viewfinder (of sorts) that I have used just a few times. It`s probably already been superseded, in fact when i bought it there were also a TZ70 and a TZ100 available.  New models don`t hang around on the shelves nowadays.  So that`s two heavy bodies 3 modern lenses and an old 400mm lens that can wait at home.
I'm Norfolk 'n good!    OTBC
more pics at www.flickr.com/uncled8249/albums

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:53:26, 04/03/17 »
If your really keen, and do not mind the expense, a GoPro Hero 4 Silver would be a great camera for the outdoors.
Its tiny dimensions and pocketability, are perfect for a take anywhere camera, and it can play and record video in 4k quality.
There are numerous digital cameras on the market, that outperform the GoPros for less money, but very few of them are guaranteed 100% water and condensation proof, down to 30m depth of water.

We all know how unpredictable the British weather can be, and having a camera where you can take crystal clear photographs and video in driving rain, is a big bonus, even if you know that the kind of photographs your likely to take are fine weather ones, having a camera you can take to the hills in any weather, is a big bonus.

Just imagine if you saw a particular photograph in less than ideal conditions, using a normal digital camera would be out of the question.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:57:57, 04/03/17 »
Must say the only reason I have a camera is to take and share photos ... I believe we're still waiting to see some of yours, shame as it's a (or rather another) subject you seem to know so much about  :-\
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:07:13, 04/03/17 »
Ive had several digital items destroyed over the years, due to leaving them in my ruck sac, and having the dreaded condensation destroy the battery terminals and lcd screens.
No matter how well you try and protect your digital equipment, rain and condensation will find their ways into most modern equipment, if they were not designed initially to be 100% waterproof.
Having the capability of taking a photograph from the summit of any mountain, in whatever weather, is one of the reasons i bought a GoPro.
It takes great photographs for its size and can be stored in the smallest of spaces, almost the perfect go anywhere camera.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:08:58, 04/03/17 »
the proof is in the pudding....
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:15:26, 04/03/17 »
I have a lot of spare time on my hands, so like to experiment with new technology, and read extensively on numerous subjects.
GoPro have released a Hero 5 model, but its not a huge improvement on the Hero 4 Silver, so until another action camera is released to the market that beats the Hero 4 for performance and facilities, its my current camera of choice.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:32:11, 04/03/17 »
Agreed, it's a lovely action camera, and apparently it has 'new experience-enhancing features include HiLight Tag, which lets you mark key moments for easy playback, editing and sharing' ... perhaps you could use some of that "lots of spare time" and share some of your key moments here, I think there are many forum members dying to see them  ;)
Where there's a will ...

fishingbadger

« Reply #9 on: 23:37:20, 04/03/17 »

Personally I would go for a something like a GoPro, the main problem with using your phone camera is that the battery life might not last the whole day, which could end up being a problem if you need the phone for an emergency.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:10:39, 05/03/17 »
I have a lot of spare time on my hands, so like to experiment with new technology, and read extensively on numerous subjects.
GoPro have released a Hero 5 model, but its not a huge improvement on the Hero 4 Silver, so until another action camera is released to the market that beats the Hero 4 for performance and facilities, its my current camera of choice.

still waiting to see some of your photos!  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:00:35, 05/03/17 »
Jog my memory again, every time i attempt to download various photographs from my MAC to a PC, i forget which is the best free software to use.
I know its a very straight forward process, but its ages since ive done it, and i am keen to share some of my recently discovered Scottish pics.

water gypsy

« Reply #12 on: 15:35:52, 05/03/17 »
I saw a pink animal fly over my house today...... :D :D :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:43:15, 05/03/17 »
Jog my memory again, every time i attempt to download various photographs from my MAC to a PC, i forget which is the best free software to use.
I know its a very straight forward process, but its ages since ive done it, and i am keen to share some of my recently discovered Scottish pics.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2636421/migrate-your-files-from-a-mac-to-a-pc
Looking forward to seeing them. Could you not just publish them using photobucket?
Solvitur Ambulando

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:05:21, 05/03/17 »
You beat me to it Ninthace; I was going to suggest just uploading them to Flickr and posting the link.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy