Author Topic: Paramo Washing  (Read 3738 times)

nesty

Paramo Washing
« on: 13:34:03, 29/07/17 »
My Paramo complementary washing products have arrived.

I am ok on the instructions stages. Though do they have to go in for a full on wash,or can say a 30 mins cycle be used?

Got this new Miele and full cycles are 1hr 45 mins each.
Having to do 3 cycles. IE first just a wash through to get rid of any detergent, then 2 cycles (Nikwax, then TX direct) and tumble dry.
Gonna be all day  ::) !

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Paramo Washing
« Reply #1 on: 14:28:41, 29/07/17 »

I am ok on the instructions stages. Though do they have to go in for a full on wash,or can say a 30 mins cycle be used?

Got this new Miele and full cycles are 1hr 45 mins each.
Having to do 3 cycles. IE first just a wash through to get rid of any detergent, then 2 cycles (Nikwax, then TX direct) and tumble dry.
Gonna be all day  ::) !

..........and now you know why I told you to do them by hand!  ;D

Don't bother with the tumble drying just wring them out by hand and stick on the washing line to dry. Paramo stuff usually air dries very quickly and there's no benefit from tumble drying it as doing it makes no difference at all to the waterproofing.

If you use the washing machine before you start pull the detergent drawer completely out and give that and behind it a good clean before the first empty cycle as that's where any residue from detergent/powder seems to collect. Length of the cycle depends on how dirty it is but make sure the temp etc match the label in the garment/s. I'm sure a shorter cycle will be fine if the stuff isn't dirty.

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 14:37:30, 29/07/17 »
Unbelieveable. Now, I can see why you promote handwashing!  O0
I might be ok with the detergent tray, as no powder ever been run through this machine. So should be easy clean out there if choose machine!
Though, Full cycle it's gonna be 5 hours, before I even get to dry them!
Ok about tumble drying, I heard somewhere that the heat activates the TX direct?

I love my paramo, well until the washing that is!  :-\

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:50:59, 29/07/17 »
Nikwax's website says "Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting if care label allows".

Paramo's website says "Garments can be dried naturally or tumble-dried on a cool setting - if you suffer from static we recommend that you do not tumble dry your base layer garments".

As far as I know tumble drying is not required to "activate" the DWR and makes no difference on Paramo gear.

I'll send you a bill for the half hour I've just saved you.  ;D

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 15:14:44, 29/07/17 »
Nikwax's website says "Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting if care label allows".

Paramo's website says "Garments can be dried naturally or tumble-dried on a cool setting - if you suffer from static we recommend that you do not tumble dry your base layer garments".

As far as I know tumble drying is not required to "activate" the DWR and makes no difference on Paramo gear.

I'll send you a bill for the half hour I've just saved you.  ;D

Lol current energy rates about a £100!  ::)
Static that's a no no. Read my other post on walking trousers. I can really suffer from static!

Moon Raker

« Reply #5 on: 16:53:12, 29/07/17 »

How did you get that !

Moon raker

nesty

« Reply #6 on: 16:57:25, 29/07/17 »

How did you get that !

Moon raker

It's explained on another thread 'Paramo wetting out'.
I bought a brand new Paramo Helki earlier in the year, only worn it about twice got soaked through.
Complained to paramo and they issued me with free stuff to try and re-activate it. If that don't work I can return for refund. under year warranty. 

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:06:14, 29/07/17 »

I've had Paramo stuff for years and I've never used a tumble dryer for them, mainly because until very recently I didn't have one.
The Nikwax seems to work perfectly well without, I just stick stuff on the line.

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:35:48, 29/07/17 »
I use the express setting on my machine for anything other than my sons chef whites. I feel that half an hour sloshing around in water with whatever products is quite sufficient for cleaning or treating items.

I have some waterproof trousers which say tumble dry or a warm iron to keep them  waterproof but don't know about products.
« Last Edit: 09:59:51, 30/07/17 by alewife »
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:27:57, 29/07/17 »
Some Miele washing machines have a programme for outer wear such as goretex etc. Not all cycles are that long on my machine but it is a few years old.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

nesty

« Reply #10 on: 23:17:23, 29/07/17 »
Some Miele washing machines have a programme for outer wear such as goretex etc. Not all cycles are that long on my machine but it is a few years old.

Thanks.
Was at my folk today and had a look at their Miele. Sure enough there is a Outerwear & Proofing programme! These Germans think of everything!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:51:37, 03/08/17 »
Never even occurred to me to tumble dry any of my Paramo kit. I do tend to do a short wash for the proofing as on my machine that has a lower spin speed.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

wobblyknees

« Reply #12 on: 21:24:46, 03/08/17 »
I don't think tumble drying does anything to enhance the waterproofness of Paramo products. From memory, I think they might even state this on their website.

Many other manufacturers do advocate tumble drying to revive waterproof clothing, e.g. Rab Event.

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 22:16:19, 03/08/17 »
All the garments done now. Just have to test them out, which won't be too far in the future with this currrent weather!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy